I need to pick between Maftpro and standalone

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
i know this post is kinda out from the dead, but there is no sense starting a new thread for it. so in all reality the total cost diff between maft pro and standalone would be what? $800-$1000? if your planning on going speed density mode on the maft then you already need the wide band, intake temp, and gm sensors. those are the same needed for a standalone correct? the way i am thinking is if your already going the lengths to go speed density on maft then why not spend the extra money to have the maximum controling ability? anyone have total cost of either sysytem after they were installed? i was planning on maft pro myself after my rebuild. but i am leaning towards standalone for the fact of putting alota money in a motor, i want the full benifits. am i wrong?

Selz202

More than Regular Member
May 1, 2005
Black Diamond Wa
Also figure in the cost of a proffessional tuning it, we happen to have John Reed in our neck of the woods though... yayy for us.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I would consider Megasquirt II. It has everything you want. Just wire up the stock engine plugs for a clean install.

I'm going MSII in my 1jz-8T3 supra. It will be FTW with COP sequential fire, and it is JUST as easy to tune as any other standalone, for half the cost.

All you need are base maps from anyone using another standalone on a 7M, plug those number in, drive it to the dyno, and tune away.

It boggles me why no one doesn't try to make a PnP harness for the 7M to a Megasquirt. A 1JZ to a Megasquirt II would be so good. That would be so fuckin hawt. Just use the fields harness and bam, instant standalone for half of what AEM costs!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I was talking with my management guys about PlugNplay with a Wolf for the Mk3 and an interesting point was raised!

PlugNplay will use a standard Toyota connector (duh) but the interesting thing is you can't have any of the additional features of the Wire in ECU as there are no extra outputs/inputs available!

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
IJ. said:
but the interesting thing is you can't have any of the additional features of the Wire in ECU as there are no extra outputs/inputs available!

What additional features specifically can't be used?

Oh tell me you can't just add some in... a wire here or there that hangs off the main harness for the operator to install any aux. items or triggers.

It can't be THAT difficult :)

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Have you taken a look into a Megasquirt II board?

Because if your guys can make one for a MSII... it'd be an instant winner.

You'd sell 10 right off the bat.

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Cool :)

I might have a look around to see what other aftermarket knock sensing systems are available... surely one of them has an 'aux output' which I can use to hook into the Wolf without having to muck around with it.

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
the megasquirt system is basically a "DIY" standalone? is that what your saying? i know you have to run a whole new harness and everything right?

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Wolf V500 I think... I can't really see any advantages of the Autronic SM4 over the V500, except knock sensing...

Although the Autronic engineers are really responsive, had a few communications with them via email.. I sent the Wolf guys an email last week and didn't get a response. :(