Just ordered a Nikon D90

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
You will love the camera...but as previously stated, invest in good glass and it will make the camera really perform. I upgraded my canon body to a Canon 1D MkII-N so I dont have to worry about a body for a while.

Research into glass that will suit your needs and you will be set. Happy Shooting!

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
p1279771_1.jpg

Something a little different.

And one more.

p1279771_2.jpg

Last edited:

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
BorHor;1278394 said:
The lens I have is Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom. Not sure the range of exposure. I still need to learn how to read specs and such.

Looks good so far. As you get used to the camera, figure out what type of shots you will primarily be taking and get a higher aperture, faster glass and you will get great bokeh and very sharp pictures. And most of all have fun shooting!

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
An external flash that swivels/tilts is a great investment so you can bounce the flash off of other objects.

Were you shooting in auto, or auto ISO at the drift event? It seems that the shots are a hair over-exposed as far as colors are concerned. I've had good luck with shooting in ISO 640-800ish while in the sun. It helps to capture more vivid colors for me at least. Of course, I've never, EVER had good luck with the auto settings on any of the nikons I shoot with, but who needs auto anyway?

BTW, I shoot with a d70s/d80 and I use the same lens. It's a quality piece for the price.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I just ordered a flash and it will be here soon. I also just bought a 18-70 3.5F lens last week. As for the setting I don't remember what I shot it at. But the color can be off because of me messing with the RAW setting on Photoshop CS4.

*edit* I have the 55-200 VR too..

For the drifting pics I was probably shooting on the Auto action mode for most of it.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
$850? Something around there. I bought it with other stuff so I don't really remember. Since I don't have much car stuff to buy any more I just buy camera gear now haha.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
Ahhh, gotcha. The colors don't seem off more than they just don't seem to "pop," for lack of a better term.

This is a bad example, but I'm going to use it anyway because I don't feel like going through my flickr acct to find a better one:

3440597834_968bc1e5fe_b.jpg

That's been sharpened, but that's about it.

Both my nikons and my pentax have the tendency to get blown out if shooting in less than ISO 400 in sunny conditions.

I'm looking into getting an 18-200vr, but my current project is modifying a yashica 50mm to fit a nikon. It gives a swirly effect in backgrounds that I absolutely love.

I didn't take this, but it's a great example:

2951474085_1ec9bb6083.jpg

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Ahh cool. I still have much to learn about the settings and what works for me. I was thinking of getting a 18-200 VR too but I figure I can use that money to get more basic gear first, which is what I did. Maybe later on I will get one.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
yeah, spend the money on other stuff first.

I'm sure you do, but I'm going to mention it anyway, are you using UV filters on all of your lenses?

...because you should.

It's cheap insurance against scratching the actual lens glass.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
alloyguitar;1308837 said:
yeah, spend the money on other stuff first.

I'm sure you do, but I'm going to mention it anyway, are you using UV filters on all of your lenses?

...because you should.

It's cheap insurance against scratching the actual lens glass.

Yup :)

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
Good!

The one thing I've found with camera gear, though, is to never underestimate what you can do with a crappy lens.

My first 50mm f1.8 came from a fujica that I found at a yardsale. I took the mounting ring off and would just hold it in front of the camera body and shoot like that.

It was ghetto as hell but one of the most fun things I've ever shot with since it forced you to get creative with your shots.

I tend to buy every lens/slr I find at a good price just to fool around with the lenses.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Just got my SB 400 flash today. Pretty neat for a small flash, good for shooting indoor shots in a house. I will get a full size flash in a month or so though.