Illegal Exhaust Ticket... Again.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Poodles;1558003 said:
Not all of Texas is that cool guys... Not to mention the heat and boring landscape for the most part.

I lived (crashed on a friends couch for a couple of months in my 20's actually) in Plano. Texas doesn't completely suck...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I wouldn't say it "sucks" just that it's boring and the summer is absolute hell... The DFW area is pretty flat and boring IMHO, Austin isn't bad though, but it seems to be the exception. Drive an hour in any direction from DFW and there's NOTHING.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Summers don't bother me. If they did, I wouldn't be considering shipping the supra/mr2 over to live with the grandparents in Puerto Rico. XD

But that goes for any place, not all of everything is great. Minus Supras and MR2s... <.< >.> <.< .... minus 7m's.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
110F with no wind and the sun beating you to death... Yeah, I didn't mind summers either when I lived in Florida, but it's a blast furnace here...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
DreamerTheresa;1557951 said:
Just finding more and more reasons to love that state...

Can't wait to visit in June.
If you guys are gonna make it to the Rock Springs area, lemme know. If it's on a weekend, there's a pretty good chance I'd buy you guys dinner or something. If it didn't snow here, I wouldn't mind the place nearly as much, that's my biggest gripe really...

Poodles;1558081 said:
110F with no wind and the sun beating you to death... Yeah, I didn't mind summers either when I lived in Florida, but it's a blast furnace here...
You ever go to Arizona man? Try ~120F with no wind, 18 hours of sunshine (seems like anyway), and nearly everything is paved, at least in Phoenix. Should visit there in July or August, just for the experience. *Wolfgang Krauser from the Simpsons voice* THE A/C DOES NOTHING!

Volvospy

Sep 9, 2009
Northern VA
I've been reading the whole thread, and I think I should add this info. I had a ticket for loud exhaust with my VA dealer tag a month ago. I said this car is for sale, but the officer said under VA law I still have to make my car legal on the street. Well, I ended up paying for the damn ticket because I think it was just my unlucky day. And today, I got a female cop pulled me over again and for the same reason. She said if I don't fix it, my driver license can be suspended, is this true? This is all horseshit. I remember I used to have a WV dealer tag and never got harrassed like that. I think probably if I can have a dealer tag from a state that is different than VA, I'll be good. But now that in my record, there are bunch of tickets for loud exhaust, I don't think they're gonna leave me alone even with out of state dealer tag. Anyway, anyone in DC VA MD has a black Supra with stock exhaust? I need a picture of your car with my VA dealer tag on it, please help me if you can. Thank you!
PS: I never got pulled over with my Volvo even with only one personal tag in the rear. Cops are stereotypying people no matter what!

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Funny thing is, it wasn't a LOUD exhaust ticket. He didn't seem to mind the sound, more the fact that it doesn't LOOK stock. I go to court for it on Thursday. I have a stock-ish muffler I am using as the replacement, even though she is currently my weekend driver.

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
So I went to court for this ticket this morning, and here's the results I got.

$91 fee - $30 fine for the illegal exhaust, $51 court fee, $10 processing fee.
I went into the courtroom, waited for days, finally got called to the stand and plead not guilty. I handed the judge a print off of from Apexi's website (what I quoted in the OP), and told the judge that my exhaust is actually quieter at WOP than a factory exhaust, pointed out that the page said functionally identical and direct replacement, it didn't seem to phase him at all. He pretty much told me he didn't care, by saying that the website will say whatever it can to make a sale. He then turned to the officer to ask him how loud it was, to which he replied something along the lines of, "Well it must have been pretty loud for me to have pulled him over." (Though I was in 5th gear going 45 mph down hill, so what, around 1800 RPMs 0 throttle? AKA REALLY LOUD!)

Meanwhile, while I was waiting someone got off with driving with a suspended license in a car that had failed inspection, someone got their sentence reduced from 80 in a 55 so that it wasn't reckless, and the charges dropped for underage possession of alcohol while driving, yet I do absolutely nothing wrong but have a shiny exhaust and the judge brings down the hammer? I'm not a fan of crying about things being unfair, but this seems a bit too ridiculous to me.

Someone elect me President. I'm going to fix this country.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
te72;1558837 said:
If you guys are gonna make it to the Rock Springs area, lemme know. If it's on a weekend, there's a pretty good chance I'd buy you guys dinner or something. If it didn't snow here, I wouldn't mind the place nearly as much, that's my biggest gripe really...

You ever go to Arizona man? Try ~120F with no wind, 18 hours of sunshine (seems like anyway), and nearly everything is paved, at least in Phoenix. Should visit there in July or August, just for the experience. *Wolfgang Krauser from the Simpsons voice* THE A/C DOES NOTHING!

Where my mom and oldest brother used to live in Arizona it would get down to 65F...at night...in the winter. Like Walter (character by Jeff Dunham) once said: "'But it's a dry heat!' A fire is a dry heat, you don't see me sitting my ass in one."

ret;1586658 said:
(...)

(http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...rn-North-Carolina-s-Emergency-Powers-Gun-Bans):

Supracentral;1586339 said:
(...)
Negative - the president is easily overpowered by Congress. We need to replace not only him, but a vast majority of the 100 Senators and 435 Representatives if you want to get anything meaningful done
(...)

You're gonna need some friends elected, too. Yea, it sucks, looks like they're out to get you or something.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Typical VA. I just paid it, didn't change the exhaust, and didn't go to court. Haven't been bothered since with it even when I take it out running on the weekends...

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
gennro;1586669 said:
Sounds like typical Virginia

Nghty89;1586700 said:
Typical VA.
Unfortunate though it is. I'm ready to move back to PA and become Amish again.
Nghty89;1586700 said:
I just paid it, didn't change the exhaust, and didn't go to court. Haven't been bothered since with it even when I take it out running on the weekends...
I'll be doing this I suppose once I get my car fixed. The Supra hasn't actually seen much road time since then, too busy with work to just replace the fuel pump. :runaway:
A. Jay;1586674 said:
Where my mom and oldest brother used to live in Arizona it would get down to 65F...at night...in the winter. Like Walter (character by Jeff Dunham) once said: "'But it's a dry heat!' A fire is a dry heat, you don't see me sitting my ass in one."
I like the reference. I don't mind the heat, I do mind the humidity. I'll still take like 60-70 degree weather or colder though.
A. Jay;1586674 said:
(http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...rn-North-Carolina-s-Emergency-Powers-Gun-Bans):

You're gonna need some friends elected, too. Yea, it sucks, looks like they're out to get you or something.
Seriously, it's ridiculous. I bet they're just scared of my potential, and want to impede me from doing incredible things they can't even fathom.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
ret;1586715 said:
(...)
Seriously, it's ridiculous. I bet they're just scared of my potential, and want to impede me from doing incredible things they can't even fathom.

I have a similar thought in my head at all times, along with "one day...they'll see..."

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
ret;1586658 said:
So I went to court for this ticket this morning, and here's the results I got.

$91 fee - $30 fine for the illegal exhaust, $51 court fee, $10 processing fee.
I went into the courtroom, waited for days, finally got called to the stand and plead not guilty. I handed the judge a print off of from Apexi's website (what I quoted in the OP), and told the judge that my exhaust is actually quieter at WOP than a factory exhaust, pointed out that the page said functionally identical and direct replacement, it didn't seem to phase him at all. He pretty much told me he didn't care, by saying that the website will say whatever it can to make a sale. He then turned to the officer to ask him how loud it was, to which he replied something along the lines of, "Well it must have been pretty loud for me to have pulled him over." (Though I was in 5th gear going 45 mph down hill, so what, around 1800 RPMs 0 throttle? AKA REALLY LOUD!)

Meanwhile, while I was waiting someone got off with driving with a suspended license in a car that had failed inspection, someone got their sentence reduced from 80 in a 55 so that it wasn't reckless, and the charges dropped for underage possession of alcohol while driving, yet I do absolutely nothing wrong but have a shiny exhaust and the judge brings down the hammer? I'm not a fan of crying about things being unfair, but this seems a bit too ridiculous to me.

RIGHT HERE... you should have fought this. Did he have any quantitative measurements of how loud your car was? I tell this to the people who tell me I have the music on too loud at work: Turn your hearing aid down then.

Seriously man, everybody's a little different, but the law isn't exactly grey, it's pretty black and white. They HAVE to prove you broke a law. Could an officer give you a ticket without proving that he paced you or got you with a radar? I mean, some cars *look* like they're going fast even when they're parked. Some cars sound loud to some people and not to others. Follow me so far?