Motorcycles - First time buyer/rider

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
suprarx7nut;1781217 said:
I'm aware of the risks and I'm preparing for it with an "All the gear all the time" mentality. I'm still debating riding boots and armored or kevlar pants/jeans, but I've already got the necessities (full face helmet, armored cordura jacket, leather knuckle-shielded gloves) and I plan on using them every single time, even around the neighborhood going 15 mph.

I don't put a lot of stock in those 'riding' jeans. Either wear real riding pants (doesn't have to be leather) or accept the risk that jeans are under-protected. I just wear jeans if I don't have my suit on. But still boots, gloves, and jacket.

But boots, definitely.

Don't buy boots like these

Alpinestars_One-O-One_Riding_Shoes_Black_detail.jpg

Don't believe in them either. Buy a full length boot, pull your pant cuffs over them. If you're going somewhere where you need nice shoes are will be walking a bunch, bring them in a backpack. Boots are not as bad for walking around as they may seem though. I never ride without boots. Hand and foot injuries are sustained very easily.

This is a good choice.

Alpinestars_S-MX_5_Vented_Boot_Black_detail.jpg

They're black (don't stand out, if that bothers you), fit under pants, don't squeak.

PS - Somewhere there's a mk3 waiting for you to get back into the Supra game. You should probably pick it up before a 17 year old ruins it...

Maybe. I really haven't kept tabs on the market in the last few years since I can't buy anyway. But I'm done with school in the spring, so after I get back to work, you never know.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
I have been riding on the street for 5 years now, and have been down twice once was in an industrial park at night (dove into a corner and hit some dirt) and once I was fucking around locking up the rear tire to slide around and the tire grabbed mid slide and I went flying.

I cannot count the number of close calls I have had with cars on the road, they simply are willing to kill you.

As for a 250 ninja, get one if you like to piddle around town. They absolutely suck on the freeway, any crack in the road that little front wheel wants to follow, and if a truck passes you it feels like you are getting blown away. As for power they basically have none, and I mean 0 they just suck plain and simple a stock supra will beat them on the highway. And for me if the bike I am riding is not powerful enough to at least throttle out of harms way I Don't want it.

Harleys are typically slower and cumbersome, if you are into distance cruising get a busa, or a goldwing.

I started out on a ninja 600 then had several other 600s through the years, now I won't buy anything smaller than at least a 750 and nothing that is not a true sport bike. For me I like a bike to feel solid, point where I want it to point, and have enough power to remind me that I need to respect the machine. When I ride a 250 I generally flog the poor thing so hard that it feels like it is about to come apart, and by this I mean they feel like more of a toy or a motorized bicycle than they do a sport bike. Also with the bigger bikes 750cc-1400cc in the sport bike genre, they have so much more umph that you simply don't need to flog them to sustain 80mph on the freeway, and when you twist the throttle in any gear they just go, no downshifting no flogging just smooth usable power.

In the end of the day it is what you feel comfortable on, and honestly I have seen people start out on busas and be just fine all you have to do is respect the machine and be confident in what you are doing.

Hesitation kills in the motorcycle world.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprarx7nut;1781451 said:
I basically drive the Supra like everyone's out to get me as is. I go out of my way to never tailgate, leave a "way out" at all times, never ride a blind spot, slow for most intersections, etc... With the Supra it's not because I'm trying to save my own life, but rather I couldn't bear to see the car get hit.
I've generally been the same way with my cars. Don't you wish everybody drove like we do?

OneJoeZee;1781486 said:
Maybe. I really haven't kept tabs on the market in the last few years since I can't buy anyway. But I'm done with school in the spring, so after I get back to work, you never know.
You would be one of maybe 3 or 4 people I've seen quit the Supra game and be done for good... you know you have the occasional dream where you're boosting, windows down, on a clear, smooth road...

Poodles;1781526 said:
Remember, leathers are cheaper than skin grafts.
Tend to look better too. For what it's worth, gear is the only reason my friend Chris still has a usable left arm. Stupid old lady in a Buick nearly as old as she was tried to back over him that day...

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
funky_monkey58;1781587 said:
I have been riding on the street for 5 years now, and have been down twice once was in an industrial park at night (dove into a corner and hit some dirt) and once I was fucking around locking up the rear tire to slide around and the tire grabbed mid slide and I went flying.

I cannot count the number of close calls I have had with cars on the road, they simply are willing to kill you.

As for a 250 ninja, get one if you like to piddle around town. They absolutely suck on the freeway, any crack in the road that little front wheel wants to follow, and if a truck passes you it feels like you are getting blown away. As for power they basically have none, and I mean 0 they just suck plain and simple a stock supra will beat them on the highway. And for me if the bike I am riding is not powerful enough to at least throttle out of harms way I Don't want it.

Harleys are typically slower and cumbersome, if you are into distance cruising get a busa, or a goldwing.

I started out on a ninja 600 then had several other 600s through the years, now I won't buy anything smaller than at least a 750 and nothing that is not a true sport bike. For me I like a bike to feel solid, point where I want it to point, and have enough power to remind me that I need to respect the machine. When I ride a 250 I generally flog the poor thing so hard that it feels like it is about to come apart, and by this I mean they feel like more of a toy or a motorized bicycle than they do a sport bike. Also with the bigger bikes 750cc-1400cc in the sport bike genre, they have so much more umph that you simply don't need to flog them to sustain 80mph on the freeway, and when you twist the throttle in any gear they just go, no downshifting no flogging just smooth usable power.

In the end of the day it is what you feel comfortable on, and honestly I have seen people start out on busas and be just fine all you have to do is respect the machine and be confident in what you are doing.

Hesitation kills in the motorcycle world.

I'd like to respond to this but I don't think I really can right now. I'm a wee bit hungover still. But I'll just say I don't agree with the majority of this post.

te72;1781622 said:
You would be one of maybe 3 or 4 people I've seen quit the Supra game and be done for good... you know you have the occasional dream where you're boosting, windows down, on a clear, smooth road...

xmen.preview.jpg

Who told you that??? Every so often I will have a dream about my blue Supra, black Supra, or both of them.

Then I wake up and I'm like ... oh yeah... :(

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Well just bought an '07 ninja 500 with 3300 miles. Basically brand new. Never been dropped.

I decided i like the 500 more because I'll be doing a good amount of 50-60mph riding and i just dont trust the 250 to accelerate or even maintain speed easily at that rate. The 500 should still be forgiving for a learner and will hopefully be a fun learning bike.

Pics to come shortly!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprarx7nut;1784813 said:
Seriously. I was amazed how cold my hands got once above like 30mph. Wind sucks.

I'm really looking forward to some nice weather.
You know, I see people on cruisers/Harleys/etc about once a week passing through (weather won't likely hit above 35° until March, if we're lucky) on the interstate. Some people are just nuts, I tell ya... Then again, when you're rolling the windows down and it's 35-40°, contemplating taking the targa off, you're in the same crowd of nutcases, right? :p

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Beautiful weather today. Rode for about 12 miles around my area, just getting a feel for the bike.

It's still odd shifting at 6k and having plenty of power, yet the thing redlines at 11k. o_O

If only the supra had a powerband from 4k up to 11k... Lol.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprarx7nut;1786040 said:
It's still odd shifting at 6k and having plenty of power, yet the thing redlines at 11k. o_O

If only the supra had a powerband from 4k up to 11k... Lol.

According to the guy in my office who picked up a 600R F3 earlier this year (his first street bike), "it feels like you still have power down low, but wait until you get it up there, it will surprise you." :p

And you can have that powerband in a Supra, just have to build a nice JZ bottom end and head that flows that far... not *completely* unheard of, just not common. :)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Update: Put nearly 750 miles on it now and really liking it. It's plenty quick, but very manageable. I'll want something bigger at some point, but the 500 is a great starter bike so far. I can still beat any car from a light with ease yet it's not too much power to flip me over or toss me off if I get a little too ambitious. 95% of my ride time is 50-70 mph so I'm glad I go the 500 over the 250. The 250 would have been a little annoying at 70 mph, I think.

Just bought a dark face shield after barely being able to keep my eyes open on the way to work this morning. Tinted shields kick ass! I don't ride at night so that's not an issue and I'll keep my clear one nearby just in case. Today was ~90F and that was bordering on uncomfortably hot with my jacket, work boots and helmet.

All in all, it's been a great few months of good riding weather and I've saved ~$140+ on gas already just going to and from work!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Good to hear man. Guy mentioned in my post above gets at least 45mpg beating the piss out the bike, he loves it in that respect. Sadly, 2 or 3 of the people he's ridden with have overstepped their capabilities, got overconfident. Be careful out there. :)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
te72;1841957 said:
Good to hear man. Guy mentioned in my post above gets at least 45mpg beating the piss out the bike, he loves it in that respect. Sadly, 2 or 3 of the people he's ridden with have overstepped their capabilities, got overconfident. Be careful out there. :)

I can imagine. Even my 500, its very easy to go very fast. Only takes a few seconds to put yourself beyond your control. Definitely a test of self control.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2