Illegal Exhaust Ticket... Again.

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
I agree that they should have to prove that I broke the law, and I should have fought it harder. However, having told the judge that it's quieter than the stock exhaust (which IIRC it actually is at certain points depending on throttle and RPM), and showing him that paper that states that the exhaust never exceeds 95 dB, he honestly seemed apathetic.

I guess what it boils down to is that the state law in VA requires a car to be 100% factory equipment or factory equivalent. This exhaust in my mind is just that, and even according to Apexi is just that, but to the judge it's, if the police officer says it's not factory, then I'm taking his word over anyone that's not a mechanic.

I'm drafting up an email to Apexi to see what they have to say now.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Keep in mind, in Virginia they do not have to show you a Radar gun to prove anything if you are caught speeding, same with db's on exhaust. If it's not from the factory, it's illegal. I attempted to fight this with a speeding ticket and lost horribly the first time. They just want money and don't care if it was right or wrong.

Not to mention I have straight up heard a Judge tell someone - "If I can hear your car more than 3 feet away, it's too loud and illegal." But some cars are like that from the factory.... :: angry ::

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Which part of government by the people for the people have you folks forgotten?

"If worthless men are sometimes at the head of affairs, it is, I believe, because worthless men are at the tail and middle." - John Adams

In other words, you Virginians need to vote the people out of office who would dare tell you that they need prove nothing. Are you "subjects" or "citizens"?

You sound like you're living a subjects.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
ret;1587020 said:
I agree that they should have to prove that I broke the law, and I should have fought it harder. However, having told the judge that it's quieter than the stock exhaust (which IIRC it actually is at certain points depending on throttle and RPM), and showing him that paper that states that the exhaust never exceeds 95 dB, he honestly seemed apathetic.

I guess what it boils down to is that the state law in VA requires a car to be 100% factory equipment or factory equivalent. This exhaust in my mind is just that, and even according to Apexi is just that, but to the judge it's, if the police officer says it's not factory, then I'm taking his word over anyone that's not a mechanic.

I'm drafting up an email to Apexi to see what they have to say now.

Make this a little more public locally, too. Maybe enough people will also report their experiences with the law there that everyone could agree on voting all the useless people out like Supracentral said.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Supracentral;1587059 said:
Which part of government by the people for the people have you folks forgotten?

"If worthless men are sometimes at the head of affairs, it is, I believe, because worthless men are at the tail and middle." - John Adams

In other words, you Virginians need to vote the people out of office who would dare tell you that they need prove nothing. Are you "subjects" or "citizens"?

You sound like you're living a subjects.

Too many people do not care and just go on with their lives to avoid the trouble. I feel so... helpless when I think about it, especially when those in such positions laugh and say 'We're a Commonwealth, not a state. We do not apply." Or so the mindset here goes with our local politics and laws.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

A. Jay;1587117 said:
Make this a little more public locally, too. Maybe enough people will also report their experiences with the law there that everyone could agree on voting all the useless people out like Supracentral said.

The news could care less. The media would rather focus on rich and famous people having affairs, abusing drugs, and equally foolish and irrelevant stories than actually focus on the problems with our government, both local and otherwise, that need to be resolved before we as a country can recover in any amount or capacity.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nghty89;1587055 said:
Keep in mind, in Virginia they do not have to show you a Radar gun to prove anything if you are caught speeding, same with db's on exhaust. If it's not from the factory, it's illegal. I attempted to fight this with a speeding ticket and lost horribly the first time. They just want money and don't care if it was right or wrong.

Not to mention I have straight up heard a Judge tell someone - "If I can hear your car more than 3 feet away, it's too loud and illegal." But some cars are like that from the factory.... :: angry ::

Sounds like it's time to vote with your tax dollars... I for one would NOT move east of the Mississippi, it's so much better out west, for the most part. And for what it's worth, I can hear my neighbor's Buick start up from across the street, and he's like 700 years old, it's not a loud car. I daresay that there isn't an internal combustion engine that you CAN'T hear from that distance...