I looked at 10 Supra's before I found THIS ONE ---> Build Up

CanadianLurch

Oct 14, 2008
Alberta
Good to hear, looks like a great build....my 7m supposably had a cracked block and ended up going 1jz. Pearl white FTW too (mine is same colour)!!

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
I can't believe how neglected my forum updates have gone, but I will sum up where I stand in the supra world.

I am now running and tuned at 15psi on a HKS Sport Turbo. Walbro 255, 560cc injectors, Lex, and AFPR. It's a total blast!

I will get some pics and vids up in the near future.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
It's actually been a while since I've viewed this build. As usual, everything looks great! Post some recent pics of the car why don't ya..

That HKS turbo looks just like a CT, just more beefy haha. What's the maximum PSI you can run on it?

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Updates are SO overdue here. I'll make a post to kickstart a habit of getting updates/pics/vids.

My poor little monster has been off the road for 3mo now with the transmission removed. I was driving the car very carefully one Saturday when it decided to start popping out of first gear. Second ground. Third did nothing (acted like neutral) and 4th/5th were ok. I got a rebuild kit from Aaron and did all the Marlin upgrade parts. It turns out that the failure was a bad thrust washer...which lead to some damage on first gear and the reverse gear. Huge bummer that it happened, but i'm psyched to have a Marlin monster that I can forget about now.

I am planning to install it tomorrow. I read some tips (specifically, putting clutch on input shaft first, mating engine/bell housing, then reaching through access windows in bell housing to tighten clutch to motor.) I'm dreading the install but hopefully it isn't horrible. I'm slightly scarred after dealing with a stripped starter bolt during removal.

As the car stands, I am rebuilt w/about 2500mi. HKS sport turbo, HKS sport 3" exhaust, Lex/550's/SAFCII/AFPR/wideband w/street tune, HKS EVC I @ 18psi...etc

The car is SO much fun. I suspect 350 at the wheels. The tune could be better and will be soon.

The sad part: I am still fighting an oil burning problem. Two summers ago I rebuilt the motor and rebuilt the HKS sport turbo. I noticed the car was burning oil at first and I accepted it...but it wasn't anything break-in related because it still persists. I really only rebuilt (pistons, rings, all bearings and seals) because I had to take the block out to plane it for the MHG and figured while in there I may as well. At 95k miles, the cylinders still had a crosshatch and looked great. So, I just did a stock piston replacement with a 400 grit drill hone before install. I couldn't understand why it was burning oil and first believed it to be a bad turbo drain (had a loop). I fixed this and still had the problem. I sent the turbo back for a second rebuild with <1000mi (reliable builder) and was told there was a bad thrust bearing...sweet. So, I re-installed and still burning oil. The motor runs great/smooth/quiet and compression is 146psi/cyl. It doesn't smoke on start-up (valve stem seals are brand new). I cannot figure it out! Very frustrating...

And since you're curious, it's about 3/4 qt per tank of gas. So we're talking about a LOT of oil.

My two suspicions:
-The turbo has an issue and being uncommon the builder is missing something (bad piston ring seal? worn groove?).
-Unhappy oil scraping rings. Maybe one isn't sitting right? I hear tapered cylinders can cause this but I can't imagine a taper so strong that it would still have good compression.

Suggestions are appreciated. The car is an oil-burning-problem away from being near flawless in every way.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
You could switch your hks with a known good ct26 just to rule your turbo out. If it were your rings your PCV system would probably be flooded with oil.

Last edited:

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
While it was apart, I would have, in your position, done a slight overbore to bring the cylinders back to 100% straight and used new forged pistons. 146psi sounds a bit low, my 120k mile 7m-gte with clean piston domes and head cc (had engine apart and cleaned it) runs between 157-162 across the board. Sounds like your rings are leaking and sucking in oil.

either that, or you have a huge external leak somewhere

Off of that topic though, how did you wire in your Prosport gauge a few years ago, meaning what wires behind the dash did you use for power, switched power (illuminations)?

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Block did go to machine shop. I just had them deck it. Took the clean bore as a sign the were straight. Leading to the response of the next question...I didn't overbore and really regret it.

That compression really sounds low? I thought it was right in spec but don't recall acceptable range. It's been a while. No external leaking. I see it puff after decel (and was told during hard accel). I can't just swap turbo because fittings are different...wish I could. I will need a set of OEM lines.

For the prosport I ran a wire to the kick panel next to your left leg. Turned lights on and off til I found a switched 12v.