Modded ecu?

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
bombinuass;1633112 said:
Hey guys, heres the story on my car, i bought it a year ago and could never figure out why it revs to 7400+ well a few weeks ago, i decided to put a new dash in my car and when i pulled the ecu out this is what i found.... can anyone explain what was done to this and why on a stock car? and where it was done? sorry for the crappy pics, it says Chris Adams 7mgte stock rev limit 6750 wanted 7200 on the front in perm. marker. :1zhelp: http://img217.imageshack.us/g/sdc14125.jpg/

http://suprasonic.org/sonictech/techtom/

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
He doesn't have the spacer in the ECU so that is not a Reg Reimer computer. As it (unclearly) says on the ECU that the original rev limit was 6250 and the new one is 7200 this is a crystal mod computer. I tried contacting that guy years ago, refuses to answer emails or messages of any kind.

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Thank you all for the replies. even tho im not exactly sure what it is, i have a understanding. Would this ecu be helpful to anyone other than me? since im stock? moneys tight and a few extra $ would be nice to get my wifes supra going. I have no need for a 7400 rev limit.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Its not a Techtom ECU, there is no daughter board which means it is running stock code. I cannot tell from the blurry photos what has been changed but the crystal mod will change much more than just the rev limit, as everything in this ECU is calibrated to the clock period which stock is 12MHz. I would examine the crystal near the MCU and let us know what the markings on it are.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya I was referring to drunk driving but I don't suggest reving to 7400 in neutral either even drunk lol.

LPC

May 20, 2010
Rose Bay - Sydney
Most interesting thread. I am only 23 yo, and oh how I wish I was this age to live through the 80's, with all the sweet cars and things like the techtom and mines were considered the shut.

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
this might be a dumb question but doesnt the 7m hit max torque at 5200rpm? and max hp is right around there as well if i remember right off my head....so what would be the point of revving too much over that?....sorry if im thread jacking just looked like a good place to ask.....

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Not a dumb question at all. A stock 7M does peak long before 7k RPM but a modified engine can peak higher than that and the stock rev limit becomes a restriction. One of the benefits of going standalone is bypassing many of those built in restrictions.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
jrot;1634927 said:
............ doesnt the 7m hit max torque at 5200rpm? and max hp is right around there as well if i remember right off my head....so what would be the point of revving too much over that?............

Depends on your motor and how you built it. I can only rev to 6500 ish (stock TCCS) and Im still making HP, according to the dyno sheet, and can REALLY use more RPM's. ;)