Leecheater's rebuild, getting there

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Steve, thanks for driving up and making the diagnosis on the tensioner. I still have to figure out the exhaust issue. After she cooled down today I was able to get a wrench on the middle v-band and got her quite a bit tighter. I still like your idea to change the middle section and alter wastegate position. Going to run her by MG's Exhaust and talk to the owner.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Timing belt tensioner is from dynosaur performance, but it was missing the washer that goes behind the bellcrank. As such, the timing belt wasn't tight and it knocked around quite a bit. Once they got her squared away, BAM! noise was gone.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
During the time that the engine was at the machine shop, I found a slightly used billet tensioner. Once we got her home, before the engine was in the car, I asked Sean to install it. He complained quite a bit because the ATI pulley had to be removed to replace the old one. Somewhere in the install process, the washer that sits behind the tensioner was omitted. Steve drove up to check out the noise and with those finely trained Toyota ears made the diagnosis. Sean pulled it off and found the problem.

I just hope the exhaust leaks will be as easy to fix without removing the manifold. My plan is to give her a few more heat cycles and then loosen the v-bands and re-tighten them up. If I can really reduce it, might just try to drive her the way she is, pull her apart in the winter, although it might actually go quicker than I think. I am tired of down time!!

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
leecheater;1848409 said:
I have a fuelab. It's much smaller than the aeromotive. Not a lot quieter though. Easy t o mount. So far I am happy with it.

I've heard they tollerate E85 better then the A1000 what are your opinions? I'm going to E85 this winter and trying to decide if its worth getting rid of my A1000 for one.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
leecheater;1848409 said:
I have a fuelab. It's much smaller than the aeromotive. Not a lot quieter though. Easy t o mount. So far I am happy with it.

Yea. That pump in tank or the two DW's are winning in my mind.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
OOO, the big washer behind the tensioner bracket. Good job on getting that fixed. How much power you are looking to make Dan? If you are going to run E85, I hear there are motor oils that are not compatible with it so just check and make sure it is.

Let me make it clear that I am not trying to insult your intelligence but I was recently made aware of this by a user on SupraForums and I looked into it myself and it's true, some oils are not compatible. So I was just passing on some knowledge I learned.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I don't have specific power goals. How about this? As much as I can safely boost my set up? I have read that the Comp turbos don't produce as much as similar sized Precision turbo's do. Last year with shot engine and lower compression I was 560 or so, but she wouldn't boost over 24 lbs. This year I should be in 700 range, perhaps more. Should be able to boost around 32 lbs on Godzilla setting! Spool valve, 10:1 compression, billet 67, 4" downpipe, e-85 should be fun.
Yes, I am running e-85. I have read plenty about the different oils. AMSOIL Z-ROD™ Synthetic Motor Oil in 10-30 is probably my first choice. But have seriously thought of running Rotella. It's made specifically for high temp engines. Several of my friends are running it. For now, just taking it easy breaking her in.
Last night I changed the transmission mounting bracket. Sean made a solid one for his car and since I put it on have had had an unusual sound. Didn't have a chance to drive her once changed back to my OEM one.

Last edited:

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I have been working intermittently on the Supra over the past couple of days. I had a grounding issue that was predicted by Steve and diagnosed over the phone by Sean. I am happy to say she now starts like she is supposed to.
Yesterday I put on some miles. She was running rough at times. I suddenly had a high idle situation, where she wouldn't drop below 2300 rpm. Made the realization the gasket Sean had used on the Q45 throttle body was leaking. So today I pulled the TB off, yes, was leaking badly. Took a while to reassemble but once I did she really fired up nice and idles just fine now. I was so happy I drove her another 25 miles to continue breaking her in. I am now at 100 miles since initial drive.
Tomorrow I am changing oil again. I have a minor leak by power steering pump, plus need to check fuses as my brake lights don't work, plus hook up the oil temp gauge. Should be pretty simple. Also going to talk to a couple of guys I know that do exhaust work. I want the leaking in the down pipe fixed and revamped.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Sean had an extra one in our tool chest. I think it was left over from when he built his 7M. It had a Q45 TB also. Just a regular thin paper gasket.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I knew my addition of a car hauler trailer would come in handy. Tonight, I cruised in towards town to put some E85 in the Supra and to continue to break in motor and clutch. I was cruising along around 75 when I slowly lost power, the engine didn't die it just lost power. I wanted to at least get to the edge of town but she didn't make it. I pulled her over along side the road, when I stopped cussing, I realized the fuel pump wasn't working. I called my wife who came to pick me up and quickly drove home, fired up the diesel and hooked up the trailer. I had hoped it might have been a loose wire, but I couldn't fine one off. I was able to load the car onto the trailer by using a trick taught to me by Sean, using starter motor. I hauled her home, put her back in the garage on the hoist. No obvious wire off the pump. I pulled apart the fuel filter, it was a bit dirty but I don't think it was starved for fuel. I have seen it worse. Not sure what to think at this point. Gonna talk to Sean tomorrow as he was pump installer.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
We don't think that a slightly dirty fuel filter is the issue. I did pull it apart, ordered 2 new filters just to make sure I always have a clean one. Steve had told me earlier he thought I may have a grounding issue. This is likely the problem. I am going to check it out tonight. Too bad I have to work for a living, I might actually put more miles on her.
I also have to figure out why my brake and running lights don't work. My headlights and blinkers work.