Knocking sound at idle

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
i get that noise also, everything seems to be ok, but mine sounds like woody wood pecker as they use to describe it in the last forum. Its annoying, but i don't think its a rod knock.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
mine sounds exactly like a f250 turbo diesel. cept not as loud. its like i can hear the cams spinning like in the f250 thats best way i can describe mine

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
The sound could be anything. From an exhaust leak, to loud alternator bearings or a blown engine.

Buy a mechanics stethoscope for about 10 bucks, and track it down. The crystal ball of sound analysis, doesn't work too well over the internet.

TurboSupra7

Apr 9, 2005
Olathe, Kansas
Where exactly can I find the bolt to tighten the harmonic balancer? It seems pretty tight back behind the engine, doesn't look like I could fit anything back there. Thanks

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
Is this something that you hear when you inside the car with the windows up at idle but can't hear if your outside the car with the hood either up or down?

Have any fuel mods been done to the car?

Dan

Bigdough666

Picture Me Rollin
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX
Make sure everything is tight.

When I 1st started my car after my rebuild, everything was cool, then all of a sudden I got this SUPER LOUD NASTY KNOCK, and I was like WTF?? Took the front cam cover off, and turns out the cam gears werent tight, so they were hittin the cover.

Does it sound like popcorn? OR marbles in a can? If so, it could be detonation, which is also bad. Using 93 octane? Hope its not rod-knock, good luck with it.

TurboSupra7

Apr 9, 2005
Olathe, Kansas
well in my situation, as previously stated it sounds like a woodpecker peckin on an ol' oak tree or somethin. I can't hear it inside the car with the windows up only when the windows are down, and when I put stress on the engine (i.e. windows being rolled up or down, or putting my foot on the break) it becomes twice as loud. I assume this is due to the drop in RPMs under stress, for the most part I can't hear the sound at all until stress is put on. Sometimes however it will do it without any added stress, but as i said it gets much louder with the stress. I think i overused the word stress, hehe.
Still haven't had a chance to tighten up that HB as I dont have proper tools at my current residence, but do ya'll think it may be worth checking those cam gears? Thanks.