Mossberg 500, anyone use one?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Curious to see if anyone on here has used one of these before... one of my brother's friends bought a 500 Persuader (pistol grip, short barrel) at a gun show locally, seemed like a nice gun, but never got to shoot it myself.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
havent had a chance to fire one but i was looking into them....Found one at a local store for $480 with the grip and other things....i think their really nice. Not a big gun nut but i think i'll be purchasing the 500 soon

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
Yea I was looking into the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500.

btw ^lol at Silence!! I KEEL YOU!! Achmeed A-c-flem! lol!!

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
If it were me, Id go with the Remington. For me, they are a lot easier to detail strip and there are more after market parts out there for the Rem than say the Mossy.

Ive had both. No regrets from either. The Moss is very reliable as is the Rem.

As for the Maverick 88: Not a bad piece, pretty reliable. NILL AFTERMARKET support at this time.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Thanks for the input guys. Have been looking at the 870 as well, but haven't come across a pistol grip style yet. If I wanted a stock, I'd be using a rifle...

I'm not even really a gun nut either, haven't even fired one in a few years now, but being that I live where I do, it just feels like something is... missing... in my life, you know? :p

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Remington 870 Express Tactical with a Black Hawk Spec Ops Knoxx stock is a nice set up. The pistol grip adjustable length stock makes a big difference in how the shotgun handles.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
My brother has a Remmington 887 (based of 870). The mossberg is good, but has more wobble in the pump. Performance wise, I dont think it makes a difference, but the remmingtons feel more stable to me.

I have no experience with the maverick, but a friend of mine bought a supernova NEW and had intermittent failure to fire issues right away. It would either strike the primer with good force like it should, or not even touch it enough to leave a mark. We couldnt figure out the problem, but it stopped doing it for the most part, so he never did anything about it. Not a big deal at the range but in a defense situation that would be real bad.

makaveli913

1jz and lovin it
Nov 20, 2007
Pueblo Co
i used to have one. worked real good reliable. 3inch slugs were mean. pistol grip was real skinny near the top and would hurt to hold there. learn to hold botom of grip n was more comfortable to shoot. pump action was kinda wobbly. done with pumps moved up to semi auto. Saiga 12 funnest shotgun ever. got a folding stock n 20 round drum. drum dump is almost better than sex. lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
makaveli913;1781945 said:
i used to have one. worked real good reliable. 3inch slugs were mean. pistol grip was real skinny near the top and would hurt to hold there. learn to hold botom of grip n was more comfortable to shoot. pump action was kinda wobbly. done with pumps moved up to semi auto. Saiga 12 funnest shotgun ever. got a folding stock n 20 round drum. drum dump is almost better than sex. lol
I can't imagine the Saiga is at all cheap... Not looking for "cheap", just don't want to pay out the ass for something that if I'm lucky, won't need to be used for more than entertainment. Part of the appeal of the pump design is the sound that chambering a round makes. Hell, if that's not enough to scare off a potential intruder, I don't know what would be.

gaboonviper85;1782244 said:
mossy has a better safety location as well as the pump lock....also pistol grip is rather retarded on a shotgun without a stock
Why do you say that? I've learned to go with the recoil rather than try to stop it... nearly dislocating a shoulder is enough of a reason to learn that lesson. :p

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Because contrary to belief one must aim a shot gun and not everyone can manage the recoil of a stockless shotgun with just hands alone...it's a great way to have a 8 pound gun hammer your face in which would not help a life or death situation at all!!! It's just a retarded design considering there are folding and collapsible stocks for all these weapons. Also I'd really really like to see someone do rapid fallow up shots without a stock...you will never see a stockless shot gun in a 3 gun, trap, skeet, duck hunt, or any shooting sporting event!! The design just doesn't work...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
MDCmotorsports;1781810 said:
As for the Maverick 88: Not a bad piece, pretty reliable. NILL AFTERMARKET support at this time.

Most parts for a 500 work.

te72: It looks like you're wanting this for a "toy." That's not a bad thing, just saying if that's the case you're probably better off with a normal stock as it makes target practice easier. Really depends on what you want it for...

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Poodles;1782570 said:
Most parts for a 500 work.

te72: It looks like you're wanting this for a "toy." That's not a bad thing, just saying if that's the case you're probably better off with a normal stock as it makes target practice easier. Really depends on what you want it for...

toy is a perfect way to describe a stockless shot gun...and like you said "thats not a bad thing" but its a horrid choice for a defense, target, and hunting.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Depends, short pistol grip only shotgun is great for old houses with narrow hallways. Then again, when you have stuff like the Kel-Tec KSG (man I want one...), it's moot point.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1782570 said:
Toy, potential defense situation, etc...

gaboonviper85;1782571 said:
toy is a perfect way to describe a stockless shot gun...and like you said "thats not a bad thing" but its a horrid choice for a defense, target, and hunting.
Eh, I'd only hunt with a bow anyway. Never found much sport in sniping those rascally deer...

Poodles;1782573 said:
Depends, short pistol grip only shotgun is great for old houses with narrow hallways. Then again, when you have stuff like the Kel-Tec KSG (man I want one...), it's moot point.
This describes my house pretty well, it's mostly a hallway. Do expect to need fire it inside my house? Not really, home invasions around here are about as likely as minorities, being that the vast majority of people who live here are gun owners... seems kinda foolish to even try. Would I need to shoot twice? Not likely.

gaboonviper85;1782555 said:
Because contrary to belief one must aim a shot gun and not everyone can manage the recoil of a stockless shotgun with just hands alone...it's a great way to have a 8 pound gun hammer your face in which would not help a life or death situation at all!!! It's just a retarded design considering there are folding and collapsible stocks for all these weapons. Also I'd really really like to see someone do rapid fallow up shots without a stock...you will never see a stockless shot gun in a 3 gun, trap, skeet, duck hunt, or any shooting sporting event!! The design just doesn't work...
Yes, I understand that you need to aim shotguns, I've grown up around guns. Been a while since I've gotten to shoot, but I don't often miss once I get a gun figured out. Again, I wouldn't expect to ever NEED to use it, but given the layout of my house, I would prefer something maneuverable. Could I do with a stock? Sure, but do I prefer one? Not really... I could just as easily do with a .38 or .45 of some sort, but I don't particularly want something with such a high penetration rate, and to me, shotguns are just more fun overall in the 99.99% of other situations I would be using it for. :)

By the way, been a long time since we've seen you around here Gaboon...

makaveli913

1jz and lovin it
Nov 20, 2007
Pueblo Co
I once got hit in the top lip when tryin aim a slug with pistol grip 500 :/ so yeah i learned my lesson the hole where the screw goes was cut in my lip for a good week lol. pistol grip is hella cool but you really cant bring it up and aim. My saiga has a folding stock so when i wana mess around i can fold it.

A saiga can be as pricey as you want. bone stock the price is back at 500 to 600. now the fun. Its a ak family shotgun that was modified with a "sport" stock to get it in the country. You can leave it like that or you can convert it back to look and function the way the factory designed. fun lil winter project :) it can use any ak folding stock, wood stock and pistol grip. the aftermarket is huge n growing. A real basic conversion can cost as littla as 60. some can spend a 1000 making it look how they want. A bill was recently passed that now allows not "sporting" shotguns to be imported not so some say we might get pistol grip from the factory. Search n youtube vepr 12 those are posed to hit the us also. post pic of mine later

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
ive had my mossberg 500 for almost 10 years now. dont think i'll ever get rid of it. only paid 200 for it. it has a pistol grip with a stock. the stock comes off and you can just have the pistol grip or both. it kinda looks like an ak stock. i dont know who makes it tho