Installed BIC DDP, hit fuel cut, need advice!

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
gaboonviper85;1408617 said:
Damnit you people!!! SAFC WILL NOT ALTER FUEL CUT!!!!!!!!

All you tards saying too tune please stfu as he is running a stock ecu and injectors and fuel cut is caused by the AFM nothing else...his turbo is sucking too much air for the stock system settings! The safc will do Jack shit! Yeah ge may squeeze a touch more power but A/R's will not change fuel cut!

Damn you people for talking out your ass!

Gaboon,

I know you are quite well versed in a lot of this stuff but I think your thoughts on this are incorrect.

If the car IS running rich (around 10.5:1) he will be able to use the SAFC to intercept the AFM signal under open loop (boost), and lower the amount of fuel at a particular points in the rev range. By doing this you are in effect getting the same amount of air flow into the motor but tricking the ECU into thinking there is less air to get to a more optimal A/F ratio. This allows him to raise the boost/actual airflow level of fuel cut since the ECU's preset value to FC at is not being seen at the same point with the SAFC's fuel reduction.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
supradjza80;1409398 said:
well I will tell you, since you are running just wastegate boost, and not using your controller that the proper fix is to enlarge the wastegate hole on the turbo so that the wastegate can evacuate more air around the turbo.

I run the DDP as well and my car fuel cut in every gear but first. Took the turbo off and enlarged the wastegate hole from 23mm to 29-30mm (max for the stock flapper) and the car still fuel cuts at WOT in 5th gear at around 13 psi with the stock turbo (this is on wastegate boost, AVC-R turned off). The DDP's just make the wastegate way to small to properly regulate boost. I would like to get a bigger flapper and make the waste gate 40mm so it can easily control boost correctly. But it will be a while before I do this.

The thing that is wierd about it in 1st-3rd gear my ported wastegate is fine and can keep my preset boost level without issue, but in 4th and 5th above 4k rpms it just slowly creeps with RPM's and finally FC's in 5th. This is due to the higher engine loading but kinda odd still.

Hey have you tried removing your avc-r and running the waste gate straight to the vac off the turbo? I noticed with a couple cars i've worked on before that even putting a boost controller on and turning it all the way down will still cause the boost to raise. My theory is that since the vac lines are longer it takes a split second for the vacuum to catch up to the waste gate and by that time since your so close to fuel cut anyways it just barely bumps into it. I guess correctly me if i'm completely wrong but thats what i've seen.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
NewGen;1409706 said:
correctly me if i'm completely wrong but thats what i've seen.

Well... You're completely wrong... Sorry man...
On the brighter side of things, I heard about a white MKIII with a 2jz-gte swap just sitting in some garage not far from my place... The owner's brother said he'd sell it to me cheap, so I think I'll just go get that and toss it in over the weekend! Problem solved!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
supradjza80;1409403 said:
Gaboon,

I know you are quite well versed in a lot of this stuff but I think your thoughts on this are incorrect.

If the car IS running rich (around 10.5:1) he will be able to use the SAFC to intercept the AFM signal under open loop (boost), and lower the amount of fuel at a particular points in the rev range. By doing this you are in effect getting the same amount of air flow into the motor but tricking the ECU into thinking there is less air to get to a more optimal A/F ratio. This allows him to raise the boost/actual airflow level of fuel cut since the ECU's preset value to FC at is not being seen at the same point with the SAFC's fuel reduction.

Going from 10.5 and tuning too 11's isn't going to change anything significant....he will still fuel cut! He is running a 57 trim on a stock afm...get your head out your ass! He will fuel cut again and again and again....and again! 10.5 is rich but not by much infact that's almost perfect to keep the motor safe from detionation! Do us a favor and stfu and grow some common sense! Safc WILL NOT CHANGE A DAMN THING....infact with a tune he will probably fuelcut sooner as his turbo will spool faster.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
supradjza80;1409403 said:
Gaboon,

That's what I was thinking, but....

gaboonviper85;1410027 said:
Going from 10.5 and tuning too 11's isn't going to change anything significant....he will still fuel cut! He is running a 57 trim on a stock afm...get your head out your ass! He will fuel cut again and again and again....and again! 10.5 is rich but not by much in fact that's almost perfect to keep the motor safe from detonation! Do us a favor and stfu and grow some common sense! Safc WILL NOT CHANGE A DAMN THING....in fact with a tune he will probably fuel cut sooner as his turbo will spool faster.

Mr. Furious has a different Idea! So angry!! :icon_evil

I'm going to try what Newgen said because it's a simple, easy thing to try, then if that doesn't work, I'm going to put the stock cat back on untill I get 550's and MAF Pro or a Lex afm.

Any input is still welcome, and thanks for your help, everyone!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Mr. Furious has a different Idea! So angry!!

I'm trying to help "you" get solid advice for the questions you asked...I am not angry, I'm frustrated with the dumptruck full of stupid in this thread! Look at the time inwhich these people have been on this forum and the advice they are giving you! Either way it's obvious you don't appreciate my time so I'll be sure to overlook anymore threads by you!

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
NewGen;1409706 said:
Hey have you tried removing your avc-r and running the waste gate straight to the vac off the turbo? I noticed with a couple cars i've worked on before that even putting a boost controller on and turning it all the way down will still cause the boost to raise. My theory is that since the vac lines are longer it takes a split second for the vacuum to catch up to the waste gate and by that time since your so close to fuel cut anyways it just barely bumps into it. I guess correctly me if i'm completely wrong but thats what i've seen.

I installed the boost controller after the DDP and ported wastegate and yes, it has overboosted the entire time. Keep in mind it is not spiking, it is creeping up on my car.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Going from 10.5 and tuning too 11's isn't going to change anything significant....he will still fuel cut! He is running a 57 trim on a stock afm...get your head out your ass! He will fuel cut again and again and again....and again! 10.5 is rich but not by much infact that's almost perfect to keep the motor safe from detionation! Do us a favor and stfu and grow some common sense! Safc WILL NOT CHANGE A DAMN THING....infact with a tune he will probably fuelcut sooner as his turbo will spool faster.

Mr Viper,

I would personally want to have a solid 11.5 afr under boost. And as far as I know, from his very own description, he is very close be fuel cut free, so a tune which adjusts the AFM signal at his current boost level could make the car no longer fuel cut @ the same boost level. How fast the turbo spools is un-important since fuel cut is due to actual air flow, so unless it is going to make way more boost suddenly the actual airflow at the top of the rev range will not be changing (there are no other variables if nothing else changes on the car-intake/exhaust wise) but the ECU will think there is less airflow.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
gaboonviper85;1410087 said:
Look at the time in which these people have been on this forum and the advice they are giving you!

Funny you mention that, because Newgen, supradjza, MacDaddy J 420, SupraStardom, Koenigturbo, tsuper92, supramike7m, and Guyana00, have been members of this board longer than you, and they not only have a better sense of humor, but know how to share knowledge without belittling those they're trying to teach. In addition, becauseican and Enraged not only have about 3 years on you, but they also disagree with you. I think I'll take your advice here and look at how long "these people" have been here...

gaboonviper85;1410087 said:
Either way it's obvious you don't appreciate my time so I'll be sure to overlook anymore threads by you!

Wow.... Thin-skinned too! If you look back, I have been thanking you. I was only attempting to add a bit of levity to your otherwise angsty and blatantly disrespectful posts, but if you can't take what you dish out, maybe you should ignore my threads!

Good lord, there's one in every forum, I swear...

MacDaddy_J_420

I heart SM
Sep 5, 2007
Dalton, GA
Just like supradjza80 has said about porting the waste gate, I did that, and was disappointed when I got the turbo back on and it still had the mysterious "boost creep". After that I found out by the person who tuned my car that this is very common in the DSM world. It comes from the turbo having too larger of impeller on the turbo for the intake side of the turbo. I think why alot of people arent aware of this that are running 57trims is because they are running higher boost levels with them.

And tuning could possibly help like supradjza80 said, but just remember when using an safc you don't have control over timing, and when you are "leaning" the car you are also advancing timing.

Just take sometime and sit down and think of the route you would like to go. I have said to my self before that I wish I had went with a map ecu2, upgraded the fuel pump, and got a afpr. Then pushed the 440cc injections a little farther. Cost wise it would have probably almost been the same amount of money spent.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
MacDaddy_J_420;1410270 said:
I have said to my self before that I wish I had went with a map ecu2, upgraded the fuel pump, and got a afpr. Then pushed the 440cc injections a little farther. Cost wise it would have probably almost been the same amount of money spent.

Thanks, MacDaddy J 420! Can you elaborate on what a "map ecu2" is? I know just enough about tuning fuel and ignition maps to know that I have A LOT to learn, so I have a healthy fear of attempting to monkey with it myself. In all honesty, if I could cure my FC as it is now, it would probably be a long time before I'd feel the need to go faster again.

Newgen and I are going to try what he suggested today and if that fails, we're going to slap the stock cat back on while I decide which route I want to take and save the $$ to do so! I've got all winter to research and save!

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
reiketsukan;1410262 said:
funny you mention that, because newgen, supradjza, macdaddy j 420, suprastardom, koenigturbo, tsuper92, supramike7m, and guyana00, have been members of this board longer than you, and they not only have a better sense of humor, but know how to share knowledge without belittling those they're trying to teach. In addition, becauseican and enraged not only have about 3 years on you, but they also disagree with you. I think i'll take your advice here and look at how long "these people" have been here...

Wow.... Thin-skinned too! If you look back, i have been thanking you. I was only attempting to add a bit of levity to your otherwise angsty and blatantly disrespectful posts, but if you can't take what you dish out, maybe you should ignore my threads!

Good lord, there's one in every forum, i swear...

burn!!!!

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada

right or wrong, there is no need to act like an ass.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
MacDaddy_J_420;1410270 said:
Just like supradjza80 has said about porting the waste gate, I did that, and was disappointed when I got the turbo back on and it still had the mysterious "boost creep". After that I found out by the person who tuned my car that this is very common in the DSM world. It comes from the turbo having too larger of impeller on the turbo for the intake side of the turbo. I think why alot of people arent aware of this that are running 57trims is because they are running higher boost levels with them.

Porting my wastegate definitely made a huge improvement. Before the port I would FC in 2nd gear, the car now holds boost fine (8 psi to redline) until about the top of third, top of 4th and from 125 mph on in 5th but only FC's in 5th at around 130 mph and 13 lbs of boost. As I said I think the DDP is just so efficient that it needs a much larger wastegate than the other DP's and in my case probably could use being ported a few more mm (currently maxed out for the stock flapper). I really wish I could get a solid 6 psi in every gear again as base boost. I will probably take it off again and port it larger and get a large flapper this winter/spring. The other option is to go to a mega mouth style down pipe which is less efficient.

MacDaddy_J_420

I heart SM
Sep 5, 2007
Dalton, GA
supradjza80 - I ported mine some and didn't really see results, so I just tuned for higher boost. It would always hit and hold around 15psi.

Reiketsukan - The original map-ecu allowed you to get rid of the afm, go to a map set up, and tune fuel. The map-ecu2 allows you to also adjust ignition timing, control boost, launch control, etc. It has quite few more features. If you are just wanting to get rid of fuel cut right now the get a more restrictive exhaust and see how that does for you. But from the mods I see you having why not get a tuning device the map-ecu will be fine for you and tune the car to where you have 350+hp at the wheels. You can pick one up for around 300 and probably get it installed and tuned for all under 500.

Just my 2 cents

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
MacDaddy_J_420;1413099 said:
supradjza80 - I ported mine some and didn't really see results, so I just tuned for higher boost. It would always hit and hold around 15psi.

How much did you port it? I ported mine as big as the stock flapper allows 29mm and it made a huge difference. The car is much better now, I can handle it only FC at 130, but it does prevent the top speed runs :)

And about map ecu and map ecu 2 where do you pick them up, any vendor that you have used that you liked? Sounds like a very appealing solution to me.