JE piston carnage! lots of pics

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
I agree with you 100% standalone would be nice but Supras are not my life they used to be a one point but that goes no where fast I want a good running supra with good power and watching egts would have caught this Joliroger obviously I was running to much booost! 22 psi when she let go. I will have to see what my options are elborate on the emanage there a very few supra owners running it.

Last edited:

abustiffy

Apr 13, 2005
in a house
egts arent jsut timing or fuel related. You can pop a motor before anything shows. Too little timing can cause EGTs to rise too, the cyl is cold but the burning fuel comming out the port isnt. You can go aem for much less than 3k. 2k tuned is possible. It may be a bit of an investment, but you add up the cost of your alpabet soup of stuff stuck to the stock ecu and the price of a toasted motor, it isnt that much is it?

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
yes im still weighing my options I was not blaming the JEs since the head also has damage others brought that up Ive never seen damage on ALL pistons Im facinated by the damage I made the post since Im sure others are also facinated by engine carnage Im sure it was self inflicted damage so standalone is not totally ruled out Ive had alot of fun on this engine! :)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Only one thing causes this kind of damage...detonation. Likely a result of excessive dynamic compression in the combustion chamber...your combustion temps went through the roof. There's not a piston made that can take that kind of abuse.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
jdub speaks truth - that was detonation, plain and simple. I'd wager with your lex afm + 680s, you pulled enough airflow signal out, that you were running too much timing -

Further, I'd wager it was *not* WOT runs that built up to this - but heavy boost under part throttle, where your timing is even further advanced than @ WOT.

Personally, I have no intentions of ever scaling the stock airflow signal more than 10%. If I exceed that, I need more air/fuel resolution, and a standalone is the only option for *reliable* power at that point.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
ViR2 said:
I've seen similar results with s14 JE's. Thats why wiseco is the best there is ;)

a friend of mine had wisecos in his 7mgte, 0.060 over. ran it for 5 years at 22psi on a to4b 60 trim and a 150hp wet shot fogger of n20. he eventually threw a rod at 28psi and the juice. stock rods, not race prepped. well, all the pistons were fine except the #3 that the skirts were destroyed from the rods. those pistons look like they were running lean as hell. white=lean, look at the exhaust valves. also, too rich of an afr will wash the cylinder walls down and end up with blowby. i have the 9:1 wiscos with moly coated skirts for my race buildup personally. if i were you id bore to 40 over and grab some wisecos.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
whenmunkysfly said:
I have heard/seen worse out of wiseco's. im taking a dime sized hole in the piston. I will never run wiseco's after seeing that. I just rebuilt with JE's i guess we will see how it goes.

ok, so some moron melted a hole in his piston by either having a faulty injector or a shitty tune and you think its a prob wit hhe piston mfg? nice. any forged piston will die if the engine isnt tuned right. ive got some busted ross pistons from a built 5m that was BUILT!! carrilo rods, ross custom pistons, p&p head, custom cams, standalone etc... guy went lean and busted the ringlands on all but 1 piston. does that mean ross is junk? no. but i have heard way too many horror stories about je and have never liked them. wiseco has been around forever and ive never heard of anyone that has had problems with them. in fact one guy detonated on his blown bbc bad enough to BEND his forged h beam rods and the pistons came out perfect. didnt even have a problem wit hthe wrist pin fitment. he reused the pistons in the rebuild and got back to racing the next weekend on a new set of rods.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
williamb82 said:
ok, so some moron melted a hole in his piston by either having a faulty injector or a shitty tune and you think its a prob wit hhe piston mfg?

Why admit a mistake when you can just blame it on je, wiseco, toyota, or whoever?

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
here is a good pic of a piston
p486663_1.jpg

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Sorry, it wasn't, but like people have suggested the problem is not the pistons. Something went wrong in the engine management/fuel supply realm.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
I can try my better camera, if I can find where I put those pistons. I blew one so bad one time, that it almost turned upside down in the hole while still attached to the rod.