Installed BIC DDP, hit fuel cut, need advice!

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
Hey everyone! I just installed a BIC divorced downpipe and a 3" test pipe on my car today and as luck would have it, I hit fuel cut *right* at the top of my gears. (it's and auto) I think due to that fact, I can assume I'm fairly close to not hitting fuel cut and I thought I'd get on here and ask the advice of someone a bit more experienced with Supras. What would you do to lower boost just enough to get under fuel cut? So far, about the only thing I can come up with is putting the stock catalytic converter back on...
Here's a list of mods for reference: 7M-GTE with MLS Headgasket + ARP studs, .57 trim CT26, Speed Source lower intercooler pipe, BIC DDP, 3" test pipe, HKS Sport exhaust, HKS SSQV, rebuilt auto trans w/shift kit

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
it doesn't look like you have anything to pull fuel, get a afc. you're probably running pig rich with that setup, once you get a/f correct you'll prob be good for at least 16 or so psi before fuel cut

Love that car BTW

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
7mgte1988;1408348 said:
Did u adjust that little screw at the bottom of your AFM thats almost closed??

Oh, no. I haven't touched that. How would I know if I open it too much? Do I risk running lean by toying with that screw? Will it affect my idle?

mdr40z;1408337 said:
it doesn't look like you have anything to pull fuel, get a afc. you're probably running pig rich with that setup, once you get a/f correct you'll prob be good for at least 16 or so psi before fuel cut
Love that car BTW

Can the AFC read my a/f ratio well enough on its own to tune it w/o a wideband? Is this something I could expect a reputable dyno tuner to be able to do? Thanks for the compliment!!

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
7mgte1988;1408389 said:
Ohh u want to stay under fuel cut?? If thats the case put the cats back on...

Wouldn't that be the safest route? I might be acting a bit cautious because I have no idea how to tune an AFC to run safely above normal fuel cut psi limits.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Reiketsukan;1408378 said:
Oh, no. I haven't touched that. How would I know if I open it too much? Do I risk running lean by toying with that screw? Will it affect my idle?

Can the AFC read my a/f ratio well enough on its own to tune it w/o a wideband? Is this something I could expect a reputable dyno tuner to be able to do? Thanks for the compliment!!

the SAFC cannot read the air fuel, you'll have to get a wideband a/f gauge to read that. the SAFC only fools the ECU into thinking there's more or less air goin in the engine than there actually is. you adjust it in percentages across the RPM range at certain points (8 for the safc, 16 for the safcII, not sure about the neo) its very easy to install with the help of some how to's on here and mkiiitech.com.
you should call your local dyno and ask if they'd be able to tune it, its VERY simple to tune, and with the help of a wideband, making small adjustments at a time on the SAFC you could do it yourself.

the MAFT PRO can however be linking in with a wideband (like the innovate lc-1) and will use the reading from the wideband along with an input set by user, to adjust the a/f as needed.
hope this helps. and good luck

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
kotu100;1408415 said:
the SAFC cannot read the air fuel, you'll have to get a wideband a/f gauge to read that. the SAFC only fools the ECU into thinking there's more or less air goin in the engine than there actually is. you adjust it in percentages across the RPM range at certain points (8 for the safc, 16 for the safcII, not sure about the neo) its very easy to install with the help of some how to's on here and mkiiitech.com.
you should call your local dyno and ask if they'd be able to tune it, its VERY simple to tune, and with the help of a wideband, making small adjustments at a time on the SAFC you could do it yourself.

the MAFT PRO can however be linking in with a wideband (like the innovate lc-1) and will use the reading from the wideband along with an input set by user, to adjust the a/f as needed.
hope this helps. and good luck

off topic but the safc2 has 12 points and the nea has 16

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
Reading more I see no injector upgrade.......
it's really not rocket science in the reasonable hp ranges but your next steps are 550 injectors and upgrade fuel pump before you start turning things up, then remove the j-tube and see what you've got. A lot of times that will get you your desired hp level. Without additional fuel upgrades you're taking your chances because the old 440's and fuel pump can hurt you in a minute, gotta pay to play but you still should safely get 12 or so psi out of it without fc

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
I've read a some "how-to's" and read many "Lex AFM & 550" help threads since I got my car in April to get a feel for what it entails and I might consider doing this upgrade next summer as it is the next step in modding my car, but when I set out to put on this DDP, I really just wanted to get a little faster spool and maybe 1 or 2 more psi w/o hitting fuel cut. I'll ask around my circle of Supra friends and see if any of them have an SAFC laying around then call up the shops around here with dynos and see how much experience they have tuning them. If my psi is *right* at fuel cut (12-ish psi), I'll tune it for that, but if its getting much higher, I'll just put the cat back in and see where it puts me. I'd rather be slower than compromise the health of my motor! At any rate, I know I'm better off with this DDP than the POS DP I took off that used the stock elbow! Thanks for your help so far, everyone!!

:burnout:

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
your hitting cut so soon because of that 57 trim. i would go with the lex afm and 550 route. you should get about 18 psi before cut again. safc would be cheaper though

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
rasmussenbc;1408491 said:
I was just curious to see how much you like your BIC ddp. I just bought one yesterday, should be here in a week or so

I freaking love it... It's quiet until you get into boost then it sounds MEAN!! It's not horrifically loud, but there's no denying it's there! Also, there's a definite gain in spool time, boost psi, as well as throttle response. Worth every freakin' penny!!

Thanks again, everyone!

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Reiketsukan;1408506 said:
I freaking love it... It's quiet until you get into boost then it sounds MEAN!! It's not horrifically loud, but there's no denying it's there! Also, there's a definite gain in spool time, boost psi, as well as throttle response. Worth every freakin' penny!!

Thanks again, everyone!

Glad to see you got it on. Don't you have a evc? Turn it down until it is right under fuel cut until you can get the lex/550's. And doesn't Matt have a safc?

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
if your power goals arent that high right now, and you just want so get around fuel cut, id suggest an afc + tune. a local shop figures it shouldn't take more than an hour on the dyno to tune a supra on stock injectors. afc can be bought cheap, and a side benefit is if your car is tuned properly you will get better gas mileage.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
The problem is the 57 trim flows alot more air at 12 psi than the stock turbo does...... If you are right near the limit you should be able to adjust the screw at the bottom of the AFM enough to stop FC, it would be best to do this with a wideband hooked up, but it shouldnt be enough to do any damage as these cars run pig rich under boost. In my experience adjusting the screw all the way open (to allow more umetered air in) doesnt change the AFR's enough to do any harm, as the ECU will self adjust anything under boost by itself if it is too much or to little.
So start with that, but the next step is the Lex/ 550's to really get the most out of that turbo.

Glad you are enjoying your BIC DDP, we will very soon have a BIC "Stealth" 3" cat back available to compliment the DDP.

Post up some vids!!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Damnit you people!!! SAFC WILL NOT ALTER FUEL CUT!!!!!!!!

SAFC WILL NOT TUNE AT LOW THROTTLE/CLOSED LOOP....the stock ecu will over ride it!!!

The only way is to stop fuel cut is:
A. Lower boost
B. Lex afm/supporting mods
c. Standalone/supporting mods

All you tards saying too tune please stfu as he is running a stock ecu and injectors and fuel cut is caused by the AFM nothing else...his turbo is sucking too much air for the stock system settings! The safc will do Jack shit! Yeah ge may squeeze a touch more power but A/R's will not change fuel cut!

Damn you people for talking out your ass!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
becauseican;1408616 said:
The problem is the 57 trim flows alot more air at 12 psi than the stock turbo does...... If you are right near the limit you should be able to adjust the screw at the bottom of the AFM enough to stop FC, it would be best to do this with a wideband hooked up, but it shouldnt be enough to do any damage as these cars run pig rich under boost. In my experience adjusting the screw all the way open (to allow more umetered air in) doesnt change the AFR's enough to do any harm, as the ECU will self adjust anything under boost by itself if it is too much or to little.
So start with that, but the next step is the Lex/ 550's to really get the most out of that turbo.

Glad you are enjoying your BIC DDP, we will very soon have a BIC "Stealth" 3" cat back available to compliment the DDP.

Post up some vids!!

according to the tsrm this is not the whole truth...one is supposed to meter your o2 sensor to get it withing a parameter in which the ecu can correct....