Looking for a reliable/fun daily driver

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
My input:

Miata= gay, small, girl's car, yes great autoX car though
240= common, lots of parts avaliable
MR2= small, fun car, horrible alternative to a Supra if it's coming from an insurance stand point as in MR2 are very dangerous with an MR configuration.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
GotToyota? said:
Joe: Fuck you, and Fuck Civics. :icon_mad: ;)
We're talking about a reliable daily driver that will put you through college without much maintenence or hassle.

You sound like you're trying to buy another money pit. Just not a Supra.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
I def agree with Joe. If you want something reliable and that gets you through college, dont look at the stuff you are looking at. I think kyles idea is a good one.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
EXACTLY!

Any 10+ year old car (MAY) already has reliability issues, unless you know who your buying from.

Why spend $3000 on a 20 year old piece of shit toyota sports car, opposed to a realiable daily driver?

Seriously, If I could buy another car right now, that is cheap, It would be a Celica, Im not sure how much my surpa would be driven after that tho.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
HellsLegion said:
I would seriously buy a Celica GTS.

The Celica has a VERY LONG tradition of reliability, economy and resale value. If you buy a decent one today you can expect to be able to sell it for a good price in a few years. A decent low milage 5th or 6th gen shouldnt cost much and would be an excellent choice for a DD to go to school in.

just my .02, but it sounds to me like you have your mind set on another "project"

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
theWeezL said:
The Celica has a VERY LONG tradition of reliability, economy and resale value. If you buy a decent one today you can expect to be able to sell it for a good price in a few years. A decent low milage 5th or 6th gen shouldnt cost much and would be an excellent choice for a DD to go to school in.

just my .02, but it sounds to me like you have your mind set on another "project"
I don't want a project.

And after research, MR2's seem very reliable, I've heard nothing but good remarks about them.

-Matt

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
id say go for a 240sx. Theyre reliable, can be made insanely fast if you really wanted to also.. Is also a good base car to do pretty much anything.

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
theWeezL said:
Get a 94-99 Celica! Fun, resonable performance, looks good, and you stay in the family.

What he said! :D I have one and honestly, I love the thing to death. Even though it's not a RWD car, it's a very fun, practicle daily driver. If you do take one into consideration, pick up a GT for the 2.2L 5SFE and the rear disc brakes. The STs have the 1.8L 7AFE with rear drums, but gets like 30+ mpg on a 14.5 gallon tank. Also consider looking for a coupe over a hatchback as the coupes are a lot stiffer in the rears than the hatches are.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
HellsLegion said:
If you thought you had to pay out the ass for Supra parts.... Wait till you need to replace somthing on an MR2.

I don't really get what you mean?

It's got a Camry engine, probably the most reliable Camry engine at that, there are no real problems with the car, and aside from the engine (which is from a Camry I might add) being mounting in the back, there's really nothing out of the ordinary about them as far as working on them or their expense.

IMO of course, but if anything I think MR2's are probably cheaper to maintain than a Supra.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
What do you mean the rest of the car is expensive? Name one part on an MR2 that is a lot more expensive than the equivalent part on a Supra? Or most other cars at that?

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Look at suspension parts.

Look at it this way. An MR2 is a sports car, thats what it was designed for, and what people bought it for. Old ladies didn't go to Toyota and buy MR2's to get groceries.

And since it was bought as a sports car, it was most likely driven as a sports car. And when that happens, shit wears out. And most specifically with MR2's, Suspension pieces. Bushings fastest.

I am saving some money so I can buy a practical car. But me being 18 I want a car that is RWD and has some power, but that isn't practical at all. A practical car is something cheap, and has 4 doors.

I know we are the same age Matt, but you need to look at something more longterm.

Get a cressida!

GeneStarWindGSW

Been To The Other Side...
Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
honda prelude(96-01)/subaru legacy(95-02)/300zx(91-96)/acura CL 2.3(98-99) or 3.0(97-99)

any of these cars with low mileage i've seen (friends who have then from about 40-60k to 140+k) all drive these car with no problems what-so-ever. just find 1,test dry it & see if there's nothing wrong them mechanically & body wise. You'll thank of if you do ^_^

the years i listed are the years i recommend.

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
Jeff Lange said:
What do you mean the rest of the car is expensive? Name one part on an MR2 that is a lot more expensive than the equivalent part on a Supra? Or most other cars at that?
I'm with Lange on this one, I'll be looking at the car tonight and driving it. If everything checks out this will most likely be my new car.

-Matt