Motor cutting off after intake and bov installed

Nate

GSWAG
Dec 26, 2006
Queens
Could someone please give me some pointers,I installed a hks bov,aftermarket 3000 pipe replacement and a k&n intake with aluminum piping.the intake has the stock bov connection plugged,however the car is running a little rough,it shakes at low rpm,doesnt boost smoothly and cuts off at stop lights,I checked all the lines and swapped the air flow sensor,and the problem still remains.

Nate

GSWAG
Dec 26, 2006
Queens
Are there any other options because I got all the parts from my parts car and it had the bov installed without recirculating it.

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
the reason you car is stalling is because when you blow off its letting metered air out of the system, when that happens the car will run rich because it thinks there is more air than there actually is. there are a couple ways to take care of this problem, you can recirculate your bov or run a map based computer system.

also i would do a boost leak test to make sure more meter air isnt escaping the system.

Last edited:

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
u can try adjusting the spring on it. but when you blow out to the atmosphere your car suddenly runs rich because you loose the metered air that passed thru the afm

Nate

GSWAG
Dec 26, 2006
Queens
viper92086;1115109 said:
u can try adjusting the spring on it. but when you blow out to the atmosphere your car suddenly runs rich because you loose the metered air that passed thru the afm

To adjust the spring I have to turn the bolt in the back of the bov right

Nate

GSWAG
Dec 26, 2006
Queens
supradjza80;1115148 said:
I vote that it is a BOV problem. Get that thing recirculated!

My parts car had some fuel system upgrades,as well as some other mods Could anyone tell me why it wasn't recirculated in the other car but it needs to be in mine,I just swapped the parts.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
If your parts car was an auto then it could be ran without recirculation but the stick shift guys have to recirculate it, my 90 auto runs fine uncirculated but my buddies 5 speed turbo 90 runs like shit without it recirculated

Nate

GSWAG
Dec 26, 2006
Queens
Wills7MGTE;1115164 said:
If your parts car was an auto then it could be ran without recirculation but the stick shift guys have to recirculate it, my 90 auto runs fine uncirculated but my buddies 5 speed turbo 90 runs like shit without it recirculated

Actually it was a 5spd but I will recirculate it and see what happens Thanks a lot for the help guys

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
btw yes that screw is the one you need to adjust. if you can get it to close quick enough you should be fine. but its a pita either recirc or go maft blow thru

Nate

GSWAG
Dec 26, 2006
Queens
viper92086;1115201 said:
btw yes that screw is the one you need to adjust. if you can get it to close quick enough you should be fine. but its a pita either recirc or go maft blow thru

maft blow thru ?

BRIAN

Supramania Contributor
Jan 7, 2006
socal
Replace everything back to stock except the bov and test drive it again. My money is on vacume leak, possibly the actual mounting of the bov c-clip.

Auto or manual....don't matter.

utsupraguy1010

Apr 13, 2008
utah
ya i agree with every one else you need to recirculate the air i have and hks on my car with full upper after market ic pipe and my hks has a vac line off of it that connects the pipe that is right in front of the 3000 pipe... so def. try that for sure

roundfinger

Supramania Contributor
Aug 23, 2006
Pensacola, Florida, United States
I agree with all of the above...recirc it to check if that fixes your problem and it never hurts to check your vacuum hoses. I found a few old ones that popped off or needed replacement when i first bought my 89 and it caused some intermittent poor performance.

Ive run the HKS on a stick on stock electronics w/o recirc to see how it sounded/performed... rough idle for m, and it would sometimes stall when stopped. I then ran it with the stock bov recirced and the HKS to air at the same time...i still had the cool pewwww sound and no issues with stall or rough idle...but have no clue how or if it was causing any unseen issues...
I later recirced the HKS and found that the best for me as i was over the pewww sound and preferred the reliability.
On the new auto there is a blitz DD to atmosphere and so far so good but i havent had the chance to drive it much and may recirc it anyways...Hope that on an auto it performs better for me.