Merlyn's 91 GTE Build?

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
IJ. said:

Bah, I have a penis... you know men don't RTFM

Edit: Manual shows you how to take a picture (knew that) but it is just a "video" recording with no video for 7 seconds...

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
The dye turned out rather well. Sorta still debating what I am going to do about the driver seat as it is a bit roughed up... Also debating about the passenger seat as it seems the reclining aspect of it is a bit out of wack, but time will tell

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Doesn't look too shabby. I didn't read the above post and just clicked on the link and was wondering why you had two completely different types of seats there, then I was like, "wait, they didn't make that color from the factory on the supra..." ;)

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Yea, 16 cans of fabric dye works wonders (took 6 cans on the black seat) so 10 left to work in the driver seat, then deciding what to do with my back seats.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
The seats look pretty good. You definitely need to find someone with a digital camera to take some pics. I'm really curious as to how it looks in detail.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
So far I have had to go back and touch up a few areas, in certain light I "think" I see some red left, but then it disappears at another angle. Long story short, they are black and unless someone really starts to look, and even then I am not sure if they could tell the difference.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Ok... after taking picture I realized I have to go back over some spots, mostly when they are hit with direct light you see the "red" under them...

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

seat3.jpg

seta4.jpg

seat5.jpg

seat6.jpg

seat7.jpg

Last edited:

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
I dyed my seats in a similar fashion and after getting in and out of the car for a month it began to wear off and expose the blue (factory color) underneath...<BR><BR>Keep me updated on how yours turn out.<BR><BR>-Devon Goodspeed

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Well, I am not sure the material you used, but I used this on just standard fabric to test it, a white t-shirt and it physically dyed the fabric. This stuff was developed for couches, chairs, tshirts, ect ect

it then was found to work on automobile fabric as well.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Well... went out to my car today, checked some cables, turned the key and it ran, it sat at 500 RPM... I was sooo happy, then we realized it had a blown head gasket. The head was removed by TurboFreak, I and a local friend... took us 3 hours, none of us ever taking the supra head off... here are some pictures of todays fun events

rebuild01.JPG

rebuild02.JPG

rebuild03.JPG

rebuild04.JPG

rebuild05.JPG

rebuild06.JPG

rebuild07.JPG

rebuild08.JPG

rebuild09.JPG

rebuild10.JPG

rebuild11.JPG

rebuild12.JPG

rebuild13.JPG

rebuild14.JPG

rebuild15.JPG

rebuild16.JPG

rebuild17.JPG

rebuild18.JPG

rebuild19.JPG

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Yea, I guess so.. I plan to probably rebuild the motor

I have an extra GTE that I am told was rebuilt recently, so I am going to tear that down and see what exactly was rebuilt ect. The motor is "blown" but it is a simple fix, so going to check everything out and see.

pmohr

Maxima.org traitor
Jun 20, 2007
Pasadena, MD
Merlyn said:
Well... went out to my car today, checked some cables, turned the key and it ran, it sat at 500 RPM... I was sooo happy, then we realized it had a blown head gasket. The head was removed by TurboFreak, I and a local friend... took us 3 hours, none of us ever taking the supra head off... here are some pictures of todays fun events

I've got a username on the board too, damnit.

I was just glad that we didn't run into any big problems during the removal. Nothing like that 300 6 I did with some friends, where we had the head off in ~15 minutes, but not too bad nonetheless. Just damn happy it's an inline, and not a V.

Did you say you were going just MHG + the upper gasket/seal kit for now? Or pulling the motor soon?

EDIT: Just thought of something. I do hope that those cams are marked, because I don't remember which is which from when I put them in the hatch. They should be, I imagine.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
We marked everything else, but forgot to mark the cams.. eh trial and error I suppose :-D

I have cams here... yea, I can see the gear, I will know which is exhaust... I new that too, thinking about it

edit:

max owners taking over SM

I decided to only machine the head and get a MHG, I know I know... dont do it, but from the posts I have read with people just machining the head, and talking to friends of mine who know far more then I saying the odds the bottom block would become warped ect... I am going to take the risk... I plan to rebuild / get a new motor anyway just right now I am tooo much in debt

Last edited: