I'm at a crossroads, what should i do?

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
ok, well i have had my supra for 2 years now and i have most of what i need to do my 2JZ swap. a few weeks ago i told my friend that if i could afford a MKIV i would prob get one. but since that is not likely to happen, that i would probably just get an SC300 and do a motor swap. he just got an SC400 so, the more i look at them, the more i keep wanting one. you can pick them up for a farely cheap price and they look soooooo good with some nice rims and a lip kit. plus, i already have everything needed to swap for the most part.

so here it is. if you could sell a slightly modded supra for the same price as a newer sc300, would you do it? plus my insurance would be cheaper which is a bonus. i need advice through these hard times lol.......

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
SMP142 said:
ok, well i have had my supra for 2 years now and i have most of what i need to do my 2JZ swap. a few weeks ago i told my friend that if i could afford a MKIV i would prob get one..

This is America. Just because you can't afford it, doesn't mean you can't have it. lol

:biglaugh::bigthumb:

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
lol. if i am going into debt on anything in the near future its going to be a house, not a car. i mean i would hate to see my soupie go, but honestly the SC is looking more and more inticing.

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
yeah but i would prob get ripped on for dropping a 1UZ into a supra. the GTE SC300 and a NA-T supra doesnt sound too bad...... i forget, but what kinda hp would you get from a 2j na-t with just a thicker HG and a small-ish turbo? i really wouldnt have much money wrapped up with the GE if i kept it simple.

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
well i know there is a guy putting one in a mkiii. but he is also twin turboing it i think? which is just crazy! you think it would be that hard to fab? also didnt they only come in an auto. they never came in a w58 right?

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
yeah this is true. fabing it in there would kinda suck. the 1UZ in my 82 pickup however would be bad! i would have no handling at all though lol.

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Brian;

You should just complete the 2JZ into your Supra swap...(IMHO!) Your Supra is very clean (IIRC?) and the 2J is an excellent motor. Then you can look for an already swapped SC300 w/ a 1JZ. I have actually seen several for sale in the recent past. There was a black one with 5Zigen FN rims on it not too terribly long ago, I believe it belongs to the owner of Drag, Drift Auto X (engine/half-cut importer) It was a really clean well done swap, and he wasn't looking for a ton of money either.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
I personally have a thing for the SC300/SC400 body style but I will give an honest opinion.

Since you already have a mk3 it will be cheaper no matter what you do, whether it be build the 7m, or drop a 1jzgte or 2jzgte into it. cheaper. Now if you dont care about cheaper and you Really want to persue the SC300 setup then you can go two ways. edit:: It will cost a lot more going SC400, so don't bother unless you stick with the 1uz.

But with the SC300 you have three options.

- 1jzgte full soarer swap. You either buy a clip or motorset with the soarer R154. You need the wiring harness + 5spd ecu and it will be plug and play inside, but you need to lengthen the wiring harness about 2' from RHD to LHD configuration. Mk3 R154 front driveshaft, lsd rear end out of a mk4 or soarer/SC300, and a few other tiny things.

- 2jzgte full swap. Pretty much every thing that is mentioned above, except the 2jzgte wiring harness and ecu will not be plug and play and you will have to have your stock wiring harness and 2jz wiring sent to someone like dr tweak to be matched together. This setup will cost you more money than any thing listed here.

- 1jzgte head or 2jzgte head on GE bottom end. If you go for the 2jzgte head, you will have to deal with the wiring issues mentioned above, so I will just tell you whats involved with swapping the 1jz head on. You will need to either go single right away, or use the stock twins that will blow soon because you will overspin them on a 3l setup. Need all of the intake setup from the 1jz, Mk4 TT oil pump with sensor, need to drill the block for an oil return and get the Mk4 TT union bolt (95+ I believe) that is tapped already for your oil feed. You could buy the boostwerx or boostlogic oil line setup if your going single that cover all these parts but its about $200. 1jzgte soarer wiring harness and ecu, you still need to extend the harness 2 feet, thicker head gasket to drop your compression to 8.5:1, upgrade to 440cc 1jzgte injectors, or 550cc 2jzgte injectors with the resistor. There will be 2 gauges that will not work on your instrument panel, I believe one is your tach and the other is water but dont quote me on that. To fix them you need to cut a wire and ground it to the chassis to fix the water temp, and the tach needs a resister soldered in. This is the setup I am going to do some day, I feel for street use with a correctly sized turbo the 1jzgte head mated to the 3l bottom end will provide excellent spool and streetability because of smaller ports in the 1j head, though it will choke out at around 600rwhp and need to be upgraded (cams, larger valves, port?).. Correct me if I said anything wrong.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
pimptrizkit said:
- 1jzgte head or 2jzgte head on GE bottom end. If you go for the 2jzgte head, you will have to deal with the wiring issues mentioned above, so I will just tell you whats involved with swapping the 1jz head on. You will need to either go single right away, or use the stock twins that will blow soon because you will overspin them on a 3l setup.

upgrade to 440cc 1jzgte injectors, or 550cc 2jzgte injectors with the resistor. Correct me if I said anything wrong.

What are you basing this on? The part about twins blowing because of being used on a 3L.

440cc injectors are 2JZ injectors, not 1JZ.

Everything else you posted looks ok.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
Ah.. arent JDM 1jz injectors 440cc's while USDM 2jz's 550's?

The twins blowing because of the upgraded 3l' was posted several times on NA-T forums and clublexus when I was researching it, I have no first hand knowledge of this but what they said was they were hitting full boost by 1800rpm and the additional .5litres would overspin the turbos at higher rpm.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
pimptrizkit said:
Ah.. arent JDM 1jz injectors 440cc's while USDM 2jz's 550's?

The twins blowing because of the upgraded 3l' was posted several times on NA-T forums and clublexus when I was researching it, I have no first hand knowledge of this but what they said was they were hitting full boost by 1800rpm and the additional .5litres would overspin the turbos at higher rpm.

I'd have to see real evidence about the turbos spooling fully at 1800. Sounds fishy.

1JZ injectors are 370s. 440s are JDM 2J injectors. US 2J injectors are 550s.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
SMP142 said:
well i know there is a guy putting one in a mkiii. but he is also twin turboing it i think? which is just crazy! you think it would be that hard to fab? also didnt they only come in an auto. they never came in a w58 right?

Yeah, you're thinking of cjsupra90 down in FL. I am swapping one into my MkIII this winter as well but sticking with an N/A setup with my R154 until I get everything sorted and running the way I want. Hoping to wrap up the swap by mid-April but we'll see. Already have the adapter plate here at the garage, the flywheel is being shipped any day now as well as several other parts. The only things really left to fab will be the motor mounts and exhaust. The fuel lines have to be lengthened and the ps steering and A/C lines may or may not have to be lengthened as well, just have to wait until I get it dropped in. Wiring should be fun :evil2:

Next winter's project (end of 2008) will be when I start looking into an MP90 or MP112 supercharger and various bits while it is down for the salt months.