Is German Castrol really going the way of the dinosaur?

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
CTsupra;1070895 said:
Walked in to Pep Boys to buy a pureone filter and guess what I found!
They are now carrying GC in my neck of the woods. Berlin turnpike Pep Boys for you CT folk.

Just saw a shit load of gc 0w30 european formula at autozone ...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Since Jdub is currently winging his way to China where he'll buy Hawaiian shirts (I didn't understand either) I'll offer up an answer. First keep in mind Castrol is a blender, not an oil company in the sense most people think. Mobil or Chevron they ain't. Put another way they don't have a single oil well to their name. They buy base oils and additives from other firms and mix the stuff up before selling it.

To answer your question GC is a Group IV oil which, by definition, mean the base stock is PAO. PAO is a "real" synthetic. Other US marketed Syntecs are Group III oils. Put simply that means they started life coming out of the ground. In the US they can legally be called synthetic but if you're one of those who believes synthetics (Group IV and V oils) should be 100% chemically engineered you might have a problem with that. Truth is 90% of the oils you see at the store these days labeled "synthetic" or "fully synthetic" are Group III.

Not that G-III oils are bad. Some approach and even exceed the performance of a Group IV. That said GC is a particularly well formulated G-IV.

edit: Lol, I love the shirt John. Thanks!

SupraMan1987

Mar 8, 2006
Hickory area, NC
Just thought I would share my results for some of the naysayers. With regular old run of the mill 5-30 I'd pull around 15-20 pounds of oil pressure at cold start idle, running up to around 39-40 above 2,500 RPM. Changed my oil and filter with the GC and a K&N today. Now I'm running right at 40 LBS at cold start idle, and 50-55 pounds at 2,500 RPM, peaking around 58-60 at high RPM.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
SupraMan1987;1093392 said:
Just thought I would share my results for some of the naysayers. With regular old run of the mill 5-30 I'd pull around 15-20 pounds of oil pressure at cold start idle, running up to around 39-40 above 2,500 RPM. Changed my oil and filter with the GC and a K&N today. Now I'm running right at 40 LBS at cold start idle, and 50-55 pounds at 2,500 RPM, peaking around 58-60 at high RPM.

Readings from the stock guage? My oil pressure at high RPM even at more then 105C oil temp is higher than that with GC.

Sounds like the GC is just thicker than whatever "run of the mill" is. Don't really understand the nay-sayers comment, or what oil pressure has to do with it but maybe that boat sailed on me.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Theres a bunch in my VatoZone here, it says European formula on the front and Made in Germany on the back, looks like the right stuff. Says M08 on the bottom, but its 6.79 a quart or something like that, almost 7 bucks, is that too much or is that the average?

Edit: Nevermind i see now that thats the average price. I will be checking walmart for this, maybe they have the large 5 quart jugs of it for a lesser price.

Last edited:

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
wally world is a no go on the gc. I thought the same, i can only find it a autozone and jdub where are you finding it on sale?!?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Last was at PepBoys...it's been on sale at AZ too, but it's been a while. Look for Castrol SynTec sales...GC is included ;)