Mossberg 500, anyone use one?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
dirtlord420;1783567 said:
ive had my mossberg 500 for almost 10 years now. dont think i'll ever get rid of it. only paid 200 for it. it has a pistol grip with a stock. the stock comes off and you can just have the pistol grip or both. it kinda looks like an ak stock. i dont know who makes it tho
So they make removable stocks for these? That might be a nice compromise...

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
gaboonviper85;1782571 said:
toy is a perfect way to describe a stockless shot gun...and like you said "thats not a bad thing" but its a horrid choice for a defense, target, and hunting.

Hey What are you doing on here!? This isn't focusmania. this is supramania punk ;)

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
te72;1783699 said:
So they make removable stocks for these? That might be a nice compromise...

its more like two peices that bolt togather. you have to unblot it to get it to swap. its only one bolt its pretty easy.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
MDCmotorsports;1783785 said:
Works great against a car jacking or motorcycle mugging.
Again, neither of these things am I even in the slightest worried about. People can be dumb around here, but they're not usually *that* dumb to try something like that...

dirtlord420;1783841 said:
its more like two peices that bolt togather. you have to unblot it to get it to swap. its only one bolt its pretty easy.
Good to know, will have to look into that if/when I end up getting one. :)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I've owned a 500 in 12 for nearly 30 years. Dumped the pistol grip long ago. At one point the safety broke in two. Since that's one of the few parts Mossberg won't sell (at least back then they wouldn't) I got an aftermarket metal replacement and installed it myself. Not a big fan of the aluminum receiver but other than that one problem the gun has been trouble free. I paid $150 for it new.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Didn't care for the pistol grip JJ? Nice to hear about some long term reliability for sure.

staehlin180

Mar 5, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I own a 500a persuader. Its a good shotgun, but hindsight being 20/20, I should have saved up for an 870, they're much more solid, all around better guns

SaltyMKIII

the dude abides
Mar 30, 2010
Queens, New York
I know a few navy seals and they have told me this one piece of advice, when it comes to shotguns there's only 2 names they trust Benelli and remington... And I seen mossbergs break down after just 50 shots

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I just got a 12 guage Mossberg 500 for Christmas, I have already put 100-150 shots through it shooting clays over the holidays. For the price its a great gun, the Rem 870 wingmaster is a nicer gun and over twice the price but the Mossy does it all. Mine came with the 28" long barrel with adjustable choke tubes, the 18.5" defender barrel, and pistol grip....for under $400 Canadian. It also has twin bead sights which is nice.

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
Ive had my mossberg 500 for a couple years now and i love it. pistol grip 18 1/2 inch barrel. I purchased the ATI collapsable stock, heatshield and tactical rear grip.
never have I had a single issue with it. great shooting gun, and very intimidating.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Saiga 12's are legal in the US? Would have figured you would need a special license for that one...

FDguy

Nov 29, 2008
Houston.TX
lppro;1801570 said:
Saiga 12. FTW. there's not a whole lot thats more fun than a AK based semi auto 12 gauge with 30 round chips.

Lppro i agree with you that the saiga is a beast but, the 30rd drums really are terrible. Pior to having the 30rd drum my Saiga ran flawlessly even with cheap dove shot in both the stock 5rd and AGP 10rd mag. After i received my 30rd drum from Alliance Armament I went to my local gun range to test it out. The damn thing was so frustrating it would fte or ftl every other round. When i called AA to tell them they sold me a piece of crap they proceeded to try and sell me a "Reliability Service" and i should send them my saiga. Long story short i had them return the drum for a full refund and i purchase the MD arms 20rd. drum like i should have the first time around.

To the OP the Mossberg 500 is a very reliable and effective weapon for the price, but if your looking for that fun/tacticool factor aswell, you cant go wrong with the Saiga. With that being said they attract alot of attention, there hasn't been a single outing to the gun range where someone hasn't asked me "what the hell is that thing" or "is that really a Shotgun?" my favorite is "OMG, it has a Drum!!!!". As for owning one you don't need to any special permit or tax stamp, the only thing you need to worry about is if you State or City has a maximum magazine capacity law here in Texas and many other states there are no limitations.

Here's a pic of my baby:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Good to know FDguy, here in Wyoming, they don't give two shits about capacity as far as I know... one of the best things about this place, we do love our guns, almost as much as the hippies hate them. :rofl:

I'll look into the Saiga, might be a future purchase at some point, who knows?

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
My 500a was given to me by my dad for my 10th or 11th birthday (can't remember)
I'll be 24 in June and I've easily fired over 5,000 shells. Never had fte,ftl, or ftf. I love this shotgun. 7+1, pistol grip, very effective home defense.

But personally if home defense isn't your concern I'd go with the saiga, it's much more fun. I plan to get one here soon.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Good to know sir, still haven't pulled the trigger (pardon the pun) on a shotgun just yet. Maybe take my brother's Mossberg out this summer, I know we'll go shooting sooner than later. :)