I looked at 10 Supra's before I found THIS ONE ---> Build Up

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Update 7/7/08: Page 3
Update 7/27/08: Page 6

When I turned 16 and got my license, I wanted a Supra. The budget only allowed an NA, which at the time was good enough. I couldn't find a clean enough one, and gave up until I had the money to buy right.

A year ago, I got a job that would support a purchase. I bought the first one I saw. It was an 87 Turbo, 5-speed Targa, and it was BEAT. It had a full HKS dragger which was worth more than the car itself. I bought it for $1350, which was partially funded from the recent profit of a restored 1999 Kawi KX250.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V1rJQka-yZM

DSC02898.JPG

The car needed to be towed home due to a bad slave cylinder. I went through the basics of the car (slave cylinder, valve cover gaskets, fuel filter, plugs, wires, oil change, etc) before driving it to bring out its real flaws.

DSC03028.JPG

Big surprise, it had a BHG. I didn't know enough at the time but it had all the symptoms. No power at full boost, overheat after long boost periods, etc. It was just the beginning, next to leaking oil seals, leaking transmission, bad paint, etc. I added one pic of the car - it's more than enough to see why it went up for sale after two weeks. I even traded it for the mustang shown below - it was a beauty, but not the MK3 turbo I still wanted (yes, even trade. don't ask).

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The mustang went up for sale and I began a serious hunt for a clean turbo. I looked at 10 supra's and found nothing worth buying. The second to last car I saw was a 1987 Pearl white hardtop, 5-speed, turbo. It had MK4 wheels, koni's, Eibach's, 3" exhaust, intake, lex, 550's, SAFC-II, etc.

tims%20ad-2.jpg

It was mid-BHG change and I put a down payment on the car. Long story short, it wasn't done right and the car didn't fall under the agreed terms "If it's done right, i'll buy it". Needless to say, I was totally bummed.

The next weekend, I found the one.

It was for sale in Boston. Now, the irony of this car is that earlier in the summer (before MK3 #1), I almost bought the car from the second owner, but it was bought under me the day before I could get over. The man who bought it was ordered by the wife to pick a toy, and he let this go over a Z32 - which is fine by me.

I drove down with cash and a tow truck and it all began. $2700

DSC02640.JPG

DSC02922.JPG

DSC02892.JPG

1987 Pearl White Turbo, Targa, 5-speed, 92k miles, bone stock. Naturally, it needed a small amount of work. The previous owners were in their 50's and had the car very well maintained but it had sat for a few years before being sold. It needed tires, a timing belt, and some other drive-and-discover-what-it-needs work. The front bumper needed paint, although it was excellent elsewhere. The steering wheel and shift knob had wear, otherwise the interior was flawless.

The first week I got the car, I replaced the timing belt, did a tune up, valve-cover gaskets, and fluids.

DSC02688.JPG

I painted the front bumper and in-doing-so, noticed a split grille and cracked fog lights.

bumper_paint.jpg

I drove the car for one week before it went away for the winter. At this point, I knew very little about the car, but it ran EXCELLENT. Quiet, smooth, and I think it made every bit of power it made back in 1987. It was clearly never abused.

DSC03385.JPG

I took the car out of storage when I got out of school the last week of May 2008. The car sat for 7 months on jack stands over the winter and turned over in 2-3 seconds without need of a jumper. I drove it home (2hrs) and had no issues - like it was never parked.

I brought it the shop and it wasn't leaving until I took care of a few things. First, I needed to re-do the valve cover gaskets - damn those OEM screws. I replaced them with stainless socket-headed cap screws with lock washers and loctite. It worked perfect. I did brake pads and rotors all around, and a good head re-torque to 72 ft-lbs.

Over the winter, I acquired a few goodies that began to make their way on to the car. First, K&N intake. It made the wastegate and BPV tastefully audible. Next, SOGI short shift with new Marlin Crawler bushings. By far the best modification that can be made for <$100. It's short and very ratchet-like.

DSC04162.JPG

shifter_mod.jpg

I had a set of 16" all-seasons on my subaru, and I threw them on the 'blades in place of the dry-rotted tires on the supra. I put my new-to-me grille on, along with new-to-me fog lights. Last, the 89+ tails.

tails_left-2.jpg

I drove the car for two weeks and got a very clear idea of what it needs. First, the TEMS shocks are SHOT and I have a loose swaybar endlink. I will be replacing this all with Tokico Illumina's, Eibach, and ST Sway's within the next two weeks. Knowing it still wasn't just right, I parked it.

So, this brings me to the point where this thread goes from past to present.

Sawblades FTL, so I found some wheels. I have a soft spot for MK4 wheels on the MK3 and planned to get a set in a couple weeks, but couldn't pass up a recent purchase. (4) OEM Mustang Cobra wheels, 17x9", $150. I found them on craigslist and couldn't pass it up. I plan to go 255/45-17 front, 275/40-17 rear.

DSC04273.JPG

DSC04281.JPG

On-shelf, I have a 3" Cooleeze DP w/elbow, 2.5" test pipe, 7M afm (no air screw), lotek 2-pod pillar, 89+ 3-p wing, (wicked cool 4-button) HKS TT, and, now, prosport electric boost gauge.

The power plans are all of the above with AEM UEGO wideband (or Autometer), MBC with EGR soleniod bypass (or HKS EVC1,2), hardpipes, and 13ish psi. My goal is to need a helmet to run the car at New England Dragway (<13.99), but I think that might not come til next year.

Spent a whole weekend cleaning the car from every door/hood/trunk jam, to q-tip's on the interior.

DSC04190.JPG

DSC04199.JPG

^ My buddy's 350

I will continue to update the thread as I begin getting parts in. The community has been excellent about sharing tech tips, so please don't hesitate to ask if you see something I did that you have questions on.

Last edited:

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
Nice man, same color combo as mine and in great condition. The pearl's really shining through on that last day pic. My old supe used to have Cobra rims on it and they fit well. Those look to be the same ones my friend has on his '96 Cobra.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Yea, I think the Cobra wheels will work excellent. From what I have heard, 255's front, 275's rear, shouldn't rub the fenders. Anyone know if I can go wider than that on the 9" rims without rubbing issues? I believe they are +26mm offset - but say so with little confidence.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
That's a great car to start a build-up on. Ill look forward to following this thread. I love the pearl white, i hope you don't change up the color in the future. Congratulations on a good smart purchase.

coobies5

ttftw
May 7, 2008
Crosby,TX
nice read!
sounds like my trip for when i had to look for a truck i had to have looked over at least 200 different trucks no lie.....ebay, autotrader....local and not so local dealerships, lots of carfax reports, you name it......a whole 4 or 5 months to find mine

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Great looking car! You should go all the way with the 89+ look, and do the bumper cover later on. Also, a great job on the KX too! Gotta' love the green! I do want to warn you about the Mustang wheels though. Remember that they are not hub centric for the Supra. You probably will not be able to find rings for them also, as most are made for oem bore, to after-market bore. With that being said, you should have rings machined for them, or just be very careful when you torque down your lugnuts. Keep in mind that your lugs will be supporting all the rim/tire weight, and must be aligned perfectly in the holes, and then torqued in a star pattern carefully. You should also re-torque every week or so, especially if the roads are bad where you live. I would just spend the extra money and have the rings machined, for peace of mind. I had a set of Mustang wheels that balanced out really well, but never felt balanced because of the non hub centricity.
Good luck with your build.

Last edited:

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
91T breezen';1046183 said:
Great looking car! You should go all the way with the 89+ look, and do the bumper cover later on. Also, a great job on the KX too! Gotta' love the green! I do want to warn you about the Mustang wheels though. Remember that they are not hub centric for the Supra. You probably will not be able to find rings for them also, as most are made for oem bore, to after-market bore. With that being said, you should have rings machined for them, or just be very careful when you torque down your lugnuts. Keep in mind that your lugs will be supporting all the rim/tire weight, and must be aligned perfectly in the holes, and then torqued in a star pattern carefully. You should also re-torque every week or so, especially if the roads are bad where you live. I would just spend the extra money and have the rings machined, for peace of mind. I had a set of Mustang wheels that balanced out really well, but never felyt balanced because of the non hub centricity.
Good luck with your build.

I will highly consider this - I have access to a lathe at work and may turn down some ABS cylindrical stock we have to make rings. I have heard of people using PVC pipe. but I would have to get lucky for the ID and OD of the PVC to match.

I will measure the required ring size and see where I can get.

Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp

http://www.buywheelstoday.com/products/Hub+Centric+Rings.bwt

Worth every penny to me to hit the torerances right without having to arrange lathe time at my work.

Last edited:

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
87witmoreboost;1046048 said:
2.5" test pipe, 7M afm (no air screw)
The power plans are all of the above with AEM UEGO wideband (or Autometer), MBC with EGR soleniod bypass (or HKS EVC1,2), hardpipes, and 13ish psi. My goal is to need a helmet to run the car at New England Dragway (<13.99), but I think that might not come til next year.

as stated before, nice build thread.
i would stay away from the 2.5" test pipe and get a 3", very cheap to do yourself. do not run the 7m afm without the screw, as you will run lean and a AEM wideband is a must over the autometer= (crap). save the money you would spend on a mbc and get an electric bc, you will be happier. hardpipes and an ic are a great upgrade. then a turbo
good luck.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I am SO jealous of your car. I would gladly sell mine if I could have one that is as nice as yours. Your car is exactly the same as mine, but about 50x better.

Honestly, I would have kept the pre-89 taillights and sawblades on it.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
noah89t;1046783 said:
as stated before, nice build thread.
i would stay away from the 2.5" test pipe and get a 3", very cheap to do yourself. do not run the 7m afm without the screw, as you will run lean and a AEM wideband is a must over the autometer= (crap). save the money you would spend on a mbc and get an electric bc, you will be happier. hardpipes and an ic are a great upgrade. then a turbo
good luck.

Luckily, the way I dealt with the AFM screw removal (pics to come soon), I tapped the hole and can simply get a longer bolt to control un-metered air. I had read that the car is so pig-rich, that you can get away with it without being too lean - I suppose the wideband and careful driving will tell me right away.

Anyone else have any experience with AFR's after an air-screw mod?

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
noah89t;1047443 said:
i told you this from my own experience. when you back out the screw, you will run leaner. you can take that to the bank.

My apologies for appearing to ignore your $0.02. I guess the questions is how lean, but I assume from your piggyback suggestion that it will be unsafe. I can start with backing it out a small bit, and taking it further when I buy a SAFC late in the summer.

Lean, FTW? Nope.