Modded ecu?

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Hey guys, heres the story on my car, i bought it a year ago and could never figure out why it revs to 7400+ well a few weeks ago, i decided to put a new dash in my car and when i pulled the ecu out this is what i found.... can anyone explain what was done to this and why on a stock car? and where it was done? sorry for the crappy pics, it says Chris Adams 7mgte stock rev limit 6750 wanted 7200 on the front in perm. marker. :1zhelp: http://img217.imageshack.us/g/sdc14125.jpg/

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
i honestly dont know. im not an electrical type guy. so i figured id post pics. maybe someone knew Chris adams on the forums so maybe i could figure out where he got it modded and why. its an auto ecu on a 5 speed car from factory.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
I was gonna put the pics straight in the thread but its useless the pics are just too bad to see. You have to use the macro setting on your camera to take pics of small things close up.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
He could of had the crystals changed to up the rev limit but that doesnt mean the fuel/ign maps will be right.

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
well ive been driving this car for a year+ on this ecu its my DD ive put over 20k miles on it since ive owned it. no problems yet. besides some hoses and belts.

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
i would post a vid. but im afraid to break something. maybe when i get drunk ill go out and hit rev limit for yall. lol now doesnt seem smart to rev the 7m to 7400 lol maybe when im not thinking clearly :beer:

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
SupraSean;1633195 said:
knock knock knockin on the girdles door:)

lol this is why im not going to go out there and vid it. lol as far as i know my internals are stock. i paid 800 for the car and did very little. been my dd for over a year.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
There was a guy, who's name escapes me at the moment, who was installing faster crystals in ECUs to increase the rev limit. The theory is that it increases everything at the same time - so it's not running outside the existing maps, just speeding them up a bit. Keep in mind this 450 rpm advantage is less than 7% in total, so still considerably less than the Lexus AFM / 550cc injector combo does.

As I recall, he got started in some other line of cars... MR2s maybe, or some other brand entirely, where this worked well. He did a few for Supras, and had mixed results - some worked exactly as he predicted, some showed no change at all. Given the failure rate, he dropped the idea of working on Supras.

Maybe this is one of the ones he did that worked. Or maybe someone else has tried the same idea and had better results. If I really wanted to know and I were in your shoes, I'd talk to 3p1514 - the author of the GTE ECU reverse engineering thread here. I'd bet he knows what timing crystal these came with, and could easily tell you if yours has been swapped out for a faster one.

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
GrimJack;1633240 said:
There was a guy, who's name escapes me at the moment, who was installing faster crystals in ECUs to increase the rev limit. The theory is that it increases everything at the same time - so it's not running outside the existing maps, just speeding them up a bit. Keep in mind this 450 rpm advantage is less than 7% in total, so still considerably less than the Lexus AFM / 550cc injector combo does.

As I recall, he got started in some other line of cars... MR2s maybe, or some other brand entirely, where this worked well. He did a few for Supras, and had mixed results - some worked exactly as he predicted, some showed no change at all. Given the failure rate, he dropped the idea of working on Supras.

Maybe this is one of the ones he did that worked. Or maybe someone else has tried the same idea and had better results. If I really wanted to know and I were in your shoes, I'd talk to 3p1514 - the author of the GTE ECU reverse engineering thread here. I'd bet he knows what timing crystal these came with, and could easily tell you if yours has been swapped out for a faster one.

Thank you grimjack this is what i was looking for. And I actually did PM 3p earlier and asked him his thoughts. hes just hasnt replied yet.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Also if you think of his name or anyone else can LMK please. and would you think that this would have more use to someone other than me>? im all stock. what do you think its worth?

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

hvyman;1633236 said:
KNock knock knocing on the jail bars.

huh?