Jeff's Supra vs Manhole (Manhole wins - pics inside)

SD2JZA70

HardTunedMotorsports
Apr 5, 2005
San Marcos, CA
www.cardomain.com
I had that same thing happen to me a couple years ago. I hit a manhole cover that ripped the 4 in v band clamp right off my exhaust and shot it right out the back. Scared the shit out of me when it happened.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
GOOD LUCK on getting ANY money, but I am rooting for you.

Off the record how much clearance to the lowest point, the downpipe I'm assuming.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
No, actually, the frame rails are the lowest points - here's a pic:

You can just barely see the downpipe now that it's ripped down - and obviously the muffler.

The manhole cover scrapped the front crossmember, and then ripped the exhaust.

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
MK3Brent;1280577 said:
Sorry, it just doesn't look like its extruding all that much. :dunno:

It's hard to tell, from the pictures. What makes it even better, though, is that there are NO streetlights out there, and the road isn't marked...at night, it's difficult to tell where the road stops and the grass begins, especially with the leaf buildup on the sides of the road from traffic.

And like I said before - there have been other problems like this. The city doesn't maintain their roads very well around here. We are constantly fighting with them to actually repave the road, instead of just "patching" it. The potholes alone out here could easily swallow a small child.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
MK3Brent;1280577 said:
Sorry, it just doesn't look like its extruding all that much. :dunno:

Ok you can go ahead and drive your car over it and let me hear that same sentence after you hit it. You in public works, p.o. or something? You seem to be mad I'm taking this to the city because their ignorance of poor streets has finally come back to bite them in the ass? This isn't the only bad part, the whole neighborhood is filled with filled in potholes, dips, obvious damage, yet no repave. Why would I just let this $800+ of damage come out of my hard earned pocket? (redneck voice: "I'ma hard werkin' AMERICAN dammit!")

Like Laura said guys I'm higher than her STOCK Ion. Eibachs are only a 1.6" drop and the exhaust is not low like others, as pictured it is above the frame rails. The reporting officer wanted to complain that a stock car would've had no trouble but I'd guarantee a stock Corvette would lose a bumper as well as taking away the underbody cover and it would make me tear to see part of LS3 bottom end get torn up on that manhole cover!

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
7Mboost;1280620 said:
Ok you can go ahead and drive your car over it and let me hear that same sentence after you hit it. You in public works, p.o. or something?

No I'm an engineer.
Like I said before, and I'm not arguing by the way... that the "hump" doesn't look that dramatic. As per my first post, I wondered how low the exhaust was hanging to get caught.

It's a shame, sure.

Let us know if the city/county/state pays for anything.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
MK3Brent, It may be hard to tell in the pic, but the manhole sits 4-6" above the ground.

There's a dip in the road right before it, as well.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Damn that sucks, but i bet that because your car has aftermarket suspension that's going to be used against you, i doubt the whole "well if a corvette..." thing will work. That didn't happen so unless you prove it...

What can you do though, sometimes you have to adapt yourself/your car to your environment.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
CyFi6;1280864 said:
Damn that sucks, but i bet that because your car has aftermarket suspension that's going to be used against you, i doubt the whole "well if a corvette..." thing will work. That didn't happen so unless you prove it...

What can you do though, sometimes you have to adapt yourself/your car to your environment.

If the City wants to buy the Ion a new exhaust, I'll go prove it, no problem ;)

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Doward;1280892 said:
If the City wants to buy the Ion a new exhaust, I'll go prove it, no problem ;)

I wouldn't try it. Then you'll have two cars sans exhaust, and you'll be out twice the money...Lets face it, its the goverment.