i have lost 2 torque converter bolts have a question

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Jetfixr757;1513443 said:
They are quite special, do not use other than Toyota bolts.
Jet

Suggest you read/heed this - not the usual bolt you find at any hardware store. Can hardly believe it was even suggested - especially in the Tech Section. :3d_frown:

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
jdub;1513526 said:
Suggest you read/heed this - not the usual bolt you find at any hardware store. Can hardly believe it was even suggested - especially in the Tech Section. :3d_frown:

If you read what was said... it was for TEMPORARY use... no one had suggested he use them permanently... but just to get the car the 25 miles he needed to go until the toyota parts get in....

personally... I dont think he would have a problem running the 5 he has... but others suggested he try and find a 6th just to get him where he needed to go...

and if a properly sized bolt of the correct strength is used from a bolt shop or hardware store... I see nothing wrong with it because in all honesty... a bolt is a bolt (AS LONG as its of proper strength and size)... doesnt matter where it comes from.

Anyways... just didnt understand why people where ranting about the suggestoins of temporary solutions...
-AcId-

Last edited:

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
AcIdBuRn02ZTS;1513555 said:
because in all honesty... a bolt is a bolt (AS LONG as its of proper strength and size)... doesnt matter where it comes from.

-AcId-

And just where have you ever seen a 9mm bolt sold anywhere besides Toyota, and maybe off German car?

When I started ripping them out of my torque converter, I went looking for stronger ones, everywhere........
They don't exist.
I finally tapped by converters out to 10mm, and use ARPs.

(attitude removed)
Quicker, simpler to just go buy what you need from Toyota.

I am sure there are members with these laying around, and would send you a few just for the shipping.
Or order in a few from Champion Toyota.

Personally, I would not be afraid of driving the car a few miles, being very light on the throttle, just to pick some up somewhere.

Last edited:

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Yeah, I am being grumpy today.......

If your in no rush, PM your address, I'll throw a couple in an envelope for you.
If we ever meet up, you can buy me a soda.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
I wasnt talking about the size of the bolt... yes that specific bolt would be darn near impossible to find... what I was talking about is everyone saying that a hardware store/bolt shop replacement bolt of same size/strength is a bad idea and I didnt understand why...

I didnt mean to push any buttons... but was just defending the guys saying "Hey... for a temp. solution... try a hardware store, etc..." and didnt get why everyone was saying how much of a bad idea it was... specifically the person I quoted...

I do understand that the size is practically impossible to find... I just didnt know why it would be a problem if one could find the correct size bolt at a hardware store, etc... to use it for temp. use...

Anyways... the op does have some coming wed. apparently from the stealership

-AcId-

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
AcIdBuRn02ZTS;1513555 said:
If you read what was said... it was for TEMPORARY use... no one had suggested he use them permanently... but just to get the car the 25 miles he needed to go until the toyota parts get in....

personally... I dont think he would have a problem running the 5 he has... but others suggested he try and find a 6th just to get him where he needed to go...

and if a properly sized bolt of the correct strength is used from a bolt shop or hardware store... I see nothing wrong with it because in all honesty... a bolt is a bolt (AS LONG as its of proper strength and size)... doesnt matter where it comes from.

Anyways... just didnt understand why people where ranting about the suggestoins of temporary solutions...
-AcId-

I did read what was said and my opinion has not changed.

First - you never mentioned anything about proper bolt strength. A bolt is not a bolt, especially where the drive train is concerned.

Second - Temporary or not, using a low grade hardware bolt is asking for disaster.

Third - You call what I said a rant? Grow a pair Nancy.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS;1513604 said:
I wasnt talking about the size of the bolt... yes that specific bolt would be darn near impossible to find... what I was talking about is everyone saying that a hardware store/bolt shop replacement bolt of same size/strength is a bad idea and I didnt understand why...

I didnt mean to push any buttons... but was just defending the guys saying "Hey... for a temp. solution... try a hardware store, etc..." and didnt get why everyone was saying how much of a bad idea it was... specifically the person I quoted...

I do understand that the size is practically impossible to find... I just didnt know why it would be a problem if one could find the correct size bolt at a hardware store, etc... to use it for temp. use...

Anyways... the op does have some coming wed. apparently from the stealership

-AcId-

Reference the bold statement. I am a primary moderator in the tech Sections - it is my task to correct any BS. That is what I was doing and I did not take any action against you other than what I posted. That can change very, very quickly. Do not post anything other than fact in the tech sections - you seem to have a problem with that. This is your only warning.

You got a problem with this? PM an admin and watch what happens.

The OP can do what he wants. I plainly said what I would do. He can listen to whoever he wants.