Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Bottom

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
Hi all,

Im currently a student at the Cleveland Institute of Art, pursuing a degree in Automotive Design. This summer, I'm working on a self-proposed, independent project that aims to design the Supra that never was: the mk5.

My goals for the project are as follows:

Create an automobile that remains true to its heritage as a Supra, considering established design cues, package details, and power train history (i-6 turbo with clutching manual transmission). The new Supra must also take the brand forward into a new iteration of design language, without abandoning the key design elements of the past. Utilize advanced, contemporary lines, form language and surfacing to create a unique automobile that feels new and exciting, in a way that incites the same passion and elegance as previous Supra generations.

After weeks of sketching and ideation (which will be compiled into the final presentation), I have arrived at two key proportions in side view. I'm posting these renderings as an attempt to gain insight from a demographic that is most integral to the finalization of the mk5 Supra project: THE ESTABLISHED SUPRA COMMUNITY!!

attachment.php

Please vote on which proposal you like best, and feel free to provide commentary on your decision. Any further input is also encouraged!

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Aaron

Attachments

• supra side test..jpg
    supra side test..jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 386

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
Honestly, im leaning toward the top version.. shorter wheelbase, tighter package, meaner lines. The top proportion focuses more on bringing the brand language into a new era of design and surfacing.

The bottom version is more of a grand touring package, with longer overhangs, more classical lines and forms. The bottom one also leans more toward honoring its heritage, and includes more design cues from previous supra generations.

Feel free to mix and match features of both designs: the brake duct styling, front and rear overhang, wheel base, window proportion, etc.

Thanks!

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
here is a version of the bottom design with a positive surface at the midline, like the top design.

attachment.php

Attachments

• supra side v2..jpg
    supra side v2..jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 240

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Where is the Nose of the car? The Supra had a long nose...all of them did. They look like the new/old eclipse. Props for trying, but honestly neither one of them go with any supra body lines.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
SupraMario;1596028 said:
Where is the Nose of the car? The Supra had a long nose...all of them did. They look like the new/old eclipse. Props for trying, but honestly neither one of them go with any supra body lines.

Looks more like a mid-engine layout design.

Also, the roof line of the bottom one looks goofy, think that's why it looks weird compared to the top one.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Poodles;1596031 said:
Looks more like a mid-engine layout design.

Also, the roof line of the bottom one looks goofy, think that's why it looks weird compared to the top one.

I could see that, but:

Zambini said:
Create an automobile that remains true to its heritage as a Supra, considering established design cues, package details, and power train history (i-6 turbo with clutching manual transmission).

Not trying to be an asshole, just trying to figure out why his concept has strayed so far away from what the supra, a FR long nosed GT car.

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
im going to scan some sketches so you guys can see more of the design process, and what im thinking with front and rear graphics. initially, i was sketching more long-nosed proportions with tighter rear overhangs, but i guess i kind of lost that as i trned the project into my own creation.. it appears i have strayed too far! back with collaged sketch images..

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
zambini;1596454 said:
im going to scan some sketches so you guys can see more of the design process, and what im thinking with front and rear graphics. initially, i was sketching more long-nosed proportions with tighter rear overhangs, but i guess i kind of lost that as i trned the project into my own creation.. it appears i have strayed too far! back with collaged sketch images..

Awesome!

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
SupraMario,

i didnt post this to argue with you guys, or to be defensive of what ive already created. constructive criticism is welcome! like i said, you guys are the most decisive demographic in determining whether or not this is a successful project.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
zambini;1596460 said:
SupraMario,

i didnt post this to argue with you guys, or to be defensive of what ive already created. constructive criticism is welcome! like i said, you guys are the most decisive demographic in determining whether or not this is a successful project.

Yea I wasn't trying to argue either, I was just thinking you have strayed to far from what the supra is, which is a long nosed, RWD FR GT Car.

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
hello all,

here are some sketch pages i have assembled to show you guys a little of my ideation process. feel free to point out sketches that you like, so i can incorporate them into the design.

and as i said before, i think a lot of these capture the FR proportion more successfully than the side view renders i posted. let me know what you guys think!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

i was working with another design aesthetic much closer to the mkiv, and proportions closer to those of the 2000gt.. though i ended up going in another direction, as you guys can see. however, now that i've received some substantial feedback, i'm going back to the drawing board (literally) to reconsider my options.

Attachments

• sketch page 2..jpg
    sketch page 2..jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 142
  • sketch page 1..jpg
    sketch page 1..jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 144
  • sketch page 4..jpg
    sketch page 4..jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 142
  • sketch page 3..jpg
    sketch page 3..jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 183

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
zambini;1596538 said:
attachment.php

i was working with another design aesthetic much closer to the mkiv, and proportions closer to those of the 2000gt.. though i ended up going in another direction, as you guys can see. however, now that i've received some substantial feedback, i'm going back to the drawing board (literally) to reconsider my options.

Some of these make me think that a C6 Vette and a Mk4 got busy in a parking garage late one night... I like it.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I would really like to see the continuation of the front end that the MKII started, the MKIII continued with and evolved with 2 incarnations, but unfortunately the MKIV seemed to drop completely. I always thought it lost a bit of it's "supra" signature when the MKIV lost it.

I am referring to the signature slot across the front. The slot that got notched with the 89+ design, which was still fine IMO. It bothered me a little when the MKIV dropped it completely. That always made me think "supra" before I ever owned one. It was very distinctive and unique to the car. And I was always draw to it on account of it looked mean and serious in your mirror.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
I agree the bottom right one is pretty sick. the others look like the LFA, some even look like a Hyundai. The BR one looks like a Supra still with the high rear wing, the triple round tails and the ducts midship. You should scrap the top pictures and go with this one

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
ok, so you guys like this front end + this rear?

attachment.php

Flateric,

I totally agree.i like the mk3 front and mkiv ass. the front end i posted brings back the bar that cuts through the whole front facia.. ive actually been pretty happy with that front end since i drew it, which is why the graphics carry over into both side proportions i originally posted. now the deliberation lies in the rear graphics, and side surfacing.

te72,

i know supras have never featured a continuous belt line, but most of them were products of the 1990's. when i originally started sketching , i wasnt drawing a pronounced beltline, but it's something virtually all modern cars feature. it gives the side view more character, but i definitely understand your statement that what i have right now is a bit busy. i think a lot of it has to do with the way i rendered it. i'll smooth it out for this next round of sketches, and hopefully arrive at some sort of happy medium.

Attachments

• new proposal..jpg
    new proposal..jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 128

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
As a great fan of evolutionary car design, but lacking heavily in talent, I'm very excited to see your thread. Much props to you for two awesome designs. Like some said before, however, the cars depart too far from the Supra heritage of long nose, shorter tail. I'm not one to criticize someone with talent like yourself. Maybe what we'd like to see is a evolutionary design based on the mkIII or MKIV, a design with strong Supra clues, that immediately reminds one of the earlier car, whichever one you choose. And yes, a front (although less C5-like) and rear like the above sketches would probably look great.

Very nice sketches! I like the rear quarter view with the wing in this sketch a lot (the one on the bottom right): http://www.supramania.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44637&d=1279940363

I agree with most everyone here, it needs to have a longer nose and shorter tail! The proportions front/rear on the sketch in the middle right look good here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44636&d=1279940355

I also think the large bulgy fenders are definitely a good styling cue that fits in with the older Supras. I'm not too sure about all the sharp lines and bulges and vents with bulges around them but I suppose that's what concept cars these days look like haha. Definitely gotta have the long nose and the multi-circle rear tails/hoop-like spoiler for that MKIV-esque look though. It's the Supra normal everyday people think of as "the Supra" so the new one's gotta look sort of like it for sure!