My Mosin Adventures

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I figured I would start a thread about the Mosin Nagant, and be able to help anyone else that picks one up and wants to modify it.

So to start it off, I purchased 2 of these from my local B&M store for $105 each. (yes you can get them online for $80, but I like to support my local business's and with a rifle like these, your gonna want to really check them out in person first).

Ammo is cheap:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A76254R

SO, for basically less than $200 you can have one hell of a time.

Ok, So here is the link to the stock I ordered and received in around 6 weeks wait. (I know it sounds long but, considering that it will fit a weapon made more than 6 decades ago, well that's fine with me). The stock needed a bit of sanding to make it fit, but no biggie. Although I cannot stress this enough, DO NOT USE A DREMEL or any other power sander. Hand sand it all. Total Cost for the 1" buttpad and sling points, plus the action fitting (stock cut specially for the Mosin), was $239.

Here is what she looks like as of now:
p1767735_1.jpg

As you can see the barrel is pretty damn long, and with the 1" pad makes the gun a tab bit taller.
p1767735_2.jpg

Going to find a stain I like and go with it, I may just end up doing 4-5 coats of clear lacquer, and polishing it, as the black and grey wood grain is really starting to grow on me.

Next up is having the bolt cut and bent.

Then comes figuring out how to get picante rails on this thing and a scope mounted.

After all of that, I'm thinking a bi-pod to finish it all off...then to get it sited in and go deer hunting with it.

Last edited:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
thats a nice looking stock. forgive me ignorance, but you basically swap all of the parts onto your new stock and thats it?

and that ammo is cheap, $0.17/round? seems like this is a good way to get a nice cheapish rifle to learn how to shoot?

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Enraged;1768079 said:
thats a nice looking stock. forgive me ignorance, but you basically swap all of the parts onto your new stock and thats it?

and that ammo is cheap, $0.17/round? seems like this is a good way to get a nice cheapish rifle to learn how to shoot?

Yep. Its two screws and its apart.

IJ.;1768082 said:
I cringed when I saw how it's resting against the wall Mario.... :(

It was just for the picture and its getting painted when the woman is here lol

Oppie1;1768086 said:
Just bought one yesterday. Can't wait to check it out.

Be ready for a sore shoulder lol

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
SideWinderGX;1768214 said:
Good to see this thread here, just bought one from Gander Mountain for $99 + tax (on sale from $179, what a ripoff...). Gotta clean all the cosmoline off still.

Take it apart, one flat head on top and one on bottom, spray it down with Windex or Brake cleaner (the gun parts, not stock), the stock hang up in a really hot place for a while and let it leak for a good week or two.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
Also take a bottle of windex with you when you shoot your new shoulder relocators. Most 7.62mmx54r is corrosive. After you get done relocating your shoulder use the windex to clean the barrel so your barrel does not corrode. Also red shellac is what you use to refinish the wood to original finish. Also check this site out for any info you may want

http://7.62x54r.net/

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Gotta find a place to hang the stock, but I do have a high wattage fluorescent light in the garage I'll start to use tomorrow. Most of the parts are soaking in brake cleaner (I need sleep, they'll be fine overnight) thanks to this link: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm
Thanks for the tip!

edit: Just noticed your link hosts the one I posted, good to know my googling skills are still decent!

Mario/labrat: how liberal are you with the windex after shooting? Light drizzle poured down the barrel or what haha :p

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
A good steam cleaner will remove cosmoline well. All you have to do is get it hot enough to melt and it runs off.

On the wood, it has the effect of removing dents as well, so win/win situation there. The wood is the biggest issue with cosmoline as it soaks in. Steam might not get enough out, you might have to wrap it in newspaper and get it in a really hot place (heard of people leaving it wrapped in newspaper in their car out in the sun, or kittyliter, etc).

Regardless, you'll still need to refinish the wood. You can use what they originally used, but modern finishes are more durable. Up to you, as it's yours now :)

It's important to inspect the rifle well (headpspace comes to mind), or have a gunsmith check it out if you don't feel up to it. (most of the directions are in that link posted earlier)

I've always wondered how difficult it would be to have the weapon treated. There are several finishes that could be used that would completely ignore the corrosive surplus ammo (nickle boron, melonite, chrome). Wonder how expensive it would be...

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Poodles;1768701 said:
I've always wondered how difficult it would be to have the weapon treated. There are several finishes that could be used that would completely ignore the corrosive surplus ammo (nickle boron, melonite, chrome). Wonder how expensive it would be...

Hmmm, time to find out lol

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Poodles;1768828 said:
http://vuurwapenblog.com/2011/10/05...on-failzero-resist-corrosion-part-2/#comments

:)

Chroming the barrel would probably be the hardest part. The rest of it is pretty easy. I know jdub has done nickel boron before, doesn't sound too difficult so shouldn't be too expensive. Melonite I have no idea.

I'm betting polishing it would be cheaper. The inside bore of the barrel even be able to be nickel boron plated? Wouldn't it just wear off quickly? Forgive me for my ignorance on plating metals.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
That was my question as well...friend works at a anodizing/plating company that does military contract work and they regularly sneak in parts here and there. I would think the barrel would need to be prepped, and also the ID would shrink if plated?

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Poodles;1769019 said:
Paging jdub :)

LOL, waiting patiently.

SideWinderGX;1769058 said:
That was my question as well...friend works at a anodizing/plating company that does military contract work and they regularly sneak in parts here and there. I would think the barrel would need to be prepped, and also the ID would shrink if plated?

Don't exactly care about keeping it "a collectors item" I've got another one, and probably will buy one more here soon.

Here is something I recently found. Linky

AR15: With a custom barrel, Varmint Scope, and gunsmith trigger job, you can vaporize prairie dogs at 600 yards.
AK47: With a good rain, you can wait hidden in the mud at the side of a watering hole and wait for the game to come to you for a shot within 10 yards.
Mosin-Nagant: With a solid shooting position, you can hit that deer on the other side of the valley… and recover the bullet in the tree it was standing in front of.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, they're not exactly "collectors items" because all the records have been lost. About the only collectable versions I can think of would be sniper variants.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Poodles;1769444 said:
Yeah, they're not exactly "collectors items" because all the records have been lost. About the only collectable versions I can think of would be sniper variants.

True, but even those they made a metric shit ton of. It's still a hella fun rifle to shoot.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
SupraMario;1769380 said:
LOL, waiting patiently.

Don't exactly care about keeping it "a collectors item" I've got another one, and probably will buy one more here soon.

Here is something I recently found. Linky

AR15: With a custom barrel, Varmint Scope, and gunsmith trigger job, you can vaporize prairie dogs at 600 yards.
AK47: With a good rain, you can wait hidden in the mud at the side of a watering hole and wait for the game to come to you for a shot within 10 yards.
Mosin-Nagant: With a solid shooting position, you can hit that deer on the other side of the valley… and recover the bullet in the tree it was standing in front of.

Had to re-read your post...by 'ID' I meant barrel, inside diameter ;)

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
SideWinderGX;1769700 said:
Had to re-read your post...by 'ID' I meant barrel, inside diameter ;)

AHH! Lol, And yea I would figure it would. And even if it was coated, I would think a few rounds would just remove it pretty quickly.