Knocking sound at idle

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
GJ: I agree that doesn't sound like RodKnock!

It's like it's something rotational rodknock is usually only on the firing stroke so there are gaps in the noise,
that's all the time!

Last edited:

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Sounds to me something either rotating like something hitting the timing cover or maybe an injector, spark plug or valve clanking. Just my .02 cents from listening to the video. Maybe a loose bolt in the flywheel.

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
hmmm...changed my oil to 20/50...The noise is still there also tightened my hb for giggles. Still nothing. Can't figure this one out, cause i can't hear it under my hood, only in the car.

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
I think i f-n figured it out. I took my car into the shop today at my work. Sure enough he said it was my blower fan making the noise. I was like ok, didn't believe him. I got home a minute ago and started slowly turning the key to the off position, when i did that it go to the point where the rpms dropped dead to below zero as if the car was off. But, it wasn't. The car was on, but it turned off the blower inside the dash somewhere. No more noise. So just by chance of doing that i found my problem. Now, where the hell is that blower motor in the dash. Anybody?

Travisimo

I need a job
Apr 9, 2005
Sonoma, California
huntin, I have the exact same sound, but I get it very randomly. I drove around for 10 minutes hearing it, got back home and read here for 20 minutes. I go back to the car and its gone!

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
It is sooo annoying. Sometimes its worse than other times. It gets worse when revving the motor Too. But at a standstill it just gets annoying. It is like an echoed knock. Does anybody have any ideas about how to get to it. It sounds like its behind the guage cluster somewhere.

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
actually, it is not a fan...Now it has been narrowed down to some kind of pump that is making the noise. At least that is what my neighbor thinks anyways. God i hate that sound. But at least i fixed my boost problem. One of the two (roughly)2 inch hoses on the gold or copper pipe that runs right behind the 3000 pipe needed to be clamped. No more boost trailing off. Holds boost perfectly now.

Last edited: