JT2MA71's Build. Dyno video on post # 1191

2jzmk3

Ron i got dibs on the second Intake manifold! i want one that will fit without using a differnt brake booster or anything.

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
I had time to just mess a little with my own project today. Installed the 1JZ bellhousing onto my R154. Took a picture of the custom release system (clutch) and the new clutch and flywheel installed.

mockclutch.jpg

tiltonrelease.JPG

rot 90na-t

slowest project ever
Apr 13, 2006
Westminster, CO
Wow Ron, Everything looks amazing... Can't wait to see it in the car and running!!

Im pretty sure if you asked Jesus what he'd drive, he would say "Ron's Supra"

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
I'll admit to being the one here who has no idea what your "custom release system" is. Ron, can you explain that one a bit further? I'm seeing the hydraulic lines in the transmission but not sure if that's it or if I've just never seen the inside of the bellhousing on these things!

88turboma71

el3men2
Mar 30, 2005
nyc
looks great ron, as stated above by another member, it would be cool if you would explain a little more to us on how that tilton release works.

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
Well, the release system is what is called annular release bearing. The titanium color part is the slave cylinder. A piston (much like brake caliper piston) has a bearing pressed onto it. The bearing face should constantly ride on the clutch fingers when properly setup and hydraulic system bled. The tranny snout was modified to accomodate the stand off/spacer (also acts as the mount for the slave cylinder)
The line at the lower part is the inlet and the line at the top is just capped at the end and is used/opened when bleeding the system. Obviously, there is no slave cylinder outside the bellhousing and no fork of course. The feel is very positive and pedal pressure is very light if not lighter than stock but clutch is still rated/tested at over 1200 ft/lbs of torque. This is not anything innovative, some cars come with this type of release system from the factory. The only downside is having to drop the tranny if the cylinder leaks or breaks. HTH.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
It helps greatly! I don't feel quite so stupid now either. I figured it must've been some clutch actuator replacement and am pleased I wasn't too far off.

Very nice and clean by the way! As is the rest of your work!

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
ron, I saw that it is a quad plate, but how much additional pressure does that put on your thrust bearing?

I was just wondering where you got your clutch setup because I need to go with something pretty soon. Im doing a similar swap with a 2jz on a r154. I dont have a clutch yet and dont want to go with a single plate setup

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
p5150 said:
ron, I saw that it is a quad plate, but how much additional pressure does that put on your thrust bearing?

I was just wondering where you got your clutch setup because I need to go with something pretty soon. Im doing a similar swap with a 2jz on a r154. I dont have a clutch yet and dont want to go with a single plate setup.

I got the release system from Taylor Racing in TX. The clutch, you can get from any tilton dealer, I got mine from HPF. BTW, it's only a triple plate but consists of 7 total plates :)

N

NDBoost

that hydraulic release system is plain badass... thats all there is to it

agentAndy

xatracing.com
Oct 27, 2005
Sarasota
Ron, the release, was it sold with the spacing/mounting plate to fit the r154?
I checked the taylor racing site, it is not to orginized to say the least(i did not see one) so i did not stay too long.
what was the retail on that bearing?
i really want to get rid of the pull type clutch.
i believe os giken has a similar setup.

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
agentAndy said:
Ron, the release, was it sold with the spacing/mounting plate to fit the r154?
I checked the taylor racing site, it is not to orginized to say the least(i did not see one) so i did not stay too long.
what was the retail on that bearing?
i really want to get rid of the pull type clutch.
i believe os giken has a similar setup.

The bearing assembly is ~300 IIRC. The mount/spacer is a custom piece that they can make also. HTH.

Last edited:

Mello

Apr 13, 2005
CT
Holy cow Ron!

Dry sump and all...jesus, I don't even know what to say. Everything about the car is just insane! Now I have to come out of hiding and make checking this thread for updates a priority.

Congrats, nothing short of perfection.