Looking for a new Stereo

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Before you read further, please realize that I'm a complete noob at this stuff. I don't really know much about car audio or electrical stuff at all, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I'd really like to replace the stereo in the Sup to get some better sound make it so I don't have to use a cassette adapter for my mp3 player. I've still got the stock stereo in my 88 and it's pretty much dead.

I was originally looking for one of the black-out stereos like the Sony CDX M670 (see below), but they're long out of production and damned hard to get.

1244115449_resized.jpg

So since that option isn't... well, an option, I've decided to go the other way. Instead of getting a stereo that's visually unobtrusive, I thought I'd get one that's definitely there, and is nice looking. So I started looking at the ones with a small LCD screen. An hour later, I'm looking at units with small touchscreens, and I'm really liking the idea. They have a lot of functionality, look good, and I think the touchscreen would be a nice addition. The problem is that I don't know what's what. I'd like to get one that's single DIN so I have some extra space in the dash for things like a turbo timer and remote boost controller. I need to be able to connect my Zune, so an aux input is mandatory. Bluetooth would be cool, a CD player is a must, and a DVD player would be great, but isn't required. I'd also like to keep the cost below $200, since in the end it's just a radio, and I don't need the top end stuff.

So I looked around online and found a few options. Mostly I just did generic google searches, and of course I checked out ebay. Below are a few of the options that I found that are pretty much what I'm looking for:

BOSS BV7985:

XoVision XO1915BT:

Generic Ebay Unit #1:

Generic Ebay Unit #2:

Generic Ebay Unit #3:

(Sorry about the shitty picture)

Generic Ebay Unit #4:

Do you guys have any experience with units like these or have any recommendations/warnings? I'd really appreciate any comments, as long as they're not too insulting. :biglaugh:

Thanks!

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I like that eonon "generic ebay #4"
I was drawn to it as I like the way it looks, and reading more, it seems like it would be something that I would buy.

As far as performance, I couldn't tell you but based purely off aesthetics I would buy that one.
The good I see is it comes with all the USB and Ipod attachments, SD slot, supports bluetooth with built in microphone, includes remote, TV Tuner, DVD player, Motorized Face, TouchScreen, 60w preamp and has all the right pre-outs. The buyer has 100% FeedBack, is a dedicated eonon dealer with 322 transactions, and the unit has a 1 year warranty.
Can also switch USA/Euro radio frequencies which could be a plus for some people.

Downsides, Resolution is a little rough at 480x234, it's a no-name brand, doesn't support Ipod touch or Iphone (no real biggie for me..), and there's a pic of the display in direct light that you can't see anything but reflection.... could be the way the lighting is, tough to say judging from an ebay ad though.

that's pretty much it... seems like a good buy.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I'm in the same boat as you, but i'm wanting to stick with a Double DIN. Mine still has the factory radio. I'm waiting on the 6.5 Speaker Pods to make a decision on the radio but i've been shopping around at the Pioneer Double DIN Nav units. Kinda pricey though. Here are some of the ones that I liked.

http://www.al-eds.com/Pioneer-AVICX710BT-p19951.html
p130AViC710-f.jpg

Or

http://www.al-eds.com/Pioneer-AVICU310BT-p19950.html
p130AViC310-f.jpg

But would probably end up getting this.

http://www.al-eds.com/Pioneer-FHP800BT-p18315.html
FH-P800BT_main_hi_m.jpg

Don't think I could buy a no name brand off ebay!

Fergie76

May 12, 2009
Hendersonville NC
If you are looking for a good head unit for real good price. check out sonicelectronix.com just bought my new pioneer from them. Just for instance the last radio in this post is the pioneer FHB800BT. On the link you posted it is 349.00 on sonic it is only 279.00 I have buying things them for years and their customer service is top notch. I have had 1 problem but they fixed it quickly and refunded part of my money for the trouble.

Last edited:

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
So I checked out sonicelectronix.com, and I found a few more options.

Absolute ATV-860:

Dual XDVD8180:

Absolute isn't a name I've heard of, but I think Dual is a good name... right? Unlike the others, these are both 7" motorized touchscreens, which I would think would be cool. Anyone have any opinions or info?

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
I'm not sure how well those flip screens work in the Supra dash. My buddy loaned me his flip screen HU and it hit the dash above the radio cubbie when it opened. The problem was the the screen didn't come outward enough when it folded out... something to consider.

IMHO, the flips don't look good installed either. The only upside I see is that it's mostly hidden when closed.

FHP800BT... Hmmm, I think I just found my new radio... :)

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Thanks for the website. They definately have good prices. I chose those links because I saw them on youtube and had good videos of their products.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Ok, so I did a bit more research, and based on the flip-up screen not working correctly in our cars, I've decided to go with the screens that are smaller (4.3" - 5") and flip down. There are still the generic ones you can get on Ebay, but I've been looking at sonicelectronix.com based on Fergie's recommendation.

So that narrows it down a bit more. The brands I'm looking at are:

Boss
Pyle
XO Vision
Eonon

Does anyone have any experience with any of these?

Last edited:

89TBen

Sep 11, 2006
Mizzou
i have a clarion flip up head unit in my car and i love it. it works great. i love the clarion and i have had like 3 or 4 of their units. heres a few pics of mine.

Attachments

• clarion closed off.jpg
    clarion closed off.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 34
  • clarion closed on.jpg
    clarion closed on.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 39
  • clarion open.jpg
    clarion open.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 53

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Ok, so I've checked out about 15 different models from about 6 different manufacturers. It looks like most of the less expensive units out there are less expensive for a reason.

The following is what I've found about manufacturers according to online reviews for multiple models:

Boss - consistently a medium quality product
Pyle - generally a medium quality product, with few good/bad reviews
XO Vision - Very mixed reviews, ranging from very good to very bad. average = acceptable quality, but not reliable product or service
Eonon (Generic Ebay Brand #4) - very mixed reviews, but generally bad
Dual - generally very good reviews

So now I'm trying to find a Dual that will make me happy. Any input on their products?

89TBen - How would you say the viewing angle is on your clarion? It looks like you had to mount it forward a bit to get it to clear the dash molding, but you don't have any problems? Also, do you have a manual or auto tranny, and does it come close to hitting the shifter?

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
I would spend the extra money and go with a good name brand like Pioneer, Alpine, Eclipse or Clarion.

I used to have the exact Sony deck you showed in your first post. It was ok. Sound quality was acceptable but it started having problems after a few years.

I now have 2 Alpine units in each of my cars. One is this..

The other is this... http://reviews.cnet.com/in-dash-car-stereos/alpine-cda-9857/4505-6729_7-31732933.html

The double din touch screen was in my Supra and is now in my girlfriends RSX. I haven't spent too much time with it but I can say I was happy with the video quality and the build quality. Sound quality is not as good as I would want.

The single din Alpine 9857 is in my daily driver (Grand Cherokee). I love it. It has great sound quality, interfaces with my Ipod, has had the shit beat out of it in my Rubicon and never skips a beat.

Look at it this way. You can spend $200-300 now and replace it in 1-3 years. Or you can spend $400-? and know that you have a reliable good quality unit in your dash.

I run fairly big systems in my vehicles. I design my systems for sound quality. I won't get into technical details, but I wouldn't trust a no name head unit to run my system.

Also, if you are looking to upgrade the sound, you will need to do speakers as well. My suggestion is to get a good amp (it doesn't have to be huge wattage) to run your front speakers. The sound from a good external amp as opposed to sound coming from the amps in your deck will be night and day.

Just keep in mind...you get what you pay for.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Mostly I just want a decent stereo, I don't really need anything top end. I will be putting new speakers in all around, new wires, plus an amp and small sub in the trunk, but I'm trying to keep costs down since in the end, it's just a radio.

I really want to keep to a single DIN unit, but I really like the idea of a retractable touchscreen, which is causing the price to go up. Also, I really want one with built in bluetooth, so I don't have to worry about my phone.

Right now the unit I'm looking at most seriously is the Dual XDVD8183:

It seems to be a good all-around unit that has all the options I want, plus a few more. The price is about at the top end of what I'm willing to pay.

89TBen

Sep 11, 2006
Mizzou
Neodeuccio;1449339 said:
Ok, so I've checked out about 15 different models from about 6 different manufacturers. It looks like most of the less expensive units out there are less expensive for a reason.

The following is what I've found about manufacturers according to online reviews for multiple models:

Boss - consistently a medium quality product
Pyle - generally a medium quality product, with few good/bad reviews
XO Vision - Very mixed reviews, ranging from very good to very bad. average = acceptable quality, but not reliable product or service
Eonon (Generic Ebay Brand #4) - very mixed reviews, but generally bad
Dual - generally very good reviews

So now I'm trying to find a Dual that will make me happy. Any input on their products?

89TBen - How would you say the viewing angle is on your clarion? It looks like you had to mount it forward a bit to get it to clear the dash molding, but you don't have any problems? Also, do you have a manual or auto tranny, and does it come close to hitting the shifter?

i would say the viewing angle is pratty good. i dont use the touch screen that much but the place ment is very good in my opinion. i suppose the screen gets washed out when its really sunny but i have never really noticed it enought or enough of a glare to bother me. i know theres a glare in the pics but i think that more the camere. as far as mounting thats where it bolts up to the factory brackets. also the screen andgle is adjustable and there is a claibration function that will alow the screen to come out and find the optimal angle so it doesnt go back to far. my car is a 5 speed and i dont have any interference issues with the screen hitting the shifter. i found mine on ebay for really cheap because it was supposedly broken or something. but it works fine. the only issue is the face plat is beat up a little and i havent ordered a new one. i love my head unit and dont have any problems with it. preety much has everything i need and even plays dvds. lol i wrote a book i know but i hope it helps. i would search ebay for a descent brand not one of the cheaper ones.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I thought about ebay, but I'm worried about getting something I can use. I don't know enough about these to know what is a good buy and what isn't. I also don't know shit about electronics, so if anything's broken, there's zero chance of my fixing it without a whole bunch of luck. Plus, hooking it up without the manual or appropriate cables would be difficult for me.

That's why I was planning on buying from someone with customer servcie.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I don't post in this section often but I'll offer my two cents: I had a Pioneer AVIC F900BT in my car. On one hand it's fairly easy to hack and there's all kinds of support for it on avic411.com. On the other hand it was fussy at times and Pioneer isn't exactly known for it's great customer service. That said when it worked (which was 98% of the time) I loved it. Especially with the hacks I did to it.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
jetjock;1458674 said:
I don't post in this section often but I'll offer my two cents: I had a Pioneer AVIC F900BT in my car. On one hand it's fairly easy to hack and there's all kinds of support for it on avic411.com. On the other hand it was fussy at times and Pioneer isn't exactly known for it's great customer service. That said when it worked (which was 98% of the time) I loved it. Especially with the hacks I did to it.

Thats not what I want to hear! Tell me it sucks, convince me I don't need it!! haha. I've been on avic411.com and i'm pretty sure if I had one I would make it work for me as well with the hacks/mods. I would probably get the X710bt though. Still waiting on the 6.5" Speaker pods though. Thanks for the post. Do you have any pics installed in your car.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
Ahhh you dont need no steenking head unit!
Just use an iPod/iPod head phone jack and go directly into your pre-amp and use your Zune as the head unit!
I rarely listen to cd's and the FM band anymore and just use my iPhone as the media device.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Bigbutt: Iirc the 710 is the same but lacks DVD. Both run Windows CE which can be corrupted if power is interrupted during boot up, which is longish even when working. I recommend putting a separate power switch in the car for that reason and not turning the thing on until after the engine is running. Be very careful hacking the unit and always back the files up first.

Install wasn't difficult. For sources I had Ipod, SD, USB and HD radio. Also had a cheap converter box for TV. Bluetooth worked fine and NAV accuracy was good. I had the GPS antenna mounted on top of the heating duct up behind the CC control and never had a reception problem. Microphone was on the steering column cover. Iirc the 710 doesn't have a speed sensor input for the TCCS but I haven't heard of any NAV issues running without it. If you've been on avic411 you know these things are a crap shoot though. Most of the all-in-one units have quicks, even the more expensive Pioneers and Kenwoods. I'm biased though...I work with sophisticated NAV gear all the time. It costs a bit more however ;)

Get one that's been updated to the latest software and leave it stock until you know everything checks out. Keep in mind the more you screw with it the greater the chance you'll brick it. That said I liked my 900. Lots of bang for the buck even if the voice recog didn't always get things right and even though it would occasionally do something powerful queer and need resetting. The separate switch comes in handy for that. Sorry, no pix, but I thought it looked good in the car...

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
i dont think i would put any of those marginal headunits in any car. i have been using kenwood exclusively for many years, and have had no issues with any of them. when buying stereo equipment, you get what you pay for. there is a reason kenwood/alpine/clarion, ect cost what they do. why not just go down to wal-mart and grab one of the 200 dollar dvd players they have littering the shelves? at least then you will be able to exchange it every couple of months when the crap breaks down. i understand being on a budget, but that is no excuse for being cheap. you would be better off buying a used ebay unit from a good brand, than picking up the new discount crap.