My 7M passed away today

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
coulda been, but i know next to nothing on the subject either. itll get better, man. what doesn't kill you just makes you stronger, and it looks like youre still livin' on :)

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
similar thing happened to my buddies civic. He had an h22a with a t3, one day it overboosted to 15 psi(on a stock 11.5:1 comp engine). Seemed fine for months, then one day @ 70mph cruise speed, a connecting rod just broke in half. There was another rod in the engine that didn't break, but was bent. I guess they hold on a while after getting bent.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
yeah, good point. manufacuturing defects suck...havent had any myself but its gotta happen sometime.

on the oil relocation...i could see something happening with that...

do/did you have an oil cooler to cool the oil before it went into the block? i dont know JACK about those kits or cooling systems because i dont own a turbo....BUT

if super hot oil is getting added maybe the combined heat DID hurt something that the water cooling system couldn't help with...
how many degrees does it take to significantly compromise the strength of the metal used in the rods? (umm...yeah...i dont know what they're made of either...forged steel?)

that scenario might not even be CLOSE to possible...but it was just a thought. a rather ignorant guess really...but its a thought.

i dont know how oil works at overly high temps. obviously in time it would combust, but i dont know about its stability before then....

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Well no fire and just a busted block...

easily remedied. And manufacturing defect... at nearly triple the pintended power? somehow I doubt it ;)

My advise. pistons and cranks probably still good. The rods can be replaced with pauter or what ever company of your choosing.

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
I don't know if anyone mentioned this but, make sure that your girlfriend DOES NOT buy you cart parts for your birthday/Christmas. I know it's what we all really want and if money is spent it should be spent there. But really, she's never going to love seeing you use your intercooler or blow off valve. She probably really just wants to buy you a nice jacket or something.

Girlfriends and cars don't mix well. I'm just hoping I actually get a nice jacket...