Ls to r154 help

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
Ok guys I've been reading for months now preparing for this swap, and I've yet to find the answers I need. I've seen a few builds, but none with the details I'm in search of. Ok I know that Novak, advanceadapters make such kits, but I'm not sure if these take into account the .400 difference with the crank compared to the older gmv8, or if that even matters. Ive emailed but i havent received a response. I'm assuming it would in regards to input shaft to pilot bearing/ clutch position,ect but without buying all and measuring and trying for myself idk. I figured some of ya could help save me the time and most important, money. Also I'm wanting to retain hydraulic clutch as well, but once again I've yet to see exactly what part people are using. Ive read where" ij if you respond"to where you told someone about you didn't see any Toyota clutch cylinder with enough volume to move a gm slave cylinder unless I misunderstood. I would extremely appreciate advise as to the best, easiest, cheapest setup for this combo. Thanks in advance. Also I have lots of 7mgte parts for sale if anyone needs anything just let me know.

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
MightyAl;1882380 said:
All the information is out there. In fact most of it is on this site.
Man I've read where chaingun, lime, and you were discussing, but no year model or part numbers were passed on as far as slave, fork, ect. It just says solistice slave, push fork. Thanks for replying though ill just keep searching.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
There is more then one way to skin this cat. If you are interested I have a whole novak adapter set up that I am not going ot use. I have the adapter, bellhousing, and quartermaster hydraulic throwout bearing. All it needs is the extended pilot bushing from advanced adapters, a clutch splined for the R154 that you can get from advance adapters or summit, a flywheel and pressure plate. I got a 3/4" clutch master cylinder with an adapter plate from arizona performance for my set up. I am going with the advance adapter setup just because I like the simpler external slave. Like I said there are a lot of ways to do this. Make sure you are getting the bell parts for the ax15 trans as it has the same length input shaft.

P.S. all the above info took me at least 6 months to gather and parse along with dropping about $1000. I have a lot of time and money into this hence why I don't like spoon feeding people.

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
I completely understand that's why I didn't pry. I know it takes a lot of time and research to do such a task and I'm totally respectful to your work. If your serious I would love to purchase your setup if your not gonna use it.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
This may be a dumb question. But why not just go with a t56 and a wilwood clutch pedal set up ? Granted I know nothing on the subject of ls swap. But seems like it would be a givin to go with a tranny that bolts up. Just asking a prob dumb question

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
The t56 puts the shifter about 8 inches back from the stock location. Not a big deal if you want to cut holes in your console. It just depends on what you want in your swap.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Ah that's good to know.. I was kicking round the idea of mounting a t56 behind my 1j in the futur. So that is something ill have to look into.

And is that 8 inchs with out the remote mount shift extention on it?

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Ah that's good to know.. I was kicking round the idea of mounting a t56 behind my 1j in the futur. So that is something ill have to look into.

And is that 8 inchs with out the remote mount shift extention on it?

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
I am not positive. One of the threads on installing an LS motor had a t56 bolted to it and he had to cut the center console to position the shifter. There was another person here that built a kit to bolt a t56 to a 1j/2j. I am unsure of the results on that one. The guy who did that was bigzavs.

Do a search and you can get the specs on all these transmissions to get a better idea. A little leg work goes a long way here.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Yeah my buddie nathaninwa has a t56 bolted to his 2j but that is going into a volvo so length is No comparison. But I have been kickin around the idea of rebuilding the 154 in my car now or going to a 6 speed. I will have to measure his 2j set up and post it on here if he has not already

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Looking back at my build thread. The r154 with the soarer remote shifter was 31.5 inch from block to center of shifter. Now I know u can't run the remote mount on a supra and I don't have that measurement but if I would guess it would be 25 or 26 inch without it. Ill try to get the t56 length later

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
While on the subject, has anyone put all the Martin crawler upgrades into their r154? Any input or real world experience?

ThunderZTA

Twitch
Apr 17, 2012
Texas
Riceman83;1884191 said:
While on the subject, has anyone put all the Martin crawler upgrades into their r154? Any input or real world experience?

I did the Driftmotion Marlin Crawler re-build and its holding fine

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
So I just took a measure off of a gt0 t56. And with the gm bell its about 30inch from back of block to the center of the shfter. And if you run the remote mount factory gto it makes it 3.25 inch longer .

So at its longest it would be 33inch and some change.

I would think with 2 less pistons of length you would have no problem getting the tranny to fit with out cutting the consol.. unless the bell is to big for the tunnel.. and I do not know that spec . I would think it would fit cuz they turbo 400s in them

Hope this helps with your decision

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
525gte;1884961 said:
So I just took a measure off of a gt0 t56. And with the gm bell its about 30inch from back of block to the center of the shfter. And if you run the remote mount factory gto it makes it 3.25 inch longer .

So at its longest it would be 33inch and some change.

I would think with 2 less pistons of length you would have no problem getting the tranny to fit with out cutting the consol.. unless the bell is to big for the tunnel.. and I do not know that spec . I would think it would fit cuz they turbo 400s in them

Hope this helps with your decision

Yeah but then you are moving the engine at least 6 inches forward and defeating the whole purpose of gaining a better weight distribution. You don't have 2 less pistons of length either the pistons are offset so it is 5 pistons in length. I am not saying right or wrong on this but it is a matter of what you are looking to achieve.