i hear crickets...

jdm-rhd

Jan 19, 2012
orbiting caprica
sooooo....was checking out the mkiv section & was surprised that there is not much going on here. maybe im not looking in the right place...i am a noob here. i joined a few days ago. seems there is plenty of mkiii guys around, maybe thats why no one has said hi. where are all the mkiv's? anyone from tx?

M-train

Jan 29, 2012
Bama
jfreeman;1796726 said:
You'll see more Mkivs over at SupraForums, this forum is generally for Mk3s but not limited to...

Believe me you DON'T want to go to that forum unless you have a VERY thick skin.

I was recommended this site, and I just joined another call thesupraforums.com that looks to be ok.

Just to let you know, I'm not a kid out trolling {in my 50's}, and I'm a member of many vintage Mustang/Ford sites where I get along well with everyone.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Eh, I never even bothered with SF to be honest. This place just feels like home, no matter what you drive. That, and the majority of the staff is EXTREMELY knowledgeable (many beyond just Supras) about most anything you could think of automotive related. Not to mention, the search engine here works if you read the tutorial thread and know how to use it. :)

Welcome aboard though.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
M-train;1799359 said:
Believe me you DON'T want to go to that forum unless you have a VERY thick skin.

I was recommended this site, and I just joined another call thesupraforums.com that looks to be ok.

Just to let you know, I'm not a kid out trolling {in my 50's}, and I'm a member of many vintage Mustang/Ford sites where I get along well with everyone.
It's where the Turds we flush here end up..

As for the OP it's all about "Content" it's a case of post it and they will come, Post some pics/info about your Mk4 and any plans you have for it and people will ask questions chat and start telling you about their cars.

M-train

Jan 29, 2012
Bama
Just out of curiosity what are some of the better things on the Mk3 Supra's vs the Mk4's?

I'm still learning about all of this so I would be interested as I do believe a newer vehicle can be made worse than its predecessor. Example the Mustang II.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
M-train;1799775 said:
Just out of curiosity what are some of the better things on the Mk3 Supra's vs the Mk4's?

I'm still learning about all of this so I would be interested as I do believe a newer vehicle can be made worse than its predecessor. Example the Mustang II.

Hard question to answer, I'd only listen to someone that's owned both cars for a good amount of time each, Mike/SupraCentral springs to mind.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
M-train;1799775 said:

I'll caveat this by stating it's opinion, and others might have differing views. Also, we won't get into looks as that's about as subjective a topic as you can get. Some people hate the MKIV and love the MKIII. Others are the inverse. Personally I love the way they both look.

With that out of the way, if you can look at it rationally (and many people just can't) just about everything about the MKIV is superior to the MKIII in some way. Aerodynamically it's superior. The 2JZ is superior to the 7M in just about every way, from longevity to the ability to produce power. The MKIV engine management is worlds ahead of the MKIII system. The MKIV braking system held the world record for fastest stopping street car from 1997 until 2004 (70mph to 0 braking distance of 149 ft) -- (It was beat by the grey market Porche Carerra GT with carbon ceramic brakes.) -- anyone who has driven a MKIII hard knows the phrase "barely adequate" describes the stock brakes rather well. The MKIII pulls a respectable .89 G on the skidpad, but the MKIV pulls a .98. Power to weight ratios are also another area; while the stock MKIII Turbo runs at 232 hp in it's finest trim, the MKIV comes in at 320, and it's a (200+ lb) lighter car to boot.

In many ways the MKIV is simply an evolutionary step of the same car. They have a lot in common. Very similar suspension geometry, drivetrain, design goals, etc. But the MKIV benefits from nearly a decade of new technology, a slightly more performance oriented design goal and the ability to look back at the MKIII, find the mistakes or inadequacies and correct them.

There are a few places the MKIII beats the MKIV. First of all, cupholders - the MKIV doesn't have any. The seats are better in the MKIII - much more comfortable (and much heavier). The digital climate control in the MKIII is a hell of a lot neater looking than the MKIV system, however both perform about the same. (A/C that would freeze out a polar bear, heat that would make a desert lizard faint...) The MKIII has a much better gauge package from the factory. (Hell the MKIV doesn't even have a boost or oil pressure gauge).

Driving the two is really where the differences shine. While the MKIII is a damned fun car to drive, there's a refinement to the MKIV that the III just doesn't have. Again, nearly 10 years of high tech makes a difference.

Commercially, the MKIII was definitely the winner by far. For the 1st half of its life, the MKIV priced itself out of the market (You could pick up a Porsche for not much more than the TT sticker price) and by the time Toyota realized this and dropped the price, environmental laws (1996 was automatic only because the 6 spd couldn't pass emissions) and CAFE standards started squeezing the MKIV out to make room for more SUV's and pickup trucks.

Overall they are both phenomenal cars provided you place them in time where they were made. By today's standards, neither is a real performer, although you can get supercar performance out of either with the right amount of time, money and effort. However if you start with a bone stock MKIII and a bone stock MKIV, and spend equal time, money and effort, the MKIV is always going to be out in front.

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary.

PS -- I've owned nearly 20 of theses cars btw, 15 of them being MKIII's.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
M-train;1799775 said:

I feel that you get more bang for your buck with an Mk3 over an Mk4. Ever since the Fast and Furious movies hit the screen, the Mk4's dollar value skyrocketed.

From an engine management standpoint, they are the same. Meaning, neither have flash-able ECU's, and both require the use of piggybacks or standalones for tuning.

The 2JZGTE (Mk4) a better platform than the 7MGTE and 1JZGTE (Mk3).

Personally, I think the Mk3 is cosmetically superior. I just LOVE the lines! Sorry Mike. ;)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Mike said it best... Your dollar to power ratio is highest with the 2J as compared to the other platforms.

...and we all know that even the much hated 7M>1J. ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
toyotanos;1800077 said:
Ever heard a 7M at 8500?
Yeah, they tend to sound similar to the pizza guy at my door. :rofl:

Just kidding man, sound wise, the 7m wins hands down 99% of the time. Between the two, I'd say I prefer the price, and the seats of the Mk3 to the Mk4. That's about all that's not subjective in my eyes, and I've owned Mk1, 2, and 3... no 4, at least not yet.