I bought another Geo Metro

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
LOL, lazy. I used a cordless drill and a bench vice and it took me all of 5 minutes to swap both struts. This included drilling all 4 screws, then using the screw remover and drill to unscrew the retarded screw, using the bench vice to remove the screw from the screw remover, and install the new 10mm bolts with a screwdriver style socket wrench. I didn't even have to remove the factory ball mounts on the pillars, I just unscrewed the screws and then moved the strut in a way that it created leverage on the ball and cause the strut to pop off the strut.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Hey they worked....if you held the hatch open for about 10 seconds :p

Did you do a headlight rewire with relays yet? Can also disable the DRL's at the same time. The headlights ground to a single pin in the fuse box and it's a fire hazard...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Was the only real fault I found with the car. I think most of the issue is because of GM's slapped on daytime running lights as it means the lights are always on, PLUS they run a resister to dim them leading to more load on a circuit that wasn't designed for it. Also, if it does end up burning the pin on the fusebox, it's a bitch to pull out as it has connectors on both sides of it and it's far from "neat."

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, it is a pretty gay feature. Better though than the auto locking doors. My 94 had that and it drove me nuts. I ended up unplugging the doors to solve that issue. I've heard of a couple Metro guys grounding the e-brake switch to fool the car into thinking the e-brake is always on. 1 guy installed a switch so he could turn the DRL's on and off with the flip of a switch. Only downside is the e-brake light is always on.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
All you have to do is pull the DRL control box under the dash and make 2 connections at the connector and it's gone :) If you do the headlight rewire, you'll still have DRL's, but they won't be dimmed unless you remove the DRL system.

if you didn't already know about it: http://www.teamswift.net/

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
The curse of the burned out headlight relay strikes again! Last night my headlights wouldn't work but the DRL's would, so I did some searching (on here first) and discovered the burned connector issue. Took a bit of hunting and guessing to find the brown wire with the yellow stripe (the stripe was more white than yellow) but I got it done. I gotta say, that is some seriously tight space under the dash to work with.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Time for an update. I replaced my tires a few weeks ago with new ones that are the propper size (155/80-13). And today I started work on the rear wheel skirts. I got the passenger side complete (took me a couple hours), so tomorrow I'll fab up the drivers side skirt. Once that's done I'll remove my front air dam and install some more coroplast as a front belly pan and rear belly pan so that the air has less resistance while under my car, especially in the rear bumper. By installing the coroplast in front of the rear bumper it will block it off from being a big parachute that catches air and slows me down. I'll post pics up tomorrow when I'm all done.

In case anyone is wondering, to make my rear wheel skirts I used 5 or 6 3/8" pop rivets with washers, black coroplast, a strip of carpet transition metal, self tapping screws, and some nuts/bolts/washers that use the same size wrench as my pizza pan hubcaps.

I should note that I have now driven this car over 28,700 miles so far since I bought it 11 months ago.

Last edited:

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Maybe 5 MPG. Dunno really. I've been getting 45.7 MPG on average over my last 10 fill-ups (7 of them being this month). I will be filling up again tomorrow so we'll see how effective it really is. Got atleast 100 miles of driving to do tomorrow.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I took my wife on a 5 day vacation in Portland and got back last night. While there I did my 30k mile maintenance. Luckily my step-dad manages a NAPA so I got a killer discount on the parts. I changed all this:

Oil
oil filter
spark plugs
spark plug wires
distributor cap and rotor
timing belt
fuel filter
air filter

Not bad for only spending $99 on parts. So far so good. Looks like I picked up atleast 1 MPG by doing all the maintenance. I lost maybe 1/4 gallon of gas replacing the fuel filter but even then I still managed 47.1 MPG after the maintenance. If you take into account the estimated fuel loss I got about 48.4 MPG. I'll find out in a couple days :)