My new build and Overhaul on the supra!!

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
So a few months ago my supra got rod knock. I finally got around to pull the engine out and getting it to a machine shop to have it checked out. Turns out the noise was coming from #6 rod bearing. However, the damage to the bearing was very minimal. The shop also found that my crank had some damage. They found the rear thrust bearing in my oil pan, and my front thrust bearing was destroyed. We still are not sure what caused damage to my front thrust bearing. The shop said it was very unusual because my crank was some how being pushed back toward the tranny. So they arent sure what was causing that to happen. Any ideas??

Anyway, I got another crank, all new bearings, and new piston rings. The block was honed and hot tanked. And all the other work goes into rebuilding the motor. The head was in great condition, so that was good. The engine is still at the machine shop, they are waiting for the crank to come then get it all back together!

In the mean time I have some new goodies for the supra. We have also cleaned and painted the engine bay :)

New parts:

76mm turbo
Front facing intake manifold
Maft translator
4 inch intake pipe
Bigger intercooler and all 3 inch intercooler pipes

76mm turbo
p1609032_1.jpg

p1609032_2.jpg

FFIM
p1609032_3.jpg

4 inch intake pipe, with pcv port welded on
p1609032_4.jpg

And here is the progress on painting the engine bay. We painted it black because I'm going to be having the whole car painted black at some point. This isn't a very good picture, was taken on a cell phone. But it looks great, and the paint is gloss black.

p1609032_5.jpg

p1609032_6.jpg

I will add more pictures as the progress continues!! Just let me know what you think!

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
I know everyone loves pictures, so here are few pics of my car.

Also Im not exactly sure what LB the pressure plate is, what ever comes with the ACT 6 puck clutch kit. It was rated for like 750 ft. lbs though..

p1609035_1.jpg

p1609035_2.jpg

p1609035_3.jpg

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Thanks for the support guys! really needed it. This is the longest my supra has been down and I dont like it at all..lol I really cant wait to get it running again.

And cole I dont know how the fitment with the turbo will be yet, I already have 3 spacers, I had to for the 67mm to fit lol..... hope it fits!!!

And i'll be sure to get plenty more photo's as its all going together. Might be about a week before any more progress is made...

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
the machine shop is a local shop in Indy that a good friend referred me to. Its not a big name shop, just a small owned business. But from what I've seen they have been doing really good work and are very nice. Iv talked to the guy about every day on the phone, him explaining to me exactly what went wrong with the motor, and us discussing what needs to be done or what i should do. I've been over to the shop several times and they show me the process and let me watch some of the work being done. I find it pretty interesting.

As for the wheels and tires... They are no longer on the car :( I was driving on the interstate and hit a really deep pot hole and it bent the back rims really bad..so I'm on all sawblades right now. They were chevlon racing wheels. Apparently they are old school Japanese racing wheels and pretty rare. They were really wide and very light weight. They were 18s and I had 295 BF Goodrich KDW tires on them. The rims are like 11 or 11.5 inches wide.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
So the motor is finally done and I got it back.. slowly getting everything back on the motor, and waiting for my intercooler piping to get here. Running into a problem though. The turbo is hitting the manifold so i cant clock it down to the stock location to run the intercooler pipe down to the intercooler.. I will have to clock the turbo up, so how should i go about routing the IC piping from the turbo to the intercooler?? anyone have suggestions or pictures of a setup that has routed the IC piping differently?

Here are some pictures of the motor:

p1614219_1.jpg

p1614219_2.jpg

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
made some progress this past weekend... finally got the motor put in the car and started reconnecting everything.. slow process, having to re-wire a bunch of stuff, and lengthen some plug wires. here is a somewhat current picture. got some other stuff installed after this picture was taken, but it was dark by then so couldnt take a picture with my phone..

p1619397_1.jpg

87turbosupra

"The 87' Burgundy"
Apr 11, 2005
Colo Spgs, CO
Where did you get the ffim, how much. What engine management are you running. Intercooler specs? Your setup is what I'm
wanting to do to mine.