Looking for recommendations/pics for new exhaust (show us your SUPRA's hiney!)

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Found out my 90t has a 3" downpipe, stock cat and stock muffler. And I'm thinking, did they run out of money here or something? So I decided I'm going to keep the cat, albeit make it a 3" hi-flow one. What to do about the muffler - I really don't like the "ricer" sound, I don't like a loud car period. I don't know if I want one of those tin can ones either that are so popular on SM (sorry guys!). Anyone got pics, got suggestions? What hi-flow cat gives a decent balance of performance vs. fumes?

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
tanabe shm. its quiet and its not a ricer can. search the forum for tanabe exhaust and check out the product review section

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
I find it REALLY hard to make a turbo inline 6 a "ricer"... no matter how cheap your exhaust is... its really hard to make it sound "bad" too.... overly loud is a whole different thing. haha

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Tanabe SHM

p939629_1.jpg

p939629_2.jpg

Last edited:

ETS Tom

Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver, WA
Rennat;939612 said:
I find it REALLY hard to make a turbo inline 6 a "ricer"... no matter how cheap your exhaust is... its really hard to make it sound "bad" too.... overly loud is a whole different thing. haha

I agree that it's really hard to make most any turbo motor sound bad, especially inline sixes :evil2:

The Tanabe does sound/look great but we have another option you guys may like :) We build both a 3.5" and 4" MKIII cat-back system. They are designed for maximum flow with no restriction and have the meanest tone I've heard on either a 7M or 2JZ. Here's our 4" system next to the Tanabe:

omegavstanabeah2.jpg

And installed!

mkiiiexhaustnl6.jpg

mkiii4inchje0.jpg

Tom

Clied

Wangan Supra
Jun 8, 2006
NorCal
Pacesetter... It's quiet but restrictive and you won't have to worry about the "tin can" style because it looks stock.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
I really like the dual-tailpipe look. Its more subtle, doesn't hang as low off the back of the car. I think the 4" pipes look more like coffee-cans hung on the back. But I have noticed that some have the 3" cans, and perhaps its how they're installed, but they aren't as noticeable. I'm hoping some of those folks will post pics and explain how it was done..

ETS Tom

Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver, WA

NocturnalKitty

May 22, 2005
Ca/Az
ZoomZoomZoom;939999 said:
I really like the dual-tailpipe look. Its more subtle, doesn't hang as low off the back of the car. I think the 4" pipes look more like coffee-cans hung on the back. But I have noticed that some have the 3" cans, and perhaps its how they're installed, but they aren't as noticeable. I'm hoping some of those folks will post pics and explain how it was done..

i agree which was why i went w/the hks 75mm. the only thing that sucks about this catback is that the tips are the only SS steal part of it making rust an issue down the line. sucks that the catback is now discontinued too. i love the sound of it though...just a slight bit louder than stock but sounds great. looks stock too. i perfer the sleeper look. ;)

p940174_1.jpg

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
935 motorsports DIY 3" system. Then pair it with WHATEVER muffler you want. I bought mine second hand with the megan racing can. If I had bought the system new I was gonna go with a magnaflow 3" inlet dual 2.5" or 3" outlets. I've seen pictures of these 2 mufflers on here before. You can tell the outlets are bigger but still looks stock-ish. not as loud as a big can.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
ETS Tom;940116 said:
Here's an older video of Nate's Supra when it was far less modified. This was from back when we sold the systems to HPF thus the titles :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyJR2cyujrQ

And another more recent video rollin'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36iGtg7o-WY

And on the dyno :evil2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXBjRTU7anA

Tom

Man I do like the way that sounds, but unfortunatly I just looked at the price...though I do like the way this one sounds better I think I'm gonna have to go with the apexi N1...