i hear crickets...

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'm sure you'll get there someday, Brad.
In fact, I'm willing to bet a lot of people on this board would do the same were it a financial possibility.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
IJ.;1800187 said:
Are you that deluded that you think a 1j beats a 2J in any way shape or form??

Seriously dude time for a reality check... :nono:

:nono:

Ian doesn't get it. 7M and 1JZ owners argue all the time....

2JZ and 1JZ owners do the samething....It's an on going argument for which motor you have...

Last edited:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
threaddirection.jpg

Ahem...

jmoneydtb

Old Skool Kool Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006
mobile, al
Mkiv vs Mkiii debate is much to do with opinion rather than fact. I personally love anything and everything Supra so I try to be as realistic as possible. Mkiv's are superior in pretty much every way possible other than initial pricing. Mkiii's can be had for a relatively small investment and can made to perform quite well. The Mkiv has more popularity and therefore some increase on the cost of parts over the Mkiii's aftermarket, but the performance is simply phenomenal.
Basing off of fact again the 2jz is a far superior motor to both the 1jz and 7m. 2jz's have been taking over 1000hp on stock bottom ends, for us drag guys, this is stupid awesome but also a testament to the relability of the motor. The 1jz has a half a liter less displacement but doesn't suffer quite as much as compared to the equivilant Nissan motors. It revs high and has a pretty good reputation for its dependability as well. I have more to say but no pc and the ps3 won't let me type anymore and I don't want to post whore.

blksupratt

Aug 28, 2007
theodore, al
I have worked on jmoneydtb's car many many times and he has worked on both my mkiv and my wifes 1j sc400, so I feel we can give a fairly good comparison of the 3 engines, and in my opinion as far as out right performance and reliability the 2jz is the best, I have abused mine harder than most people could dream of and it is still going with over 600 drag passes and none below 24psi on 67+mm turbos. The 1jz is a great sounding motor and is quite strong for a 2.5 but the short stroke kills any tq and that is an issue for me personally. The 7m, once we fixed the BHG seems to be a pretty good engine and with an aftermarket turbo setup I am positive it will be much better, because you get rid of, in my experience the biggest issue, the ct26. That combined with a better manifold and wastegate setup is sure to wake that motor up tremendously. just my thoughts on this matter feel free to disagree if you want.

jmoneydtb

Old Skool Kool Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006
mobile, al
Yes, that's about where I was going. lol The 7m is also way more torquey than the others. I've seen several on here with 500+hp that still make more torque than horsepower, almost unheard of from anything smaller than a v8. That is 1 thing I can't recall ever seening a 2j do, though blk's did come close to it. Not saying it hasn't happened, I just don't remember the instance.

As far as the 2 forum boards go, there are very knowledgable people on both but the amount of those willing to actually help you over here is far greater. There are a lot of (not all) Mkiv owner's that give out a very bad image to non-Supra owner's. The Mkiii guys have pretty much come to accept that this is going to happen and have a tendancy of seperation.

I like fast cars, respect people that do it right and aren't complete asses. Muscle, jap import, euro import, doesn't matter to me. Give me a garage to turn wrenches in and a car that needs it. Give me a dragstrip on a Friday night and the local hangout on Saturday night. My $0.02.

blksupratt

Aug 28, 2007
theodore, al
there are a lot of elitist mkiv owners that think everything else is junk, we actually have a good case and point about that, our friend built and boosted his neon ( I know it's a neon) but it was respectable and he posted a picture on sf and basically got flamed off the site because he didn't have a supra, and to me that's rediculous. If you have a fast car, then you have a fast car no matter the make or model, I respect it. I don't get on this board that often but I have to say it is a nice change when I do, and the members are more respectful of each other. The whole elite mentality is one reason I'm glad I will be moving on from that chassis in the very very near future.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
toyotanos;1800171 said:
I'm sure you'll get there someday, Brad.
In fact, I'm willing to bet a lot of people on this board would do the same were it a financial possibility.
Actually, it's the old lady that's wanting the Mk4... as much as I would love to have one myself, I suspect that by the time my Mk3 is done, I will have built, in my eyes, a well balanced and mean-as-a-snake car as a Supra can be without breaking the bank. I've got my eyes set on a handling first, everything else later car... an NSX is in my future if finances line up right. For the same money as most Mk4's (turbo anyway), you can have an NSX, be a part of a much more exclusive club (not to say that I'm looking for an "ego" car, just like having cars that few, if any, around here have), and I think it suits my driving style well. :)

Plus, no sense in having TWO Mk4's at the same house, right? :rolleyes: :rofl:

blksupratt;1800378 said:
there are a lot of elitist mkiv owners that think everything else is junk, we actually have a good case and point about that, our friend built and boosted his neon ( I know it's a neon) but it was respectable and he posted a picture on sf and basically got flamed off the site because he didn't have a supra, and to me that's rediculous. If you have a fast car, then you have a fast car no matter the make or model, I respect it. I don't get on this board that often but I have to say it is a nice change when I do, and the members are more respectful of each other. The whole elite mentality is one reason I'm glad I will be moving on from that chassis in the very very near future.
I'd say I'd have more respect for someone who can make a Neon fast before I'd have the same respect for someone who made a Supra fast. Supras are made fast from the factory... Neons... not so much. Easy to make *power* with most anything, given the right approach, but it takes some work to make a FWD car based on an econo-car chassis fast. Props to your friend, SF can take their attitude and cram it.

This coming from a guy who REALLY doesn't like Neons...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I'd get an MKIV. Why? They are just nice cars, whether it's an NA or turbo six speed, I'd make it mine. A lot of these douches get their parents to buy their cars for them and can't cherish anything then go out and crash the car. :nono:

Local guy had a 502HP MKIII and he could not control the car to the point where it was parked up for most of the time....now he has a local shop building a nine second MKIV with a TH400. Really? Who is going to drive it, BigDaddy down in Florida?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I never understood those people Andy, if I were wealthy enough for someone else to be buying cars for me, I'd probably be spending as much time as I could in HPDE's and classes...

jdm-rhd

Jan 19, 2012
orbiting caprica
just noticed all the responses...

ive been on sf & ts since dec 2010. i really like ts a lot & spend most of my time there for supra related stuff & to hang out. i go to sf when i need to find some tech info or parts & actually bought the mkiv from one of the members when i won it on ebay. i do a lot more lurking on there cause i do notice a lot of flaming going on...especially with noobs. ive not really had any probs but there are some real jerks there. funny thing is several of them are mkiii guys. i learned about this place from hearing some of them talk trash about sm...figured it was a good site since they bad mouthed it lol.

i really love my mkiv & waited a long time to get one. didnt know much about the mkiii until getting on these forums & seeing some of the nice rides & great builds. ive really grown to love the looks of them & would prob get one for a dd if i didnt already have my heart set on getting an fd. who knows, may still happen if i run across the right one.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I agree with Mike in that the 2JZ and MKIV chassis are all around "better" than the 7M and MK3. Really, that should be pretty obvious since all manufacturers learn their lessons (the good ones at least) and improve on the shortcomings of the previous generation. Personally though, I would rather have the oldschool MK3 with a 7M built right (hopefully by spring time!) that can put most production cars to shame. I guess it's the fact that most people look down on the MK3s because of the "infamous" blown head gasket or rod knock, but with the few shortcomings fixed (head gasket, oiling/cooling system) and a little attention to detail I think it's much more impressive rolling around in a stout built 7M :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
arknotts;1801315 said:
I agree with Mike in that the 2JZ and MKIV chassis are all around "better" than the 7M and MK3. Really, that should be pretty obvious since all manufacturers learn their lessons (the good ones at least) and improve on the shortcomings of the previous generation.
That's why Toyota builds sooooo many good sports cars these days, all that time spent from the 60's up until they killed the Celica/MR-S in 2005, they've really refined the recipe for a great sports car. Oh wait... :p

Just kidding man, I know the business doesn't make sense for a sports car anymore, but you'd think by now they would be able to build some amazingly capable cars. Now, about that legislation on that sort of thing...

jdm-rhd;1801288 said:
i really love my mkiv & waited a long time to get one. didnt know much about the mkiii until getting on these forums & seeing some of the nice rides & great builds. ive really grown to love the looks of them & would prob get one for a dd if i didnt already have my heart set on getting an fd. who knows, may still happen if i run across the right one.
You know, I haven't owned a Mk4 (yet, would have by now if I didn't have my heart set on building a badass Mk3), but if I already had one, I would probably look at bringing a little variety into my life. Much as I love the idea of a Mk4 for myself, the old lady wants one, I'll let her buy one of those, I'll probably get an NSX for myself. Variety... spice of life my friend. ;)

Not saying a Mk3 is a step backward (they're really nice cars, especially if you can find a relatively stock one, or one kept in stock condition), don't get me wrong. :)

Suprizim TT

Apr 26, 2008
Los Angeles
te72;1801721 said:
That's why Toyota builds sooooo many good sports cars these days, all that time spent from the 60's up until they killed the Celica/MR-S in 2005, they've really refined the recipe for a great sports car. Oh wait... :p

Just kidding man, I know the business doesn't make sense for a sports car anymore, but you'd think by now they would be able to build some amazingly capable cars. Now, about that legislation on that sort of thing...

You know, I haven't owned a Mk4 (yet, would have by now if I didn't have my heart set on building a badass Mk3), but if I already had one, I would probably look at bringing a little variety into my life. Much as I love the idea of a Mk4 for myself, the old lady wants one, I'll let her buy one of those, I'll probably get an NSX for myself. Variety... spice of life my friend. ;)

Not saying a Mk3 is a step backward (they're really nice cars, especially if you can find a relatively stock one, or one kept in stock condition), don't get me wrong. :)

LOL... I agree with you MKIII is not a step back, if you can find a good decent car then you can build that car up well as long as you do it right. I love the MKIV i would love to own one but those cars cost a lot $$$, that's why I don't own one :(... But OP yes most of if not all MKIV guys are at SuraForums if you go there is the same like being here you don't really see MKIII guys. I only go there just for technical questions or Info on the 2JZ engine but I like SupraMania more.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Suprizim TT;1807178 said:
But OP yes most of if not all MKIV guys are at SuraForums if you go there is the same like being here you don't really see MKIII guys. I only go there just for technical questions or Info on the 2JZ engine but I like SupraMania more.

You'd be surprised how many MKIV guys there are around here...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Just because they don't post in this section doesn't mean they don't post at all. ;)

Just off the top of my head, I can think of a few that are somewhat frequent posters.