i have lost 2 torque converter bolts have a question

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
i lost two converter bolts for my car i still have 4 and i have ordered 2 from toyota but they won't be here till wednesday i bolted them in as follows i put 1 in and skipped a hole put 1 in skipped a hole till all four were in the converter and flywheel?flexplate whatever they call them i've heard both can i drive it to my dads which is like 25 miles away from where it is. see it needs to be gone this weekend but i don't want to break anything. I figure if a chevy only uses 4 converter bolts then i guess it would be ok till wednesday but i just want some input on this so thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
why dont you just to the hard ware store and find a couple of bolts to get you by?

iirc my 70 nova uses 6 bolts not 4.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
what do you mean? what hardware store did you go to?

most hard ware stores can match the thread type with the bolt length. of its too long cut it.

its better to be safe than sorry.

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
none of them had the right thread pitches wouldn't match none i tried standard metric and even pipe threads none would match i'm totally at a loss for this i guess i'll just have to wait i dunno maybe would a mechanics shop have those maybe napa its a weird thread type i've never not been able to get a bolt for a car at the hardware store this is a first. ace hardware is where i went.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
my small block in my chevy runs 3 bolts from the torque converter to the flex plate... 6 to hold the flex plate to the crank... now are you missing the bolts that hold the flexplate to the crank or the flex to the torque converter?

if its the torque converter... personally I would say drive it easy and you'll be fine... i wouldnt suggest taking it out on the highway or any kind of highspeed stuff... just incase something does happen... but its very unlikely that it would shear the other 4 bolts off...

good luck either way.

-AcId-

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
mercuryfreak200;1512949 said:
none of them had the right thread pitches wouldn't match none i tried standard metric and even pipe threads none would match i'm totally at a loss for this i guess i'll just have to wait i dunno maybe would a mechanics shop have those maybe napa its a weird thread type i've never not been able to get a bolt for a car at the hardware store this is a first. ace hardware is where i went.

you are not looking in the right places. any good hardware store will have every bolt you need and the people that know there stuff will have the thread pitch tools to get you the bolt you need. take the bolt you need to to either home depot/lowes/ace and they will find you the bolt you need.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
well... it will def. be metric... most likely 8 or 10mm with either a 1.25 or 1.5 pitch... most places do carry them... I dont have any laying around or I could tell you the size/pitch you need

-AcId-

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
oh and another thing when i pulled my motor and tranny apart it only had 5 bolts going to the crank shaft i already put it together so i can move it this weekend but waht is an easy way to get the tranny off so i can put that 6th bolt into the crank and flywheel it will bug me forever until i get one in there im going to do it this summer i can probably get my buddy to let me use his lift when he goes on vacation.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
pull the driveshaft... get a tranny jack under the trans and unbolt the bellhousing bolts... there "should" be enough room to move the trans back a couple of inches... enough to get the bolt in place anyways... they make a special wrench for just that which makes the job a bit easier in the cramped space... but either way its doable...

-AcId-