My idea for tweeters

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
OfnaRcR4;1360078 said:
Great placement but tweeters are really supposed to be facing toward the opposite side. Ie. pass side tweeter pointed toward the driver.

You're completely incorrect. Some tweeters sound better on-axis and some sound better off-axis. There is no hard and fast rule for aiming tweeters, just point it toward you and then adjust the angle until it sounds good. Every vehicle and tweeter combination will react differently.

DontRevMe

Aug 2, 2009
Gainesville
Proper tweeter imaging should leave the listener not knowing where the sound is coming from. This can also be achieved with time correction. There may not a set rule on "aiming" tweeters, but there sure are rules on how "not to" position them.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
OfnaRcR4;1360078 said:
Great placement but tweeters are really supposed to be facing toward the opposite side. Ie. pass side tweeter pointed toward the driver.

nah! That is dependant on a lot of factors.

romaniello;1360108 said:
They're not 'supposed' to be pointed the opposite way. With proper tuning these locations can achieve the same results.

tuning can only cover so much. Have to have a good foundation. ;)

Boosted. That looks like an intresting concept but you will have some major time coherence problem in the upper frequency range and that will ultimatly effect crossover and ultimatly, the sizing of the "stage". Add to that the massive reflective rear window and it might throw the sound off more than help it.

Someone mentioned tweets being on/off axis... Really? I would LOVE to see an off axis plot for ANY tweeter (or any speaker for that matter) for freq response. I will take just one!

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
very consistent with general ghetto mods you see on MKIII ( putting something where its NOT suppose to be, instead of something that is suppose to be there).

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Pernilongo;1390395 said:
very consistent with general ghetto mods you see on MKIII ( putting something where its NOT suppose to be, instead of something that is suppose to be there).

say what?

Thankfully that is your only your opinion.

Not really. It can be anywhere the owner wants it to be. Hell I used to run horn loaded compression drivers under the dash. That is ghetto also?

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
figgie;1390573 said:
say what?

Thankfully that is your only your opinion.

Not really. It can be anywhere the owner wants it to be. Hell I used to run horn loaded compression drivers under the dash. That is ghetto also?

Thats where the horns are usually placed. I dont know how well you keep up with compression driver popularity but thats how they are usually installed: under the dash. nowadays its a common practice, i don't know what makes you think that someone would put them anywhere else. If you are cranky today and trying to call someone out for a fight, its not going to happen here. There are tweeter pods for tweeters and gauge pods for gauges, and yes thats just my subjective opinion, you also have plenty of your own. But in general almost every car audio maker failed to provide enough of various tweeter housings to allow the buyer to mount them at every possible angle.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Figgie...:)

Why not just put them in the door panel??

p1390831_1.jpg

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
The best sound stage and imaging is had when you are most centered in between, with most equal distance, and each tweeter is directly facing your ears. The ideal location for this effect is in the kick pod areas. Mine are simply surface mounted with a single screw.

adstweeter1.jpg

adstweeter2.jpg

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
im going to try and hide some in the door panel pockets facing upwards. probably use some 3M double sided tape or some velcro. Wont be so great for sound but id rather not cut holes in mint door panels or have big gauge pods to stare at.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
tekdeus;1391450 said:
The best sound stage and imaging is had when you are most centered in between, with most equal distance, and each tweeter is directly facing your ears. The ideal location for this effect is in the kick pod areas. Mine are simply surface mounted with a single screw.

adstweeter1.jpg

adstweeter2.jpg

In the supra, no such thing as equi-distance. Even on the kick pod/panel. There is about a 2 foot difference between left and right which in that little space is a significant difference.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Pernilongo;1390699 said:
Thats where the horns are usually placed. I dont know how well you keep up with compression driver popularity but thats how they are usually installed: under the dash. nowadays its a common practice, i don't know what makes you think that someone would put them anywhere else. If you are cranky today and trying to call someone out for a fight, its not going to happen here. There are tweeter pods for tweeters and gauge pods for gauges, and yes thats just my subjective opinion, you also have plenty of your own. But in general almost every car audio maker failed to provide enough of various tweeter housings to allow the buyer to mount them at every possible angle.

actually

the everyone puts them under the dash since it is easy as pie to do that. The highly creative put them inside the dash. Seen it numerous times as a judge and they sound fantastic for the system they did. Then you have the guys with lots of $ that create thier own waveguides.

92nsx;1390831 said:
Figgie...

Why not just put them in the door panel??

p1392131_1.jpg

I tried that, it sounded really nice but was having some issues in the cross over frequencies that made the sound stage go all over the place. :)

BTW, my background. I was doing audio comeptition in the novice circuit back in 1994 with my Polk speakers in almost the same place that 92nsx has them, had the opportunity to listen to SpeakerWork's championship winning Grand National, Graduated to pro class at the end of 95 and did it in 96 for a bit but by this time I was running The ID CD-1e (not the CD-2pro). then got out of the military and that was the end of that. All that time, I did run HLCD as I liked what I had heard from SpeakerWork's ride with "old" M series amplifiers from Phoenix Gold. Orion HCCA were to much $ at that time (and still fetch a freaking premium now a days).

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
KK-ma70;1364950 said:
Top tip: Tweeter house at the mirrors from the 98`Toyota Celica convertible fits perfect in the MKiii :icon_bigg

Do they literally snap into place or are they just the same shape? I'm curious as this seems to be the cleanest route to go with dicing up as little as possible.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Mine didn't fit for shit, OEM's snap into place, there don't even have the tabs...

Unless I got the wrong year, but they also didn't fit the way they were supposed to...

A70BoosTFienD

A.K.A. Knight Rider
Oct 28, 2008
Orlando, Florida, United States
i actually had the same problem with the covers and still havent figured it out. i had the same idea wit the tweeter install ans stubled on this today lol but i have pictures of the braket and the tweeter install but i dont have the covers at all. I got mine out of a cash for clunkers car so i lucked out and it was a convertable but i dont remember what year it was. i got the bracket, screws, and as much wire as possible.

Had to mod the bracket a little bit to make it work.

This was before i adjusted it because it was touching the a piller

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
figgie;1392131 said:
actually

the everyone puts them under the dash since it is easy as pie to do that. The highly creative put them inside the dash. Seen it numerous times as a judge and they sound fantastic for the system they did. Then you have the guys with lots of $ that create thier own waveguides.

I tried that, it sounded really nice but was having some issues in the cross over frequencies that made the sound stage go all over the place. :)

BTW, my background. I was doing audio comeptition in the novice circuit back in 1994 with my Polk speakers in almost the same place that 92nsx has them, had the opportunity to listen to SpeakerWork's championship winning Grand National, Graduated to pro class at the end of 95 and did it in 96 for a bit but by this time I was running The ID CD-1e (not the CD-2pro). then got out of the military and that was the end of that. All that time, I did run HLCD as I liked what I had heard from SpeakerWork's ride with "old" M series amplifiers from Phoenix Gold. Orion HCCA were to much $ at that time (and still fetch a freaking premium now a days).

i once saw a guy use waveguides behind the dash, firing up at the junction of the windshield and dash. He reshaped the dash to act as an extension of the horns. I imagine it took an assload of work.

I love the HCCA amps, have a 250 in my saturn right now. While the $230 I picked it up for on ebay may be pricey by todays standards, it was an impossible $750 back in the early 90's. (god help you if you wanted "the beast" 2100) you can get the 225's for about $100 all day long on ebay these days. Luckily only us "old guys" remember what they are. These kids are eating up the $159 dollar hifonics amps with those pretty led lights these days. Guess they will never understand how that little old 50 watt amp will crush their led-festooned "2000" watt paperweights.

God, i miss the days when names like Orion, Soundstream, Rockford Fosgate, US Amps, Hifonics, MB Quart, Precision Power, Xtant, Lanzar, and Alphasonic actually meant something.

Ive heard the SW grand national, harry kimura's acura legend, and mark fakuda's(misspelled im sure) blazer. imagine what these guys could do with modern equipment? LOl, try doing a google on aperiodic membrane and see how much info you CAN'T get!