Maft Pro Initial Setup Questionss

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
I just installed the Maft Pro w/speed dens. & used the "Quick Setup 4.40" sheet for initial settings. Wired as instructed & everything is connected but not soldered yet. I have the Map sens on the driver side fender w/vacuum line connected to the port above the FPR Vac. line. The AIT is just before the TB on 3K pipe. I'm having the following problems. Engine idels erraticly. 500-1000 RPM a few minutes then dies. Start it up dies, start it up give gas idels erraticly again. If I rev it slightly past 1100 rpm it dies. Its also running real rich. I have searched & read through all I could find but nothing on this. Could have missed it but it took me about 5 hrs to install the pro & I have spent another 8 hrs looking for the cause of the problems so I'm kinda spent & would like some ideas on what to look for.

Thanks

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
Yea it is. Thanks anyway however I got it to work. Turns out once I learned how to read the settins I seen my TPS was out. Reading .18 TP closed & 2.6 fully open. Ouch! I set it to .5 closed but I can only get 3.7 fully open. Also I had the MAP vac. line near the FPR vac. line. Switchd that to the stock boot line & she Idls perfect now 650~ RPM. Took it for a test drive & she runs great!! Still has a slight pop/miss but may be the plugs.

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
Thanks Guys. Yea Stefan my initial problem was caused by a BAD Vacuum source. From link you posted I 1st pluged it into the 25706 pipe. There are 2 VAc lines which runs to the FPR & TB. I used the one to the TB. Bad Idea cause it caused all my problems. I used the vac line going to the stock boost gauge & all is good now. Thanks for thr info Capt. I was nervious because the install sheet said I should see 4.5 with the TB plate fully open. I'm real happy because its been years since I have seen or felt my supra idle so smooth & steady. Hey Fuzz, yea I would like to have gotten it on sooner. Had it for a cpl weeks but this was my 1st weekend off of work in a while. I'll dyno it once I learn to tune it well. With my time budget looks like it will be 3 or 4 weeks. I want to get another baseline before I add the 550 inj. & FFIM later this spring. LMK if you need any help FUZZ

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
Im glad to hear it runs good with the inital setup because thats wat I was worried about I got mine all soldered in and now I just need to put in my AIT sensor and my MAP sensor. Also need to install my wide band sensor I got the wires hooked up on that as well. Not to thread jack but if I install my wide band do I need my stock O2 sensor or can I ditch it?

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
whenmunkysfly said:
...Not to thread jack but if I install my wide band do I need my stock O2 sensor or can I ditch it?

depends on how you configure it.

some WBs have programmable outputs....so you could run a simulated NB signal to the ECU.

you can ditch the stock O2 and then use the MAFT pro to do part throttle AFR tracking....but that is only useful AFTER you have your tune down pretty well.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
drjonez said:
depends on how you configure it.

some WBs have programmable outputs....so you could run a simulated NB signal to the ECU.

you can ditch the stock O2 and then use the MAFT pro to do part throttle AFR tracking....but that is only useful AFTER you have your tune down pretty well.

Ok so tune first then I can ditch it?

Edit: I do plan to have it dyno tuned as well

Edit2: I also want to run the lean cruse eventually

Last edited:

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
as long as your TPS is set as per the TSRM....you may want to also check that the TB is actually opening all the way...and that your floor mat isn't interfering w/the gas pedal....

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
I'll get someone to watch voltage while I open the TB via the throttle rod to see if the pedal has slack. How can we tell where WOT occurs if there's varying voltage between folks cars? I guess to use A/F tracking I could set min. TPS to 3.2 or so instead of the preset 4.9?

Thanks Adam.
Brian

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
prsrcokr said:
I'll get someone to watch voltage while I open the TB via the throttle rod to see if the pedal has slack.

yup. slack in the linkage and/or the thorttle cable and/or stuff in the way of the accel pedal all can cause problems...

prsrcokr said:
How can we tell where WOT occurs if there's varying voltage between folks cars?

WOT V is going to vary from car to car. hence the need to see what your car is doing...

prsrcokr said:
I guess to use A/F tracking I could set min. TPS to 3.2 or so instead of the preset 4.9?

Thanks Adam.
Brian

set it according to your WOT reading...

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
You don't want it slightly lower than WOT? I thought WOT occured ~80% throttle or so. I'm still setup as AFC mode but hope to start using speed/density very soon. Just trying to make sure I understand first.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Steve_N said:
Thanks Guys. Yea Stefan my initial problem was caused by a BAD Vacuum source. From link you posted I 1st pluged it into the 25706 pipe. There are 2 VAc lines which runs to the FPR & TB. I used the one to the TB. Bad Idea cause it caused all my problems. I used the vac line going to the stock boost gauge & all is good now. Thanks for thr info Capt. I was nervious because the install sheet said I should see 4.5 with the TB plate fully open. I'm real happy because its been years since I have seen or felt my supra idle so smooth & steady. Hey Fuzz, yea I would like to have gotten it on sooner. Had it for a cpl weeks but this was my 1st weekend off of work in a while. I'll dyno it once I learn to tune it well. With my time budget looks like it will be 3 or 4 weeks. I want to get another baseline before I add the 550 inj. & FFIM later this spring. LMK if you need any help FUZZ

Goodstuff. I talked to tachyon, they told me they could do all the work but the maftpro on my setup, so i may have to do it my self:biglaugh:

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
prsrcokr said:
You don't want it slightly lower than WOT? I thought WOT occured ~80% throttle or so. I'm still setup as AFC mode but hope to start using speed/density very soon. Just trying to make sure I understand first.

not sure what you're saying. WOT = wide open throttle, i.e. throttle plate open as wide as possible. sounds like you're referencing the open loop transition? that's around 70% throttle....