Might need an alternator

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
maybe you need a better wire from alt to battery, and ground... those were my reasons for low voltmeter readings (would flux between 11v and 14)

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
New York, New York, United States
tlo86;1472279 said:
maybe you need a better wire from alt to battery, and ground... those were my reasons for low voltmeter readings (would flux between 11v and 14)

Mine bounces but it stays at 12 mostly like it just wiggles above or below I heard something about a MR-2 alternator would bolt up and its stronger but I dont think my old 7MGE one will fit

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
Hey guys I got a serious problem changed my alternator and battery drove down to my cousins thinking that would fix my charging problem. When I went to go start the car I did nothing but stare back at me with dim lights. still have a battery light on, car isnt charging and I put in brand new parts this charging problem could also be why my tps doesnt go past 2500 any info on the alternator wiring would be a big help

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Check your ALT fusible link & fuses. Also make sure the main power wire from the alternator is still connected up, since you have to extend it in the 1jz swap it might have disconnected somewhere.

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
JonoTurbo;1475117 said:
Check your ALT fusible link & fuses. Also make sure the main power wire from the alternator is still connected up, since you have to extend it in the 1jz swap it might have disconnected somewhere.

Checked all fuses continuity the whole 9 nothing all these tests and nothing then snowball to the face made me realize the alternator stud is straight to the battery grounded to the casing hit it with the test light nothing then I realized I only have the cable to the starter and grounds on where does the alternator wire come from off the harness?

Ooh you may begin laughing I did :biglaugh:

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
The stud on the alternator connects up to the harness where the original 7m alternator connected over by the battery. If you haven't done it yet, you'll have to extend that wire across the engine bay to the other side to hook it up.

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
JonoTurbo;1475439 said:
The stud on the alternator connects up to the harness where the original 7m alternator connected over by the battery. If you haven't done it yet, you'll have to extend that wire across the engine bay to the other side to hook it up.

so on the 1JZ harness does it poke out at the front middle or rear of the intake manifold I want to find the other end first so when i pull it through the new wire will follow and I just have to join it to the original alternator wire, so I need to find giant crimpers

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
It doesn't actually go very far into the harness... if you follow the wire it just goes into the harness for a few inches and then comes back out on the passenger side. Its supposed to connect to another wire in that area behind the passenger headlight and then run under the radiator support to the drivers side. So you have to run a new wire, there's no wire there already.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Run it to the old alternator wire, i'm not sure what connecting it straight to the battery might do.

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
turboguy327;1476966 said:
You can safely run a power cable from the alternator B+ to the battery B+ without hurting anything. It will actually help you rather than hurt you.

Well i was afraid the battery might overcharge and pop I bolted the old 7M and the new wire together and tapped it from there to the alternator works fine charging at like 17v lol