MKIII build...Drift

MPower

drift
Feb 8, 2008
NY
hi im new to this forum and a new supra owner. i have purchased a 88 supra turbo with 140k for $800. at the moment it has no spark but turns over great. i havnt had a chance to even look at the car yet to see whats wrong because of a prelude project in the garage taking all the space.

i just sold my 02 wrx to help fund this car among other things. my wrx had the following mods
p919087_1.jpg

-sti short block with wrx heads -blitz E.B.C
-arp head studs -plx wideband o2
-cometic hg -oil,boost,egt guages
-sti 6spd tranny -sti flywheel
-exedy twin disc clutch
-hks carbon ti exuast
-fp green turbo
-injectors/ supporting fuel mods
-custom tune

this supra is stock and has never been modded. it has new top end and a rebuilt turbo. i have some pics as it sits in front of the garage
p919087_2.jpg

p919087_3.jpg

p919087_4.jpg

p919087_5.jpg

p919087_6.jpg

p919087_7.jpg

p919087_8.jpg

p919087_9.jpg

the paint on the car isnt in the greatest shape and i found 3 spots off rust about 1/4 inch in size on the driver door, driver turn signal, and on the driver rear quarter panel. my thoughts on this are function before form.

the parts i have for the car as of right now are
-HKS FCD
-BLITZ E.B.C
-PLX wideband o2
-oil,boost,egt guages

im looking to build a drift car out of this as soon as the prelude is out this is going in. im going to strip the interior of everything minus dash and seats. pull the head and do HG( HKS stopper HG and ARP head studs) make my own hard pipes for the front mount and install a better front mount. and do full exaust.

my HP goals are around 400whp

the questions i have are
-what does the stock exaust manifold max out at?
-what kind of suspension are drift guys running on the MKIII?
-what turbo would be my best option for response and torque?
-what should i pay for the lexus maf?
-what should i pay for the lexus injectors?

im doing all the work myslef and plan on posting my build as i go with updated pics.

so i finished the prelude and i got the supra in the garage. and this is what i have found so far
-no spark
-i cant hear the fuel pump prime
-when the key is turned on the check engine light does not come on.
does this sound like a bad ecu?

checked all fuses as well

with that aside i gutted the car as well. pulled all panneling, carpet and back seats. the car was so cold when i went to take glue off the floor it came off in one section.

i also found that the driver rear wheel well is rusted out. looks like i have to weld in a new section.

this thread is also on supraforums.com
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476170

MPower

drift
Feb 8, 2008
NY
after reading up on the theft system i went out and made a jumper for pin#5 to pin#13 eliminating the theft system but it still wont start. at least one thing is out of the way.

to scan the supra what kind of scanner do i need? i would bring it to a shop but its not that easy when it does not run:nono:

one question about the theft syatem does it cut fuel as well?

MPower

drift
Feb 8, 2008
NY
how much does the main relay(M4 90987-02004 056700-4810) cost i know if this is bad the car wont start.

how can i test to see if its good or bad?

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
look further into oiling, a custom pan with baffles will be a good idea including a pickup tube that goes further in the pan, plus larger oil cooler and better radiator. Everything else sounds pretty good. Prices on the lex just depends, 70-100 seems normal, 100+ for one with the screw in it, 125-150 if it has the supra electronics. Those prices are assuming used and in good working order(the honeycomb needs to be perfect). GL with your build and dont forget a cage when the time comes.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
tokiMK3;920193 said:
who dr. jones?

search the user name.

does your tach bounce while you are cranking the car over?

look up "tsrm" toyota service repair manual, and check the procedure on testing the cps.

if cps checks out, i will check for a good timming belt (if the tach is still not bouncing)

if it boucnes and still doesn't start you either have a fuel or compression issue

the compression issue could be head or bottom end, do a dry and wet compression test.

that should help you get started.

to check your code's use a paper clip in the diag box under the hood on the driver's side.

pin E1 and T1 (earth to test-1)

and then go count the code's, refer to the tsrm again for poper code look up and blink pattern.

MPower

drift
Feb 8, 2008
NY
made a jumper to run the test but no check engine light comes on. im going to charge the batterie because it died from the cold and ill try in the morning.

the manual says when the keys is turned on the check engine light should come on. well mine doesnt...could it be a dead ecu?

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
MPower;920784 said:
made a jumper to run the test but no check engine light comes on. im going to charge the batterie because it died from the cold and ill try in the morning.

the manual says when the keys is turned on the check engine light should come on. well mine doesnt...could it be a dead ecu?

or a burnt bulb

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
pimptrizkit;920908 said:
errrr

check blow fuse first.

see that your ecu-ig fuse is still in / good.

CEL has its own fuse?

my bulb was just burnt.......
or someone took it out like on my buddies......

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Welcome to Supramania. :)

You seem to have a good understanding of the concept of modifying a car to it's full potential...So I'll go ahead and make the assumption that you know you should take that pretty head and block of yours to a machine shop for a smooth resurfacing job. :icon_bigg

MPower;919087 said:
my HP goals are around 400whp

the questions i have are
-what does the stock exaust manifold max out at?
-what kind of suspension are drift guys running on the MKIII?
-what turbo would be my best option for response and torque?
-what should i pay for the lexus maf?
-what should i pay for the lexus injectors?

-To briefly answer your questions:
Stock exhaust manifold has built a reputation (for the most part) to hold its own. As far as I'm aware of, under good circumstances, I haven't heard of anyone having issues.
The scenario usually ends up being that a "bolt-on" turbo just wont make enough power to find out how much pressure the stock manifold can withstand. :)

-Drifting Suspension - Well hell, he has nothing to hide! :biglaugh: Talk to BorHor.

-For a Turbo...Obviously big power isn't the answer to drifting, rather your suspension being #1. So...You shouldn't need anything to suck up animals and small children. If you want to play Baller on a Budget ;), Go with an upgraded CT26. (Ask me if you have any questions).

-Lex AFM, as mentioned already, typically 100-130...In good used condition.

-Injectors...Just pick up a set of RC Engineering 550cc's and you'll be set. :)

Good luck with everything!

-Jeff

MPower

drift
Feb 8, 2008
NY
before i mod the engine i planned on doing the HG

thank you for the help. i was thinking about doing the ct26 with the 57trim. i think it will a good rsponsive setup