Just ordered a new '92 Engine harness

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Well I have looked and looked for a used '91'92 Turbo 5-speed harness and well I never can find one, so I finally called the dealership they wanted 704.00 and comes to show that they can't even get it anymore because it has been discontinued. Well, I got a friend down in Texas that works at a dealership and he sourced one in japan I bough tit for 530.00 shipped to my house, and it's Brand new and it's for my car exactly, I even got the vin so they got the correct one, it's going to take 3-4 weeks to get here, but how many people even get new harnesses anyway? I will say it will be work it rather then using a a used one that is brittle.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
champion toyota is where i called... i just remember it being VERY reasonable for a whole new harness. and i was considering it... but i pulled mine all out and tore it apart and everything was fine, so i said screw that.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Everything on the exhaust side of my harness was so brittle it fell apart when I removed it... That's why I went with a new harness.

Idiot previous owner didn't put the front heatshield back on the manifold and it cooked the wires...

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
makes me gald i have my spare mint condition 90+ auto harness that came off my junkyard motor that has plugs for manaul or auto. even thought the one i'm running is in decent condition. i thought it was steep, but not that steep. dam.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
I wish i could get a new harness for my 88 Auto Turbo. I hope some company starts making new harnesses, like they do for older cars.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Man

if people can source the pins on the connector end, re-wiring the harness might be lucrative especially now. That or create a new one as long as the plugs can be Sourced (good luck on that!).

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
If any needs ANY plugs I have two harneses here a '91 turbo auto, and a 89-90 harness manual I'll send them cheapvany plug 3$ + shipping which can't be more then 4$ combined shipping is also what I can do, just let me know and to verify I will send you a pic just to make sure I know people always need newer plugs and people always need them.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
tlo86;1127344 said:
noone ever talk to dr tweak about fixing their harness? :D

I the thing is about Dr. Tweak is I thought he fixes harnessesnfor people or extends them. My problem was the plugs that connect into thebdash didn't line up correctly and.. If you changed the plug it needed new pin locations and the wires were not the same. So I am receiving ( the last, or 2nd to last 92 harness in the world ) Sobi was pretty pumped when I gave them my vin that they looked and not 1 couldnbe found in the united states, and now it was sourced from Japan. Anyhow I think getting a new harness is always a investment; which if you give it thought, the newest 'used' harness is going to me 18 years old in a few months and that is a '92 and most people get, '87-89 and then sometimes you get '90 and '91's. So if you can get a new one go for it

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
935 will fix your harness also... so in theory they could make you a whole new harness with all new wires and connectors. but your gonna pay for that.

a new OEM one is always a nice fresh start, and you KNOW its not gonna have 'mystery' splices all through it...

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Rennat;1127374 said:
935 will fix your harness also... so in theory they could make you a whole new harness with all new wires and connectors. but your gonna pay for that.

a new OEM one is always a nice fresh start, and you KNOW its not gonna have 'mystery' splices all through it...

I wonder what it would cost to have them do that? They would have to buy all new connectors and there techs there would have to know exactly what what plugs and wow I pulled one harness apart and wow Toyota sure plenty of splicing into everything, it's amazing the complexity of the harness for this car

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
92TealSupra;1127392 said:
I wonder what it would cost to have them do that? They would have to buy all new connectors and there techs there would have to know exactly what what plugs and wow I pulled one harness apart and wow Toyota sure plenty of splicing into everything, it's amazing the complexity of the harness for this car

You think the engine harness is "complex".

Just wait until the day that you try and decipher the in-cabin front electrical harness plus associated junction boxes and relay/fuse boxes. Add the outside electrical harness and it makes for documentation a must ;)

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
^word. i pulled out all the harness from my crashed car before i cut it up. the driver side front fender body one is a bitch. i could imagine how hard it would be with out the entire front of the car in pieces like mine was.

Dr Tweak

92TealSupra;1127370 said:
I the thing is about Dr. Tweak is I thought he fixes harnessesnfor people or extends them. My problem was the plugs that connect into thebdash didn't line up correctly and.. If you changed the plug it needed new pin locations and the wires were not the same.

Actually you have it the other way around, primarily I do wiring CONVERSIONS to make a harness from one engine fit into a different car. Secondarily, I also repair harnesses.

Extending them is usually part of doing a plug and play conversion to make the harness the correct length.

As far as building new harnesses from scratch, I've seriously considered getting into that. The problem when going to older harnesses (MK3) is that the plugs get increasingly more difficult to locate. In fact, it's unlikely that they are even made anymore.

-Doc

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Rennat;1127374 said:

I think to make everything is correct you would need a template, or spare harnress, but what about all the boxes and relay boxes that connect to it like wiper box, or security system box, ECT box. I think getting into the market of makng these harness would be very maketable. Finding the plugs would be invitingly hard.

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
It would be difficult to sourse plugs, however, you may be able to send all the plugs from a certain year to a plastic molding company and have them copied. Not sure how much this would cost though. Then you could make harnesses all day long.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The plugs aren't made by Toyota, they just use em...

Many of the plugs are used on many different cars from Toyota and even other auto makers. Just gotta find out who makes em and see if you can source parts from them...