Ls to r154 help

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
That's one of my goals is distribution...I believe for my build with the all aluminum motor,the 154 will be my best option. Besides I already have it, it'll handle all I intend to throw at it, and it makes for a 50% yota power train,well 66% if you include the rear end... Hey al don't forget about me when you get your adapter, no rush still got some loose ends to button up, but I'm getting closer :)

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
That's my plan is retain all factory mounting of my tranny/ driveshaft. No point in creating a needless headache!

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Can't wait to see the build should be cool either way u go. I'm really thinlking about going to a t56. Because in my cassis it will fit right up and I can't run stock dl due to the bmw chassis .but that will not be for awhile maybe next year. Ill see where it takes me. I may just rebuild the 154. But having a 6th gear is also cool

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
I'm gonna go threw your build up and check it out but your running a 1j with r154 right now and your wanting to switch just for an extra gear? Seems like a lot of work for such little gain IMO. Is the yota tranny giving you trouble? Are you planning on lots of hp increase? Bty thanks for the support .

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Yes 1j with r154. And no not really any trouble. Kinda sloppy and starting to grind from 4th to 3rd.
Hp wise I'm shoot at 600 wheel next summer. The tranny should hold that with a good rebuild.

I'm just looking for the gearing u get from the extra gear on the hwy and still have a real quick 1to 3rd. I'm have not really ran the numbers . But it will crusie in 6th at 70mph doing like 2200 rpm.

the fab for me will be adapter plate witch already have access to one to go 2j to t56. half of that part is done just would have to adapt it for 7m bell. And I have to build a new driveline as it is the one I run now is just a mock up . It just so happens its holding 400+ wheel, but i also enjoy the building part.

where i live the price for r154 is going up and in most cases after rebuilds , your into them 12-1400 or more if you go with the mc race build, at some point the price is going to be to great due to the low amount of trannys around. and the way my head works is once it get to be half or more of the price to build the t56 why not go that route, if that makes sence to you. their is more t56 avaiblity, and you cant get into a used one and have it rebuilt for about 2700.

Other bennifits for you if u go with t56 is that u can stick with the gm clutch and not go to the smaller 7m style clutch. You will for surly get one that will hold the torq of a ls with no problems. But you may not like to step on the pedel. Btw what are you hp number goals with the ls. ? All this clutch talk my not even matter if their not really high goals.lol

Last edited:

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
One of the nice things about a T56 is the availble gear options. There are the 2.95/2.97/2.66 first gear choices and there relative 2-3 ratios, and you can mix and match fifth and sixth to meet your goals. I was looking not really looking for another overdrive spread, I just wanted about 600rpm drop from 5 to 6. i was able to find me a tranny shop that geared me with a 2.66 first with a .71/.55 overdrive set. I then geared the car with a 4.30 gear and 255/35/18 tire. Ill be switching to a 245/40/18 and effectivly makes the gear a 4.13 set. I still get about 50mph outa first gear, but cruise at 70/75 in the 2300rpm range.

I had my box outfited with a 31 spline output shaft, triple cone carbon syncros, and with the 2.66 first, the box is capable to handle 900rwtq. So if we can make peak tq at 6000rpm, thats just over 1000rwhp,and if we can make peak tq at 7500 thats almost 1300whp. (well above my goals!)

Last edited:

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
You make a valled point and for your setup it sounds like it would be cost efficient for your goal. For me it wouldn't because I'm more into getting a low fat torque curve to get this heavy turd moving. Only real upgrade I'm doing is a cam I've calculated for having around 50 deg of overlap to maximize volumetric efficiency of my valve size in relation to cubes per cylinder, a duel plane intake to minimize any pulses back in the intake ports from the overlap. Everything else with be mostly just insurance pieces arp hardware, titanium retainers, new springs, hardened push rods ect. With that said I guess I would have somewhere around high 400 low 500 range but that's not my main goal. The clutch I'm gonna start with is the one for the fj, it's almost 11" so we'll see how long it last. Next resort might get creative but I'm a kiss formula kind of guy :)

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Are you using a gm bellhousing with an adapter plate to mount the r154? If running a gm clutch, call any of the clutch companys and have them substitute the gm center for a toyota center. Thats what I did but went with the other way around and am running a toyota clutch with gm center.

iirc the camaros run the 2.66 first with a 3.42 rearend gear. LS motors make monster tq down low, so take advantage of it, especially with the common .5 sixth, and get in the meat of the tq curve for mileage as well.

525gte's setup runs near 3000rpm for highway cruise with a 154 and a 4.11 diff.

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
2461 is what I'm calculating with my current tires @60. Motor should have good torque from 2200 up so it should be right where I need it. Yes that is the plan haven't got it that far yet though. That's good info I didn't know they would even consider doing that. I assume they charged more? If I have to much wheel spin in first I may look into different diff gears but I won't know till then. I've tried to strip as much weight in the front as possible and gonna move battery to trunk just to help any way I can in regards to that.

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
I'm actually building an engine cradle right now so I can get it off the engine stand where I can get the input shaft into the crank and take some measurements.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
2500 doing 60.. that's what I do now. But most hwy is 70 mph my car turns 2950rpm. And I feel that's too high for long trips. It would be nice to crusie 70 at 2500

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Riceman83;1885015 said:
That's one of my goals is distribution...I believe for my build with the all aluminum motor,the 154 will be my best option. Besides I already have it, it'll handle all I intend to throw at it, and it makes for a 50% yota power train,well 66% if you include the rear end... Hey al don't forget about me when you get your adapter, no rush still got some loose ends to button up, but I'm getting closer :)

I haven't forgotten you. I am should have things ready to go by the end of the week. I will let you know.