lots of ?'s vacuum-bhg-how to fix

z287mgte

Nov 18, 2008
ohio
First off i am new to car's kinda. so please give detail. My boost gauge says i am at -10 vacuum(i know i should be around -20) i am trying to find out why its so low. I have tried carb cleaner over many of the vac lines and such, but got no where.(would a leak from any where before the tb cause a leak(like the hard piping))... also if there is a bhg will i see a big loss in power? b/c she is running like a champ..(no over heat-no smoke).the vac pressure has been like this for a while but just found out its not supposed to be like that so trying to fix it.. I get 21+ mpg upgrades 550-lexus, hard piping, intake exhaust, 12 lbs boost. thanks for any help you can give.(I tried looking else where but was mission failure):1zhelp:

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
IF you believe you have a bhg at anytime, just take off the oil cap and see if you see a white ring. you can also tell by checking your oil, if there's white in your oil, you got a bhg.

outside of the stuff above, i have no clue but figured i'd let you kno, a lil way to check and see...

also you'd see a loss of power and it'd over heat.
Carter, J.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
if you can see coolant/ water mix with the oil, id suspect you'd be VERY lucky to save the bearings. supracentral has stated that a measly 400ppm of coolant and oil mix will eat the bearings, and that if you can see it, its most likely in the 10,000 ppm range.
a block tester will rule that out in a matter of seconds.

Many tests have shown that as little as 0.04% (400 PPM) water in lubricating oil can cut the fatigue life of bearings by as much as 48%. -SC

Last edited:

DangoAZ

Driver
Jun 13, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
There are a couple of things to consider before jumping to the bhg conclusion... What could cause your low vacuum? It could be (among other things):

- Boost gauge doesn't read properly?
- What elevation are you at? High elev. will see lower vac readings.
- How is your gauge plumbed to the manifold?
- Do you have a vacuum leak you haven't found? <---:x:

If it is a bhg that affects the vacuum that much, I would think you would see symptoms. Like the fellows before me suggested the water in the oil, but a bhg failure could also be exhaust in the coolant, or coolant in the cylinders.

Please do a search on "boost leak testers" first, and rule that out before you jump to the bhg conclusion. Then start searching on "blown head gasket symptoms" or "bhg symptoms" to see if you have any.

Good luck... If you can rule it down to something a little more specific, it will be easier for others to share some help.

z287mgte

Nov 18, 2008
ohio
i did do research on bhg.. i have none of the symptoms, but just wanted to know if i would see power loss.. none of the pages have info on power loss(they say sometimes it could have power loss- in bad cases) i have the boost gauge hooked to the vac line closest to the fire wall that is hooked into the intake manifold.. where should i put it?
thanks for the info so far..

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Are you ever adding coolant, and wondering where it went?

My experience with BHG had no power loss whatsoever. For that matter, I didn't show any signs of BHG other than what I questioned above. My only overheating problems were after 15 or so interstate miles when coolant was low. It would be fine until I got off the interstate, and the cool wind was gone. Compression tests were even good, so I continued to drive it for almost a year, but it finally let loose after that.

z287mgte

Nov 18, 2008
ohio
the very first day of 30 or less cold weather after 2 hour drive i turned my car off, got out and then saw i was losing coolant- just enough to through up the i am empty sign.. i put very little in and never had the problem ever again.