Intake spacer scam!!!

joeytvr

Apr 3, 2007
Louisiana
Ok guys if i was to tell yall I have a 1/4" spacer to go between your upper and lower intake mad of aluminum that would give you 12HP and 15lbs of tq and change your power curve for $230 who would sighn up?

This company has sold over 200 to nissan customers. We put two cars on the dyno hundreds of miles from each other. One made 2hp and the other lost 2hp with no real tq difference. Within margin of era for a dyno i would say but far from 12hp.
heres the link enjoy and fill free to add your thoughts here or there.

who would have bought one and who would fill riped off?

http://www.myspecv.com/f/view_topic.php?id=157504&p=1

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Hondata has been making a spacer gasket for years for hondas. It goes between the head and IM(not between top and bottom IM sections) It does help keep the IM from getting so heat soaked but they have never claimed hp gains from it.
If people were really buying this expecting to get a lot more HP and TQ then they have problems.

EDIT: And those Nology wires have proved time and time again to be much WORSE than stock plug wires. My friend had a turbo integra and it kept breaking up in high rpm's. I told him to put some stock wires on it and they solved the problem.

joeytvr

Apr 3, 2007
Louisiana
yeah i am sure the honda gasket was not made of aluminum to stop heat.

and yeah i have seen guys pull coil on plugs off to add a plug wire?/ wtf

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i think jim wolf or another vq35 tuning company had a plenum spacer a little while back, seemed credible (like the ones ej8 was talking about)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
joeytvr;995469 said:
Ok guys if i was to tell yall I have a 1/4" spacer to go between your upper and lower intake mad of aluminum that would give you 12HP and 15lbs of tq and change your power curve for $230 who would sighn up?

No, I wouldn't buy one, because it won't add any horsepower. It will only make the manifold 1/4" longer. What is next, the tornado?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
the "heat barrier" gaskets make sense to me... excpet the one my friend bought for his 4g63 was HORRIBLE quality, i had to enlarge more than few holes for it to fit right. I wasnt happy when i went to bolt it on. and it was made by JMFab (which is suppose to be a "great" vendor)

And i dont see why a spacer would make you gain power... thats just being dumb. haha

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
It isn't a heat barrier, when it is made of the same thing it is seperating. A phenolic spacer would be different, but it still won't pick up 12 horsepower.

joeytvr

Apr 3, 2007
Louisiana
Nick M;995510 said:
No, I wouldn't buy one, because it won't add any horsepower. It will only make the manifold 1/4" longer. What is next, the tornado?

thats mfunny we actually dyno tested that one also a while back 11hp loss! big surprise....lol

I cannot understand how someone that thinks they actually have knowledge of how a engine works and makes power would expect this to help.

I told the guys that still say it works that i will sell them a 2" thick one that would make 50hp then.....lol

joeytvr

Apr 3, 2007
Louisiana
Clip;995507 said:
i think jim wolf or another vq35 tuning company had a plenum spacer a little while back, seemed credible (like the ones ej8 was talking about)

theres was pheonolic or however you spell it.... but still not a measurable amount like they claim

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
How could changing any gaskets give more power? Explain please.

By more, I mean a noticeable amount.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Phelonic spacers worked back in the day on Carb motors as it helps prevent boiling the fuel.

You could make the same power for longer not more power....

Thye're prone ot failure if you backfire the motor.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
aluminum would do nothing.

The idea of a a "phenolic" gasket is that it will insulate the intake manifold from the head. In theory, reducing intake air temperatures. Phenolic does not mean to insulate...Phenolic is a type of plastic, it's name is often used incorrectly.

I intend to make a gasket myself out of teflon. It has a high melting point, seals well, is easy to cut and has a higher specific heat capacity than even air. It should help. Check this out.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0401/article.html

Honda owners have been swearing by them. Also, this isn't a new thing...domestic hot rodders have been doing it forever.

aluminum is pointless...

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Increasing plenum volume does things to multiport too.... Can move the power around, and change the way boost hits. I'm not validating their claims at all.... I'm just saying, it could have some effect, although it could even be negative.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
gixxer750;995812 said:
Increasing plenum volume does things to multiport too.... Can move the power around, and change the way boost hits. I'm not validating their claims at all.... I'm just saying, it could have some effect, although it could even be negative.

I see the physics of increasing the runner length, and shifting the powerband, but if anything, making it longer is going to shift your powerband lower, giving you LESS peak hp.

I think that there are WAY to many variables on most consumer engines to warrant a 1/4" increase in runner length having much of an effect on power. If anything, evening out A/F mixtures would have more of an effect.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Nick M;995510 said:
What is next, the tornado?

I couldn't afford the name brand Tornado, so I ended up with the Dust Devil, and I can't really tell a huge horsepower gain..........:dunno:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
suprahero;996039 said:
I couldn't afford the name brand Tornado, so I ended up with the Dust Devil, and I can't really tell a huge horsepower gain..........:dunno:

Now you call the 1JZ a dust devil? :biglaugh: