Jake's mkIII V8 killer

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
funky_monkey58;1229724 said:
Welcome. You really have some bad supra luck.

I am in St.Cloud. I think you might need a bit more to take down some real v8s (ie aim high and take out some vettes!)

So you all havent let me get to the next part of my story... BHG. that was the summer that i got it. so 2 years ago. I had that fixed, not the way i wanted to. My dad was giving me crap... dont fix it til it is broken. So last summer maxing out my ct-27 i got a bit of a rod knock. Then icing on the cake was when i was racing another black mk3 down I-94 upwards of 120-125 mph. Get off the freeway having a major engine knock now no oil pressure anymore. My first thought was, ha i won. Next thought was now i get to fix my motor the right way

At that point my list of parts where

Maftpro w/ boost control
Aeromotive FPR
Dampener eliminator
Custom intercooler piping
AF/X wideband
Walbro 255

Just some basics.

Now my motor is at the machine shop. it is getting

Wiseco .020 over pistons
Eagle Rods
ARP Head studs
ARP Main studs
OBX underdrive crank
South bend Stage 5 clutch, kryo treated
All of these combined and balanced

That is just the bottom half. So i am on my way to being a V8 killer, and yes Vettes are on my list. I wont for get about the CTS-V either. Anyone can wax a 5.0 mustang or a transmarobird

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
scubajtw;1229749 said:
So you all havent let me get to the next part of my story... BHG. that was the summer that i got it. so 2 years ago. I had that fixed, not the way i wanted to. My dad was giving me crap... dont fix it til it is broken. So last summer maxing out my ct-27 i got a bit of a rod knock. Then icing on the cake was when i was racing another black mk3 down I-94 upwards of 120-125 mph. Get off the freeway having a major engine knock now no oil pressure anymore. My first thought was, ha i won. Next thought was now i get to fix my motor the right way

Maftpro w/ boost control
Aeromotive FPR
Dampener eliminator
AF/X wideband
Walbro 255

Just some basics.

Wiseco .020 over pistons
Eagle Rods
ARP Head studs
ARP Main studs
OBX underdrive crank

That is just the bottom half. So i am on my way to being a V8 killer, and yes Vettes are on my list. I wont for get about the CTS-V either. Anyone can wax a 5.0 mustang or a transmarobird

Sounds like you have a decent base for making a good amount of power. You shouldn't have any trouble whipping up on stock Corvettes, Vipers, Mustangs, F-Bodies etc. However I wouldn't underestimate anyone of those modded.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IJ.;1229848 said:
Lose the OBX paper weight.... :nono:

Or lose your motor. You decide.

Get an ATI Super Damper, or a good stock unit. (ATI would be a better bet)

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
scubajtw;1229749 said:

Maftpro w/ boost control
Aeromotive FPR
Dampener eliminator
AF/X wideband
Walbro 255

Just some basics.

Wiseco .020 over pistons
Eagle Rods
ARP Head studs
ARP Main studs
OBX underdrive crank

Takes a bit more to make great power.

As people have stated drop the underdrive.

A stock motor can handle alot with a good tune if it is in good condition.

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
shaeff;1229914 said:
Or lose your motor. You decide.

Get an ATI Super Damper, or a good stock unit. (ATI would be a better bet)

I know I really dont like the idea of that. my factory one is messed up along with my factory crank. so I got a different crank and now i would really like to find a factory balancer. they are 400 or so new is the problem if you have a line on a ATI or more info that would be great... havent heard much about them. thanks for the input:icon_bigg

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
R3N5LOW;1230134 said:
Set-up sounds beast!

Although, your interior makes me rather depressed.

Hahah

I KNOW! right,

the interior has changed a lot from the pics. infact there is not a whole lot in there right now seeing as I am-reworking a lot of it

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
scubajtw;1230245 said:
I know I really dont like the idea of that. my factory one is messed up along with my factory crank. so I got a different crank and now i would really like to find a factory balancer. they are 400 or so new is the problem if you have a line on a ATI or more info that would be great... havent heard much about them. thanks for the input:icon_bigg

$25 up here in st.cloud I have one lying there doing nothing off an 87 turbo.

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
Tearing down my motor. here is some pictures

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1231796_1.jpg

p1231796_2.jpg

p1231796_3.jpg

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
funky_monkey58;1232825 said:
So what are the next steps you are going to take?

Motor is at the machine shop. It is going to be .020 over. Fully balanced. Going to have my valves ground and re-shimmed. Going to use a MHG also. Step up the turbo to a Boss series not sure what trim yet. Thinking Stage 5 61 trim GTS cover, triple ceramic ball bearing. And some other fun hard parts. I am still unsure if I am going to run E85. That was my plan for a while just still thinking it through.

Once i get my bottom end and head back I am going to clean them up. Fire up the good old torpedo heater and get crackin' to put it all back in the car and have it running by the time the salt is off the roads.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
scubajtw;1233569 said:
Motor is at the machine shop. It is going to be .020 over. Fully balanced. Going to have my valves ground and re-shimmed. Going to use a MHG also. Step up the turbo to a Boss series not sure what trim yet. Thinking Stage 5 61 trim GTS cover, triple ceramic ball bearing. And some other fun hard parts. I am still unsure if I am going to run E85. That was my plan for a while just still thinking it through.

Once i get my bottom end and head back I am going to clean them up. Fire up the good old torpedo heater and get crackin' to put it all back in the car and have it running by the time the salt is off the roads.

Sounds like a plan make sure to make it to the MN supra meet this summer.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
SySt;1233638 said:
Sounds like yet another bummer for the MKIII crowd around her in MN. BTW thats where I am from. Give me more details, I have more to follow.

Yes, I can help in this perdicamante as I can others. Now why should I help these perfectly good engineers do what they do best? Fail?

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
SySt;1233640 said:
Yes, I can help in this perdicamante as I can others. Now why should I help these perfectly good engineers do what they do best? Fail?

I dont think that the really failed... it was all good until i boosted the crap out of it and basically blew it on purpose. Why fix it until it is broken. So I broke it now I have to fix it:biggrinbo

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
So I have been tearing some more down. Making a few additions to the interior, and having some fun in the freezing cold of Minnesota

sm_photo_missing.jpg

To start with it is cold in MN right now. That is after running the heater for a while!

p1237929_1.jpg

The life saver!

p1237929_2.jpg

p1237929_3.jpg

My buddies thought that they would be funny and write stuff on my car.

p1237929_4.jpg

TRASH... ARP studs here i come

p1237929_5.jpg

This is what happens if you use the wrong crank bolt... Also trash.

p1237929_6.jpg

p1237929_7.jpg

Plugged the EGR port from cylinder 6. Also running a block off plate.

p1237929_8.jpg

p1237929_9.jpg

My dual Walbro setup. Just modified the factory bracket.

More pictures are on the way.