Motor cutting off after intake and bov installed

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Sounds like a classic case of metered air leak, but my bet is on boost leak. Check all your hose, connections and clamps. My car was doing this same thing, checked all my couplers, re-clamped them, and checked all my vacuum hoses and that fixed my problems right away! My bov is not recirculated, and my car runs fine, I am however planning on recirculating it soon...
Good luck

Nate

GSWAG
Dec 26, 2006
Queens
teedoff00;1115489 said:
Sounds like a classic case of metered air leak, but my bet is on boost leak. Check all your hose, connections and clamps. My car was doing this same thing, checked all my couplers, re-clamped them, and checked all my vacuum hoses and that fixed my problems right away! My bov is not recirculated, and my car runs fine, I am however planning on recirculating it soon...
Good luck

Thanks for the help but why do you want to recirculate it if you don't need to?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Nate;1116334 said:
Thanks for the help but why do you want to recirculate it if you don't need to?

Nate

here are some facts. As previously stated, the 7m TCCS is stock recirc. What this means is that the ECU (The TCCS) is expecting that air to be there. When you vent to atmosphere, the ECU is still expecting that air to be there but it is not, so the car runs rich to super rich, insta-stall when unloaded.

Just because people do it does not make it right (Applies to EGR, Charcoal removal etc). You need to find out how toyota did it and replicate that UNTIL you go either standalone or some form of "piggy back" that allows for vent to atmosphere.

Aug 17, 2008
Wichita, Kansas
Im getting a similar issue with my Blitz BOV i installed today. My car runs fine, no rough idle. But my boost dropped from 7 too 2 maybe 3? What in the world would cause this. I have adjusted the d@mn thing for 4 hours straight and a tank of gas and nothing changes?? Its not recirculated but it runs fine. Any suggestions would help me. I did notice a slight crack on the end of a hose would this cause that much boost loss? Im sorry if I sound dumb im a 5.0 Mustand nerd that came to the dark side of the supra, and im still alittle dumb founded by this turbo stuff

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
when i first got my car, someone had the stock bov vented to atmosphere and it would bog or die between shifts/ when clutched in. they even had the accordian hose nipple covered with MASKING tape, colored with SHARPIE!

hahaha i dont understand how they drove it that way if they did all that themselves, and immediately afterward, the car would die all the time.. but to each his/her own i guess.. the car did go "pshh" when i first got it... but the recirc compressor surge sounds cooler anyway.

which brings me to a question that i have: my car has an intake, full 3" turbo back, and a big intercooler with 2.5" piping. i am getting some serious compressor surge, and it doesnt seem as if my car ever really 'blows off.' the intercooler piping kit i got was supposed to replace the 3000 pipe, but i didnt install that section of piping because the nipple at the end of the stock 3000 pipe that runs to the stock bov wasnt on the aftermarket piping.

my car is boosting a steady 7 lbs and im ready to up the boost a little bit (clear of fuel cut..) and id like to install that last bit of intercooler piping, along with a 'freddy' bov from driftmotion on a 2.5" flange. am i going to be able to recirc back into the stock nipple on the accordian hose w/o running a line from the 3000 pipe to the bov? straight from the bov to the accordian nipple with a 1" hose?

basically what im asking is, how do you replace the 3000 pipe with staight intercooler piping and recirculate an aftermarket blowoff? im worried about too much compressor surge, especially if i start running more boost, and i dont think my stock bov is gonna cut it.

anybody doing this? seems like kind of an 'in between' stage for modifications... where you have to stop simply bolting things up and actually have to think about what youre doing for a minute (if youre turbo system illiterate like me, that is)

thanks

aaron

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
The stock BOV was always restrictred even at stock boost levels. Increase the flow and you will definetly have issues with the BOV keeping up.

The upgrade that works well is the Bosch BOV as used by SAAB and Porsche. Big enough for a ton more flow and therby reducing the surge. Also the cost is no where near the price of a HKS/Greedy/Blitz/Tial setup.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I have this issue now that I swapped to a GTE, I'm going to get the adapter and recirculate it, it stumbles and stalls at stoplights sometimes. I love the sound but for now, street ability is what's important...

NeedamkII

Jan 1, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Mine did the exact same thing when I had my BoV going out to atmosphere AND a boost leak. Havent ran it uncirculated after fixing my leak, but it drove like piss.