LSx coils

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
northwestsupra;1605389 said:
118.75 without the tool plus shipping. That's cheap? Lol
It is.....

Price having a custom wire set made to your specs.

If you think $120 is expensive you've chosen the wrong hobby and one of the worst cars to use for it.

And that's ok no thanks required for going to the effort of spoon feeding you the links...

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Im having the same dilemma right now. Well, not the unemployed thing, but the "where the f*** can i put these coils" Problem.

Im thinking since i want a FFIM anyway, ill just wait till then so i dont have to make 2 sets of spark plug wires and trigger harnesses.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
Nosechunks;1605775 said:
Im having the same dilemma right now. Well, not the unemployed thing, but the "where the f*** can i put these coils" Problem.

Im thinking since i want a FFIM anyway, ill just wait till then so i dont have to make 2 sets of spark plug wires and trigger harnesses.

2 sets of spark plug wires???

yea mounting them in a spot where you can use stock lengthed wires is kinda tuff lol. idk i personally feel that the firewall would be fine, i mean some people have mounted the stockers up there to and had no failures that ive noticed. plus where it sits not the hood will be lifted a little higher so it should exhaust heat in that area a little better. so i think for now im gonna just leave them there, and leave extra harness wire incase i move them later. and just keep an eye on the temps of that area after doing some hard drives. and i also have 2 extra coils in case of failure

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well that point (hood to windshield) is a high pressure point at speed and will be an air intake rather then exhaust. Also water when you wash your car or drive in the rain. When i removed the rear weather striping at the rear of the hood, after washing my car water would fill the plug valley of cylinder 5-6. I had to cut a foot long section of the weather strip out and put it back at the rear of the motor so water could not run down the windshield and land on the motor.

Two spark plug wire sets because i would make a custom fitting set no matter where i mounted them. I want to mount them in a COP manner or on one of the valve covers but i cant because of the stock intake manifold.

If i were to mount them now i would have to make spark plug wires to fit with the stock manifold, then make another set after i mount them in a different place after i bought or made a FFIM.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
Nosechunks;1606357 said:
Well that point (hood to windshield) is a high pressure point at speed and will be an air intake rather then exhaust. Also water when you wash your car or drive in the rain. When i removed the rear weather striping at the rear of the hood, after washing my car water would fill the plug valley of cylinder 5-6. I had to cut a foot long section of the weather strip out and put it back at the rear of the motor so water could not run down the windshield and land on the motor.

Two spark plug wire sets because i would make a custom fitting set no matter where i mounted them. I want to mount them in a COP manner or on one of the valve covers but i cant because of the stock intake manifold.

If i were to mount them now i would have to make spark plug wires to fit with the stock manifold, then make another set after i mount them in a different place after i bought or made a FFIM.

This is why I think the back fire wall is not a good idea......Happened to me years ago with the water flodding in a car wash. lol

Hey, chunks call me sometimes.....646 245 5908

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey northwest, I managed to get all my coils nicely into my valley. The trick for me was to crisscross them. For example coil #2 sits ontop of spark plug #1 and Coil #1 sits ontop of sparkplug #2. The worked really well with the length of the premade spark plug wires I got from MSD (I think, I'll double check the brand name here for you). Crisscrossing the pairs like this into 3 groups allowed me to even put my plastic valley cover on to without any problems.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Hrm, I'm 2jz, so I'm not entirely sure if we have more valley space than the 7m does or not, it's been a few years since I had a 7m in my car and can't truly remember. Still I was having the same puzzle to figure out and finally fell upon this as the best solution for me. And so I was thinking may be a possibility for you too.

I'll snap a pic in a bit here to show you my solution to help clarify things for you.

supranasty

Yo Daddy
Apr 12, 2005
jamaica ny
Do these coils make your car faster with under 500 rwhp ?
Do they save gas ?
Where is the improvement ?
They seem to make more clutter in the enginebay .
HELP ME !

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
At higher boost levels the stock coils have a hard time sending enough voltage to the spark plug to create a spark because of a few reasons. The stock coils are old, they are used in wastespark so there lighting two plugs per fire an are also firing twice as often as a single coil per plug setup.

More voltage allows a larger gap to be run witch allows a greater chance of lighting the mixture more completely.

The LSx coils will fire once per cylinder power stroke and produce more voltage then the stock coils. They also have built in ignitors so for people running a standalone there easy to wire for the benefit of a hotter spark.

A hotter coil is like race fuel, it doesn't make more power alone but it gives the ability to make more power when utilized.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
supranasty;1606706 said:
Do these coils make your car faster with under 500 rwhp ?
Do they save gas ?
Where is the improvement ?
They seem to make more clutter in the enginebay .
HELP ME !

I actually feel they create less clutter due to the lack of ignitor wiring. Not why I chose to do them personally. But I also just realized I didn't return with the promised pics for you yet northwest.

I chose LS1 coils because of the cracked JZ coils I had, the cost of new JZ coils and the fact I can get 8 LS1 coils for the price of 2 new JZ coils, they have a stronger spark, my ECU directly supports them without any issues by a wizard.

After using them for some time now I can honestly say I feel even at none performance activities. Say even idling, they do make a smoother, strongerengine operation.

I'll try to remember when I go out to park it after I eat here.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
Flateric;1606791 said:
I actually feel they create less clutter due to the lack of ignitor wiring. Not why I chose to do them personally. But I also just realized I didn't return with the promised pics for you yet northwest.

I chose LS1 coils because of the cracked JZ coils I had, the cost of new JZ coils and the fact I can get 8 LS1 coils for the price of 2 new JZ coils, they have a stronger spark, my ECU directly supports them without any issues by a wizard.

After using them for some time now I can honestly say I feel even at none performance activities. Say even idling, they do make a smoother, strongerengine operation.

I'll try to remember when I go out to park it after I eat here.

hey its fine dude, the valley area is i know taller on a 2jz vs a 7m, and most likely they are wider.

i totally forgot about the water going past the weather stripping :p duhhhhhh oh well ill find a new place, im just going balls out and getting the DIY wiring kit that ian recommended.. thanks again Ian

grifter679

Dec 14, 2008
San Francisco
i know that your kinda fucked with out having a ffim, but i have managed to mount my coils onto the two bosses on hte cyclinder head so that the coils sit above the fuel rail, It doesnt look to bad, and the bracket was fairly simple to build, I just used some 1/8th wall tubing with a ID of 1/4", then used some 1/4 allthread the tighten the col packes to the spacers, I will try to get pics up when I get a chance

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
well meanwhile, here is a wire diagram i did of my engine harness. The coil "ECU" ground is the only thing i still havent wired up.

this is my previous wiring diagram i went over it the diagram below
p1607253_1.jpg

this is the same diagram but in-case someone see's something wrong with it here is the updated one with ignition switch and relays and ignition body ground
p1607253_2.jpg

Last edited: