Looking for a reliable/fun daily driver

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
Hey guys, my parents randomly decided out of nowhere that this is no time for me to have a Supra, due to college coming up and me needing something reliable for going to work and school.

What would you guys recommend for something that is both reliable and fun? I was thinking something like a Nissan 240SX (S14), or maybe a Mazda Miata? What do you guys think?

EDIT: I've got about $3500 to spend.

-Matt

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
1990-93-Geo-Storm-90125031990419.JPG

Geo Storm. Fucking badass car right there.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
GotToyota? said:
Hey guys, my parents randomly decided out of nowhere that this is no time for me to have a Supra, due to college coming up and me needing something reliable for going to work and school.

What would you guys recommend for something that is both reliable and fun? I was thinking something like a Nissan 240SX, or maybe a Mazda Miata? What do you guys think?

-Matt

Mazda Miata may be fun and economical, but it is entirely impractical. If you get the 240SX you will end up modding it and there goes the reliability factor. Get a 94-99 Celica! Fun, resonable performance, looks good, and you stay in the family.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
...and in that you show me that what you want is a sports car that you can slip past the parents. Reliability is greatly affected by how you use the right foot.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
GotToyota? said:
I know this. ;)

What do you guys think of MR2's?

-Matt

Fun little cars. I got the chance to drive a MKI 5-speed a while back and I really enjoyed it. They can be a pain to work on due to cramped spaces though.

So how come your parents can say you can't have the Supra? Are you not 18 yet? Are they paying for the car?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I've got an S13 with two motors.....an SR20 and a KA24. Neither motor is installed yet. Only asking $1500 for it all. Both motors are N/A, and tranny is automatic. Small project to get it going, but the reliability is in the fact if you blow a motor, you have a spare.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Miata's are cool but are kinda on the small side. S14's are cool too but it is going to be hard to find a clean one in your price range becaue of the drifting age.

cort

Feb 25, 2007
los alamos, NM
An early 90's honda CRX hatchback. would pass the parental inspection. great mpg. great consumer reports rating. enough room to fit all your crap or your girlfriend :). alot of fun to drive and a decent weekend auto crosser.
the miata and mr2 are hobby cars as their is no room for anything else in the car and less than a grocery cart fits in the trunk.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
There's plenty of room in an MR2, it's just split up all over the car, you can't fit anything really big, but you can fit a lot of small stuff.

MR2's are fun and reliable, especially if you get an N/A. The 4A-GE and 5S-FE are both fantastic engines.

They're super-fun.

PS: Thread moved.