my flywheel keeps comeing loose

Supra87T

2-Tone BLUE
Feb 23, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
I have also reused flywheel bolts with no ill effects. As poodle said, they should not have any problems as long as they were not over torqued. Just make sure you put locktite on them and torque them with a GOOD torque wrench.

chris1039

Jun 24, 2007
tucson, arizona
cjsupra90;1125432 said:
Although some might think this is a dumb question and no one asked it, but which bolts did you use? The manual flywheel ones, and not the one that were in your motor as an auto correct?

i used the manual trans bolts. i did notice that the car they were on that they were really tight and we had to use a breaker bar to get them off.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
chris1039;1125510 said:
i used the manual trans bolts. i did notice that the car they were on that they were really tight and we had to use a breaker bar to get them off.

so now that you have all of this information would you fork over the few extra dollars for new bolts or reuse the old ones? :biglaugh:

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Poodles;1125410 said:
Older fasteners if in good shape have already been heat cycled and burnished giving better torque readings, no reason to replace unless they're torque to yield fasteners or you're upgrading.

this is not true at all.

Manufacturer torque specs are based upon new fasteners, inserted into clean female threads. New fasteners had a consistent, predictable surface finish. As torque specifications are based solely on the predicted resistace within the threaded region and under the head of the bolt, any wearing of the threads, applied lubricant, or debris changes the "torque resistance" of the bolt, resulting in improper preload.

improved

Running!
Apr 4, 2005
California
I believe ARP ask for user to use moly, but thats only to ensure accuracy of the torque. Perhaps from all that is mentioned here red loctite might replace my moly this time.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
if the bolt is properly preloaded (and the thread form is intact), it will not back out. If ARP recommends moly lube with a specific torque value, listen to them, they've done their research.

loctite does not have the same lubricating characteristics as moly lube, so the torque required to achieve the same preload will be different.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
adampecush;1125595 said:
if the bolt is properly preloaded (and the thread form is intact), it will not back out. If ARP recommends moly lube with a specific torque value, listen to them, they've done their research.

loctite does not have the same lubricating characteristics as moly lube, so the torque required to achieve the same preload will be different.

Very very true... To add to this, make sure that your torque wrench is accurate... You might want to take it in and have it calibrated...

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
upgradedsupra;1125830 said:
Reusing flywheel bolts is like reusing a condom, you just don't do it.

:word8kn: for the amount of time it takes to get to the friggan things you use new ones. not gamble with used.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, really, I have a 7M crank in my garage I could take pics of...

The holes are blind on the 7M and go all the way through on the JZ's