Merlyn's 91 GTE Build?

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Well, over the last few months I have owned 3 supras. I settled on a 1991 Toyota Supra Targa Turbo 5-speed Black

(Below Image is Photoshoped to make the paint look a little nicer)

megan%20copy.jpg

The car was not running when I purchased it and still is not running. Currently has a 70k mile GTE Engine in it. The car itself has 170k Miles. The car was then towed to my mechanics where he has been working on it to pass inspection.

I don't care to hear the whole

"Wait, this is not your build, this is your mechanics"

Simply, I can not store a non running vehicle where I live. My mechanic is a family friend who is helping me out (reason it has been there so long, I am not 1st priority)

Since the purchase of the car I have also purchased

HKS SSQV BoV With pipe

Apexi Air Filter Kit

The car is mostly just a fun car to drive on nice days and to take to the track / learn about cars. I am not sure 100% which route I will go, but I am already planning things in my head.

The first task of mine once I get the car is to fix the actual seats. The cushioning in the seats is long gone (or so it seems) and I don't care to sit in an uncomfortable seat. I have a pair of seats that I attempted to dye black (using fabric dye found online, that was said to work)

One of the seats is outside right now with that "dye" on it (it is a spray on dye), but it doesn't seem to be effecting the seat much, it seems like our seats are somewhat waterproof, or at least feels like it.

All in all, I am not sure how much of this is a build thread vs just a diary of my car and what is done to it (not saying that is not the definition of a build thread), but well, It is not going to be pushing 1000+HP, nor am I gutting the thing, it is going to be a car that I enjoy and love and this is here for those that wish to watch my love turn into something...

Below are some other pictures I have of the car

Picture%20003.jpg

My first Boost Gauge :-D

Picture%20004.jpg

Picture%20007.jpg

Picture%20008.jpg

Picture%20013.jpg

Oh and I almost forgot... Current status of the car is... well it doesn't run.

So far we (Yes I go to my mechanics and help him) have timed my car, removed some water from the spark plug wells, traced the issue to the fuel injectors. We believe it might be the ECU, but currently my mechanic is tracing the wires from the ECU to the fuel injectors to see what exactly might be causing the problem (if not the ECU), otherwise an ECU is on its way.

Thank you for reading, sorry it isn't too amazing, but well I was bored and figured this would condense all my other (oh look what I got) threads :-D

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
Yeah, you don't see many around anymore. I've had two '90T's, but that's the closest I've ever gotten.

By the way, how much did that thing end up running you?

...Just out of curiosity.

-Devon Goodspeed

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Stopped by the mechanics today to get my 88 running before I sell it. Got that running and then me and my mechanic took a look at a few things on the 91.

The injectors are working, so we know it is not bad injectors yet the ECU looks un touched (from what I hear you can usually see damage to an ECU if it is bad). The ECU from high psi 1jz should be here tomorrow so that is good. Going to plug that in tomorrow to see if the car is working. just felt like giving you guys some updates.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
So, I installed the ECU... and no go.. I told my mechanic to stop what he was doing and think with me...

fuel is there... power is there to injectors... ECU is fine... we have continuity... the injectors are not being grounded...

I said what else is in the equation (I don't know alot but can trouble shoot), he said cam position sensor...

sure enough one of the coils was reading nothing

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
it "can" but I never really figured that portion out... it like takes the picture and seems to "freeze" for a few seconds to allow you to transfer that, but other then that there is no memory card in it